• Thread starter chris ratay traveler
  • Start date
chris ratay traveler

chris ratay traveler

Overlanding South America w T6.1 Ocean 204, 4M+
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Got to play a bit in the Sahara and must say I'm really enjoying the van. It's not a sand monster like the Defender was back in 2018, but still quite capable.

I played with traction control, locking rear diff, and manual vs automatic. Mostly drove with traction off and manual shifting. I tested the diff lock and it seemed to help a lot, but truthfully didn't test the van as hard as I would've liked.

My van came with lower profile street tires so I couldn't safely deflate (255/45r18) for better traction, and surprisingly there was nobody else around, so getting stuck wouldn't be fun and lingered in my choice of tracks.

I'm already signed up for an off-road course in Germany in May - just to understand the true capabilities compared to my 4x4 Defender. The van will have smaller rims and proper AT tires by then, which will make a big difference.

Had a few pucker moments, which is always fun. At one point I realized the sand was getting deeper and deeper but I had to push on a bit further to get to the next plateau. After a quick pause at the top to reassess, I reversed down with enough momentum to carry me thru a big dip.

When a vehicle starts to get bogged down, there's a fine line between creating more momentum and digging a hole/sinking. I decided on more throttle and slight moving of the steering wheel for additional traction, and made it out to firmer sand.

If we were moving forward it would've been easier, but I was concerned we'd get stuck doing a multipoint turn on the narrow plateau, and opted for action vs overthinking. Fortunately, we didn't have to start walking to find help.

We've had the van for 4 months and travelled over 10,000km thru several countries, and I think this is a fantastic overland vehicle for my style of travel:
Visiting congested cities, covering long distances in comfort, driving off-pavement, and wild camping when we want.

Glam shots...

20230316_124812.jpg

20230316_130236.jpg

20230316_125836.jpg

20230316_125035.jpg

20230316_123235.jpg

Last edited:
Looks amazing your doing what most of us just think about !! Please please send more pictures and reports good luck

Looks great - was the Erg Chebbi or Cheggaga dunes ?
sand driving great fun, we were told it gets harder to drive midday when sand warms up
did a trip there in 2013 with Atlas Overland guiding us, with our Toyota Landcruiser we had then, loved it and wild camps in the desert.

Looks great - was the Erg Chebbi or Cheggaga dunes ?
sand driving great fun, we were told it gets harder to drive midday when sand warms up
did a trip there in 2013 with Atlas Overland guiding us, with our Toyota Landcruiser we had then, loved it and wild camps in the desert.
This was Erg Chebbi. I went in much deeper back then as I had my Defender and 2 other vehicles to support each other.
Screenshot_20230318_104710.jpg

Later we drove down on our own thru Senegal to Conekry, including some unexpected detours in Mauritania.

Defender is better for the Dunes, though the Cali is better for world travel.

Screenshot_20230317_210949.jpg

@chris ratay traveler
Saw your puncture.
Glad you got it fixed…. But
You should have got a spare 17” steel wheel and tyre.
And bought the carrier.
It fits underneath the 4Motion, no problem.
It has the same rolling circumference as the 18” !
I just bought one from Unique Vans in the UK.
Maybe you can find one ?
195ED9F6-62E5-448A-94AA-1BD9B4CC7BAF.jpeg

@chris ratay traveler
Saw your puncture.
Glad you got it fixed…. But
You should have got a spare 17” steel wheel and tyre.
And bought the carrier.
It fits underneath the 4Motion, no problem.
It has the same rolling circumference as the 18” !
I just bought one from Unique Vans in the UK.
Maybe you can find one ?
Thanks. Couldn't change the wheels before I left (long story).

Once back home from this trip I'll be switching to 5x 17" Steels and AT Tires - 225/65r17, which roll different than my 255/45r18.
Haven't decided between a 35 and 55 offset...

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 12.06.40 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks. Couldn't change the wheels before I left (long story).

Once back home from this trip I'll be switching to 5x 17" Steels and AT Tires - 225/65r17, which roll different than my 255/45r18.
Haven't decided between a 35 and 55 offset...

View attachment 106078

That’s the beauty, you can keep the 18” and have a 17” as a spare.

I had AT’s on. BFG.
Terrible smell while driving, and they were too LOUD !
I’d go with winters for winter and some grippy smoother AT’s for summer grass / mud use.
IMO

Back