Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2020 WiFi / MiFi solution

Billylou

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I've looked through previous posts/threads regarding in Cali WiFi or Mifi solutions and when i look at the dates they were posted I get the impression things might of moved on and there are alternative, better or dare I say it cheaper options out there. We've had our heads turned a little by the company that were at the NEC, Wifi onboard (www.wifionboard.co.uk) but are a little unsure about the benefits of MiFi v's WiFi. Once the boarders reopen and our old cat heads off to the rainbow bridge we plan to spend extended periods of time in Europe and that's our reason for looking for a solution. Does anyone now of good reliable systems that enable good coverage and the ability to access Netflix as an example during those wet chilly evenings? If Wifi is better or worse than Mifi etc? Many thanks

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I use Vodafone MiFi. I never need external WiFi, I don’t use campsites. The coverage in the countries I have been through so far has been very good almost everywhere. The other useful feature about mine is that it seems to locate me in London, no matter where I actually am on the continent, so I can access BBC iPlayer without a VPN.
If you are travelling check out the fair use limits of the contract carefully, they can be very restrictive in terms of both data and allowable duration outside the U.K.
The Vodafone contracts with a defined data limit can use all their data abroad, whereas their more recent unlimited data contracts have a fair use cap of around 25GB I think.

Tomato

Tomato

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
I use Vodafone MiFi. I never need external WiFi, I don’t use campsites. The coverage in the countries I have been through so far has been very good almost everywhere. The other useful feature about mine is that it seems to locate me in London, no matter where I actually am on the continent, so I can access BBC iPlayer without a VPN.
If you are travelling check out the fair use limits of the contract carefully, they can be very restrictive in terms of both data and allowable duration outside the U.K.
The Vodafone contracts with a defined data limit can use all their data abroad, whereas their more recent unlimited data contracts have a fair use cap of around 25GB I think.
I have just signed up for unlimited UK 4G data sim from Vodafone which has a 25GB limit in EU, 12 month contract, £13.50/ 6 months £27 pm after. This will enable our 5 year old iPad zombie to ignore the stunning Norwegian fjords whilst he plays Dinopark. I’ll put this in a Kuma 4G router & booster with extra antenna (about £150) should give good EU wide coverage, plus our mobiles are on 3 and O2 so we have other options.

VW California Club