Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2012 140 Cali cutting power when going downhill

D

dclegg

I apologise if this has already been covered on here but I have a late 2012 140bhp Cali. When driving along at a steady pace (i.e. not accelerating) if the van starts to go down an incline it cuts the power, if I then accelerate it seems to hesitate before accelerating.

I’m not sure if this is a fuel saving feature that I just have to live with or a fault with my van?

Any help much appreciated

I have a 2012 140 too and haven't noticed what you're describing.

I'm aware some vehicles cut the fuel when coasting down hill but I've never actually noticed it happening before.

Thanks for your replies, no its not a Blue Motion version and cruise is switched off, thanks

Hi

Mine does the same, although it's not too noticeable.

I simply put it down to having a single turbo, (I believe previous diesel engine was a detuned 2.5tdi to 140bhp which didn't suffer from this), heavier vehicle (compared to a similar powered golf) and the drop in revs.

Any other thoughts anyone?

All modern engines cut the fuel supply when you take your foot off the accelerator. If you are going down hill the momentum of the van may be sufficient to mean you don't need fuel to keep the same speed. Perhaps you are lifting off the accelerator without realizing it?

I find this does happen particularly just after a crest of a hill. In other words when you go down just after going up!

Yes i understand that it will cut the fuel supply off when my foot is off the pedal but it is most definately still pressed, and then hesitates when i press it to compensate, seems like the cut off is cutting in just a bit too early on my van. I will speak to VW, thanks for your comments

Back