Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 seater or 3 seater Beach

D

dale6

VIP Member
Hi,
I'm just looking at buying a beach and just wanted some feedback on the seating options in the rear.
I have two in mind and one has the three and one had two in the rear.

The 3 is brand new and a good chunk more to buy so leaning towards the 2 seater. We only have two kids so the 2 seater will be sufficient but is the 2 seater with a storage box a good option or does that unit limit your space in the van?
I would like to use it as a van now and then and a daily use vehicle so wasn't sure if the storage unit limits the use with space loading in the back.

Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.
We used to have a California SE but didn't use the facilities much so thought a beach would tick all the boxes as a camper and van. I presume it drives better slightly as I'm guessing its a lot lighter.

Also the 2 seater comes with a good basic spec - dsg, sat nav, parking sensors, cruise but thats about it. No heated seats, auto lights/wipers, multifunction wheel. Do you think this could be an issue on resale or do most people just look for the basics and good condition/low mileage.

Apologies for all the questions but just wanted to get this right as its still a large purchase.

Thanks again

Last edited:
The 3 seater has a slightly higher bed and multi flex board so you get more space under the rear but less on top.

The 2 seater has one big drawer the 3 seater 3 smaller ones.

I've never used a 2 seat so can't really comment but I always felt the side storage would be useful camping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The storage box is removable I believe though.

You'll get different opinions on this. Personally, I think if you don't need 3 seats the 2 seat bench offers greater flexibility. It offers a more comfortable bed with more headroom than the 3 seat. The storage box is easily removed for loading long items

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

The storage box is removable I believe though.

Thanks Matt,
A dealership claims it isn't but sometimes you never know if they really know what they are saying.

Also the 2 seater comes with a good basic spec - dsg, sat nav, parking sensors, cruise but thats about it. No heated seats, auto lights/wipers, multifunction wheel. Do you think this could be an issue on resale or do most people just look for the basics and good condition/low mileage.

Apologies for all the questions but just wanted to get this right as its still a large purchase.

Thanks Matt,
A dealership claims it isn't but sometimes you never know if they really know what they are saying.
I see them for sale on eBay and they have the same rail fixings as the multiplex so I assumed they do.

May be different on t6?

We have the 3-seater and regret not having taken the 2-seater. With the 2-seater you have the same wide bed but more storage space. Also, the lower 2-seater bed makes it easier to sit up in bed with the roof down.

Lack of parking heater might be an issue but can be added as an aftermarket fit I believe.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Hi,
I'm just looking at buying a beach and just wanted some feedback on the seating options in the rear.
I have two in mind and one has the three and one had two in the rear.

The 3 is brand new and a good chunk more to buy so leaning towards the 2 seater. We only have two kids so the 2 seater will be sufficient but is the 2 seater with a storage box a good option or does that unit limit your space in the van?
I would like to use it as a van now and then and a daily use vehicle so wasn't sure if the storage unit limits the use with space loading in the back.

We used to have a California SE but didn't use the facilities much so thought a beach would tick all the boxes as a camper and van. I presume it drives better slightly as I'm guessing its a lot lighter.

Thanks again
I have a two seater Beach, but for our trip to Spain with three relatives we've hired a three seat bench. There's only two of us normally, but I much prefer the two seat layout because it feels more spacious, and the storage unit is really useful.

I have a two seater Beach, but for our trip to Spain with three relatives we've hired a three seat bench. There's only two of us normally, but I much prefer the two seat layout because it feels more spacious, and the storage unit is really useful.
I love the flexibility of the 3 seat version, and the cavernous storage below the bench and multiflex when the lower bed is made up.

There will be a used market for folk wanting the 2 seater and then add a set of units (like maxxcamp or other). That way you get a manual roof full camper.
The 5 seaters seem to have been by far the most popular recently, based on folk needing the seat capacity. So the 4 seaters feel scarce and there will always be a demand for them.

We are currently deep into researching a Beach purchase and whilst everyone's needs vary we feel the 2 seat is definately the favourite for us. No kids, several dogs. Storage box will be very useful plus it allows you to seat someone at 90 degrees to the rear seat so you can have a nice lounge atmosphere with all the seats in camping configuration. The downstairs bed is much flatter.

Also I'm pretty sure that in a few years a 2 seat Beach will be in demand by people who'll be happy to install some side cabinets to create a full-on camper (and who don't want the worry of an out of warranty SE/Ocean with all the complicated roof gubbins).

2 seater is definitely better for storage. 3 seater better for carrying people.

Also one good thing with the 3 seater on long journeys is you can move to the back and entertain grumpy children!

2 seater is definitely better for storage. 3 seater better for carrying people.

Also one good thing with the 3 seater on long journeys is you can move to the back and entertain grumpy children!
My wife has done that several times over the past seven weeks - moved from the front passenger seat to the rear middle. It takes some reorganisation of the dogs, but it is a useful flexibility of having a 3 seat bench and two young children.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

We do the same with our dogs, it is indeed handy I never considered it until now.

This is a real old Chestnut topic so I'm going to cut and paste my last reply on this subject! :)

...the Beach two seater is rarer. Blame this on the dealers who have always pushed the 3 seater although VW themselves always saw this more as a 'day van/people carrier' whereas the two seater was the basic day van/camper van of the Cali range. To me it's simple - if you need to carry more than two in the back regularly or go away camping with three in the back then you need the three seater - for all other purposes the two seater with it's removable storage box/'L' shaped 'lounge' (!), flat bed, kitchen pod possibility and huge underseat drawer is generally much more practical for most couples or those with one of two kids. And for occasional transport of three if you really have to then get a third removable seat.

'James' used to post loads on this - really useful stuff, shame he's not on any more:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/swapping-two-seater-bench-for-three-seater.1699/

To quote from some of his posts which sum up the old 'two vs three' argument:

"The two seater bench model is only ever designed to have one extra facing seat. The two seater bench is a flatter bigger seat. The storage drawer gets in the way of providing two extra seats.

If you want the two extra seats - you need the three seater bench - this also gives you the chance to create the 'long bed' by using the extra seats

The two bench seat Cali is a camping vehicle - it's not designed for MPV practicality - one extra seat goes in with limited leg room because the bench seat is bigger and the board does not fold.

If you are buying a two seater - you are buying something geared up for going away/camping...

The three seater Beach does have a board which folds and it has a rear seat akin to a Caravelle - it's not like a bed, unlike the two seater. The three seat bench Beach can utilise additional seats to make a long bed.

You can't really buy one and turn it into something else easily. They are vehicles with a different remit. Most people in the UK will be looking at something like a MPV. In this instance, you'd need to look at the three seater bench.

The three seater Beach has a board that folds in half, so you can drop half of it, push the rear seat back further and include two additional seats for leg room and if required create a larger bed.

The MPV style you want - would only truly come with a three seater version - that is why VW produce the three seater version.

You have got to think of the Beach two seater and three seater not so much as variations but vehicles with a different purpose and focus - one is geared towards being an MPV and one a Camper/Weekend Van.

Technically speaking the Beach is not based on the Caravelle. The two seater Beach was always designed to be a day van/camper. It's history stems from Multivans. It's a bit confusing in this country because the Beach is sold on its versatility but that only really applies if you opt for the three seater. It's probably why the majority of the dealer demos are three seaters because that for the uk market is easier to sell. Campers in mainland Europe are far more popular...

I guess VW eventually introduced the three seater Beach to give it some mpv versatility. You have to remember that aside from a pop to roof the caravelle can be specced as a camper. Parking heater, swivel seats and board etc. So the beach has always needed to be something different. "

And of course for flexibility in fitting a kitchen unit/pod whatever the 2 seater is the one:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/building-a-kitchen-pod-for-the-beach.14752/

It is very easy to modify the Multiflex too:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...n-my-two-seater-beach-help.14700/#post-160684

Also the 2 seater comes with a good basic spec - dsg, sat nav, parking sensors, cruise but thats about it. No heated seats, auto lights/wipers, multifunction wheel. Do you think this could be an issue on resale or do most people just look for the basics

That's more or less me & my two-seat Beach @dale6 - but otherwise 'what Max said that James said' ... I love how airy & spacious it feels inside. Only disadvantage (obvs) is one less seat, which I still occasionally forget - "lets go in the van!, oh, no, there's five of us ..." Psychologically my brain still assumes big cars have five seats.

- Key point is bed & board are lower in the 2 than the 3, so very handy as a wide flat van base with lots of height, box isn't an issue

IMG_5231.JPG

- I went from an Ocean style kitchen unit in a T5 conversion to a Beach exactly as I was sick of lugging around a pristine hob & sink in my daily driver. Whilst it would occasionally be nice to pop a kettle out of a cupboard, fill it from the tap & plonk on a gas ring I've not missed the unit much & the extra space is more valuable to us

- Whilst not exactly spartan (DSG, big nav, parking bleeps) that's pretty much my spec with minimal additional extras. Whilst it may speed up selling-on, or broaden the pool of potential buyers, I don't believe you ever get a better resale price from extras & should only ever worry about what you want / need during your own tenure, not the next guy

Last edited:
the big difference is the height of the bed and the multi flex . if your fitting a slide pod in the boot for example...you need the 3 seater to give you the height

My wife has done that several times over the past seven weeks - moved from the front passenger seat to the rear middle. It takes some reorganisation of the dogs, but it is a useful flexibility of having a 3 seat bench and two young children.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

We do this all the time.
Often wondered how people manage in a normal saloon/hatchback car. It would be really annoying pulling over all the time.

We do this all the time.
Often wondered how people manage in a normal saloon/hatchback car. It would be really annoying pulling over all the time.
You just have to drive with crying kids in the back! But it does make long journeys harder

Two pictures I'd saved from an ad here that I'd forgotten about - these show the box and the lower bench height of the two-seater variant very well.

I am going to get mine covered, bit less grey!

Beach - covered bench 01.jpg

Beach - covered bench 02.jpg

Mine is a three seater - but whether you go for the two or the three you can still pile in a load of prom bound girls in the backScreen Shot 2017-07-28 at 12.36.32.png - my record is 9 but dont tell the rossers

Also - the lower multiflex height of the two seat unit - does restrict the options for fridge etc to slide underneath. My Waeco CF25 goes under the board beautifully.

Back