Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 more sleeps until the Beach life begins!

How did the test run go?
Really well. The topper was a bugger to put on by myself but I managed it - would rather not do that alone again! However, it really did make a huge difference to the level of darkness in the roof, which was my main incentive in buying it.

The lower bed was also tougher to put up with 7 seats than I'd expected. Again, experience now tells me that there is one single spot on the rails where it works perfectly.

The comfort mattress does exactly what it says on the tin! Really nice but I'm not sure quite how to store it when it's not in use without unzipping and dismantling it every time, especially as I like the multi board folded down to allow as much cabin space as possible when in 'car mode', so there's not much space left behind the bench seat.

Both beds were really comfortable though. Everyone slept soundly and were really impressed. I have to admit that I did underestimate the moisture and forgot to vent the van overnight (the topper blocks the top vents). As a result, condensation was everywhere in the morning but opening the tail gate and side door for a little while in the morning soon cleared it up.

Next time, the kids can go upstairs and the wife and I can have the big, spongy bed. It's going to be great fun, once the weather improves.

Last edited:
Really well. The topper was a bugger to put on by myself but I managed it - would rather not do that alone again! However, it really did make a huge difference to the level of darkness in the roof, which was my main incentive in buying it.

The lower bed was also tougher to put up with 7 seats than I'd expected. Again, experience now tells me that there is one single spot on the rails where it works perfectly. Not sure quite how to store the comfort mattress when it's not in use without unzipping and dismantling it every time. I've yet to figure this out.

Both beds were really comfortable though. Everyone slept soundly and were really impressed. I have to admit that I did underestimate the moisture and forgot to vent the van overnight. As a result, condensation was everywhere in the morning but opening the tail gate and side door for a little while in the morning soon cleared it up.

Next time, the kids can go upstairs and the wife and I can have the big, spongy bed.
Nice one, first one under the belt! It is a steep learning curve to get a good system of setting up with the minimum of fuss. We had a few test runs on Scarborough sea front at our daughters nap time before the first weekend away in York. People must have wondered what we were up to bedding down at 13.00 outside the amusement arcades!
We thought about the topper but we gave it a go without one first and found it fine but definitely not ruled one out completely.
We opted for a self inflating vango double mattress downstairs which rolls up (with a bit of a wrestle) quite tidy, maybe not as comfy though.
Yes they do get a bit of moisture in but as you say easy to get rid of.
Well here's to the first of many!:thumb

As a result, condensation was everywhere in the morning but opening the tail gate and side door for a little while in the morning soon cleared it up.
You could drop the front windows a little for ventilation as you are using an external screen.

The lower bed was also tougher to put up with 7 seats than I'd expected. Again, experience now tells me that there is one single spot on the rails where it works perfectly.

The comfort mattress does exactly what it says on the tin! Really nice but I'm not sure quite how to store it when it's not in use without unzipping and dismantling it every time, especially as I like the multi board folded down to allow as much cabin space as possible when in 'car mode', so there's not much space left behind the bench seat.

Both beds were really comfortable though. Everyone slept soundly and were really impressed. I have to admit that I did underestimate the moisture and forgot to vent the van overnight (the topper blocks the top vents). As a result, condensation was everywhere in the morning but opening the tail gate and side door for a little while in the morning soon cleared it up.

Next time, the kids can go upstairs and the wife and I can have the big, spongy bed. It's going to be great fun, once the weather improves.

We had our first overnight stay out on Sunday and I took the 2 spare seats out for the first time. Made so much difference to the internal space as I found that trying to put the rear bed out was nearly impossible with them in.

Out of interest, did you sleep with any Windows slightly open? We slept with the sliding window ajar but without a heater, it did get a bit chilly!

It's arrived! Love it, love it, love it!!

SO much to play with and understand but can't wait to learn as I play!

View attachment 13575

View attachment 13576

View attachment 13577

View attachment 13578

View attachment 13580

Do you have Climatic in the rear...???
Its one option i wish i had on my Cali. We only have aircon up front, but since the arrival of our little one its something we wish we had now.
If Volkswagen did the Beach with 4motion, i would consider an up-grading to the T6.

Enjoy, van looks great and the best colour ;)

Do you have Climatic in the rear...???
Its one option i wish i had on my Cali. We only have aircon up front, but since the arrival of our little one its something we wish we had now.
If Volkswagen did the Beach with 4motion, i would consider an up-grading to the T6.

Enjoy, van looks great and the best colour ;)
I do. I made a promise to the kids that our next car would give them independent temperature controls in the back. Plus, I wanted the comfort dash so I had no choice, anyway, as the upgrade includes climatronic.

I would have gone with the 4motion too but, so far, the 2wd has been just fine in all the situations I've been in. Early days but I suspect I won't miss 4wd for 99% of the time (previous vehicle was a Quattro A6).

I do. I made a promise to the kids that our next car would give them independent temperature controls in the back. Plus, I wanted the comfort dash so I had no choice, anyway, as the upgrade includes climatronic.

I would have gone with the 4motion too but, so far, the 2wd has been just fine in all the situations I've been in. Early days but I suspect I won't miss 4wd for 99% of the time (previous vehicle was a Quattro A6).

Good choice I would want the comfort dash also. Nice it gets the climate within that package, sounds like its worth ticking that box.
Seems bizarre they don't offer the Beach with 4 motion as its aimed at a younger more active audience. My only thought is perhaps the SE is a lot heavier and could get bogged down in a wet field etc

Good choice I would want the comfort dash also. Nice it gets the climate within that package, sounds like its worth ticking that box.
Seems bizarre they don't offer the Beach with 4 motion as its aimed at a younger more active audience. My only thought is perhaps the SE is a lot heavier and could get bogged down in a wet field etc
I'd like to think that's why but I actually suspect that they're just trying to draw on points of difference between the two models. I agree that the Beach market COULD (I'm not generalising!) be more interested in the increased power and versatility that a 204PS 4motion could potentially offer though. Maybe they'll add it over the lifetime of the T6.

Back