Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2.0 TSI BMT Ocean 204 DSG

J

Jamie Donohoe

Hi

I am new to the California Club. My wife and I bought a California Ocean in December 2017. We had a Bilbo LWB Celex diesel engine prior to that. Absolutely delighted with the California. In my opinion, way better than the Bilbo, although Bilbo do an excellent job in converting their vans, it cannot compare to the California. We decided to get a petrol engine this time due to the adverse publicity that diesel engines attract at the moment and the potential impact on second-hand sales. I wondered if anyone else would care to comment on the mileage that they get with their vehicles? Currently, the average is sitting at 26 miles to the gallon for our California, and that is me driving as economically as I can.

Hi

I am new to the California Club. My wife and I bought a California Ocean in December 2017. We had a Bilbo LWB Celex diesel engine prior to that. Absolutely delighted with the California. In my opinion, way better than the Bilbo, although Bilbo do an excellent job in converting their vans, it cannot compare to the California. We decided to get a petrol engine this time due to the adverse publicity that diesel engines attract at the moment and the potential impact on second-hand sales. I wondered if anyone else would care to comment on the mileage that they get with their vehicles? Currently, the average is sitting at 26 miles to the gallon for our California, and that is me driving as economically as I can.
Mid 20's is par for the course, in the real world, I'm afraid. Some worse rarely better. Empty vans may do better but the California is already partly loaded.

Hi

Last few refills (150 DSG) - much driving fully loaded plus four bikes, mountains, snow and unmade roads. Real world brim to brim measurements including use of the diesel heater.
109363506325f6a90163a9f8760fe25b.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
Hi

Just enjoy and get the most out of your new Ocean. Don't compare with the diesel consumption, just enjoy.

Thanks for the replies. I will enjoy using the Cali Digger. Just wanted to get a feel for what fuel consumption others are experiencing. I was fully aware of the fact that I would see a big difference in the relative costs between diesel and petrol. I would make the same decision again.

Hi - assuming you have the 204 DSG petrol model then 26 is quite good and you must be driving economically and doing fairly long trips. In town or just pottering around we saw 22 or 23 most frequently and then up to about 27 to 28 on a very long run sat at 67 on cruise (by the dials, not GPS).

Hope that helps.

Hi

I will be quite satisfied if I get that when mine arrives. All my calculations are based on 24 mpg after reading this and other forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last few refills (150 DSG) - much driving fully loaded plus four bikes, mountains, snow and unmade roads. Real world brim to brim measurements including use of the diesel heater.

The hint is in the title. TSI not a TDI, so I’m afraid your figures are meaningless.

The hint is in the title. TSI not a TDI, so I’m afraid your figures are meaningless.

204 TSI ~26 MPG
150 TDI ~35 MPG

Fuel cost of 204 TSI ~ 35% higher than 150 TDI.

It may not be of direct relevance to the question asked by the OP, but may be of use to someone.

Last edited:
No they are not. It gives a comparison between TSI and what can be achieved with a TDI.

We ALL know Diesel gives better economy than petrol. The OP has a petrol vehicle and was asking about fuel consumption for the petrol TSI vehicles so why muddy the waters with a set of diesel consumption figures, good though they may be, as the OP has already disregarded diesel in favour of petrol.

Thanks Amarillo. Useful comparison. Had wondered how my 180 compared to petrol and 150TDI. Answer: it’s somewhere in between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does it have a petrol powered cabin heater then?

Yes they do, works just the same as the diesel one. The only difference is that there isn't an engine coolant heater for cold weather (so no webasto, just the eberspatcher).
I’ve been waiting to hear that answer. Thank you.

Hi

Enjoy your new camper!

We ALL know Diesel gives better economy than petrol. The OP has a petrol vehicle and was asking about fuel consumption for the petrol TSI vehicles so why muddy the waters with a set of diesel consumption figures, good though they may be, as the OP has already disregarded diesel in favour of petrol.

Well I found that useful.
Thanks!
Farl

I've had the Ocean 204 DSG TSI since February. MPG is just one factor to consider, and as mentioned, we all know you get far more from a TDI, but there are other contextual factors that make a TSI a decent option.

Living in London and as an only vehicle a TSI is a better option for short journeys, sitting in traffic etc. It won't do many more than 7k miles a year so higher fuel costs are not really that great (and bear in mind petrol is of course cheaper than diesel anyway making a basic MPG comparison a bit meaningless). And currently they are consulting about the end of my road being a (older) diesel free zone in a few years which doesn't make diesel very future-proof in the eyes of the general public at the moment. Even if public perceptions don't/won't match eventual reality, their perceptions will dictate to some degree what the re-sale cost might end up at.

So yes, TSI MPG is lower (I get 30.5 cruising at 70mph; not much more than 20 about town), but TSI has other advantages (such as petrol being a very nice and immediately responsive drive).

As for the heater, I believe it's electric? It uses the leisure battery up at least!

I've had the Ocean 204 DSG TSI since February. MPG is just one factor to consider, and as mentioned, we all know you get far more from a TDI, but there are other contextual factors that make a TSI a decent option.

Living in London and as an only vehicle a TSI is a better option for short journeys, sitting in traffic etc. It won't do many more than 7k miles a year so higher fuel costs are not really that great (and bear in mind petrol is of course cheaper than diesel anyway making a basic MPG comparison a bit meaningless). And currently they are consulting about the end of my road being a (older) diesel free zone in a few years which doesn't make diesel very future-proof in the eyes of the general public at the moment. Even if public perceptions don't/won't match eventual reality, their perceptions will dictate to some degree what the re-sale cost might end up at.

So yes, TSI MPG is lower (I get 30.5 cruising at 70mph; not much more than 20 about town), but TSI has other advantages (such as petrol being a very nice and immediately responsive drive).

As for the heater, I believe it's electric? It uses the leisure battery up at least!
Totally agree.
I think if you check the Driver side B pillar, with the door open, there should be a label with the Details of the Heater fitted.
I believe you will find it is a Petrol Heater, a Webasto or Eberspacher. This uses power from the Leisure Batteries to run the fans etc.

In fact, would you be kind enough to post the datails on that label or even a photograph, if possible?

And currently they are consulting about the end of my road being a (older) diesel free zone in a few years which doesn't make diesel very future-proof in the eyes of the general public.

[...]

Where do you live. We live near the Greenwich/Lewisham/Bromley border tripoint, just outside the South Circular Road. We are considering an electric car for short London journeys.

You are unlikely to have an electric parking heater - though, if it is petrol, the pump will be electric.

Where do you live. We live near the Greenwich/Lewisham/Bromley border tripoint, just outside the South Circular Road. We are considering an electric car for short London journeys.

You are unlikely to have an electric parking heater - though, if it is petrol, the pump will be electric.

Waltham Forest, so the North Circular is the cut off for the 'old diesel car' zone. Local opposition is very vocal though not very well-informed.

The parking heater info as requested by WelshGas (thank you both for being a mine of information here) is shown here, I hope. Apologies for the focus, but it is just about readable. I would appreciate a translation in some way towards how much time it might take for a leisure battery to run down at this output. If it goes on for 10 minutes the battery loses 10%, so I hope it might last more than an hour!

20180408_183608.jpg

Waltham Forest, so the North Circular is the cut off for the 'old diesel car' zone. Local opposition is very vocal though not very well-informed.

The parking heater info as requested by WelshGas (thank you both for being a mine of information here) is shown here, I hope. Apologies for the focus, but it is just about readable. I would appreciate a translation in some way towards how much time it might take for a leisure battery to run down at this output. If it goes on for 10 minutes the battery loses 10%, so I hope it might last more than an hour!

View attachment 31916
I have a TDI, but assuming the petrol heater and the diesel heater use similar amount of battery power, I can run my heater and fridge for about three days and nights before I need to drive somewhere to charge them. This suits me as I’m not good at staying anywhere for more than a couple of days. I never stay in camp sites though. If you do, plugging in will keep your battery topped up or allow an electric heater.

The Eberspacher in my TDI uses quite a lot of electricity on start up (glow plugs), but much less when running - if yours is similar then 3 days as above should be possible. I usually start the heater when I’m about 10-15 mins before stopping, so it takes less out of the leisure battery.

Incidentally I ran my diesel heater in setting 1-3 continuously for 3 days in Scotland this February (outside temp barely got above freezing). We were toasty but a reckon I used about 5 litres of diesel.

The Eberspacher in my TDI uses quite a lot of electricity on start up (glow plugs), but much less when running - if yours is similar then 3 days as above should be possible. I usually start the heater when I’m about 10-15 mins before stopping, so it takes less out of the leisure battery.

Incidentally I ran my diesel heater in setting 1-3 continuously for 3 days in Scotland this February (outside temp barely got above freezing). We were toasty but a reckon I used about 5 litres of diesel.
Good idea about starting the auxiliary heater before finishing he journey. I’m interested in your fuel consumption. I have never measured mine, it appears to be negligible on the fuel gauge. 5 litres for 3 days, therefore only about £2-3 per day seems really good. In a previous campervan in the USA, I used a small gas heater which could eat 3 x 1lb gas canisters a day so about $15 per day.

View attachment 31916
Thank you.
Maximum Electrical Power is used on Startup and getting to temperature. Most Power efficient use is to Startup 15 mins before Engine Stop and then run continuously just varying the temperature to your needs rather than Stop/Start.
Fuel consumption on Full Blast is about 0.7L/hr, but in normal use between 0.1-0.4L/hr. Really depends on Ambient Temperature, and can be lower than 0.1L/hr.

Back