Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

18 inch tyre wear update

J

jerrythegerman

VIP Member
Hello all,

Just a quick tyre update because when I looked around on the forum's, there was very little to be found. I'm now going onto my 3rd set.

My Cali was fitted with the Sportline kit from new and so ran 235/50/18's 101 XL. Conti's originally that had covered 33k (and been rotated) at the point of replacement.

Shopping around found that at the time, those were over £200 each and couldn't get stock of them. I looked into others and reviews, finally deciding on Falken ZE912's. These were said to be the later, harder wearing compound and I have raced in the Falken challenges before. Some of the early car stuff was, how can i say, interesting but once they sorted it out, some of the 944' turbo's I used had fantastic grip and feel. These admittedly were a different tread/compound but I thought at £97 each, I'd give them a go.

Well 26k later, I'm very pleased on how they have done. Again, even wear and good feel, quiet and no real detriment or improvement in MPG. Great wet weather grip, snow and ice as good as can be expected for the size and pattern, never any scary situations created by lack of grip either. I must say that I dont drive the van like a mad man, but do press on if required (but not that often as that type of driving is for the stage or racetrack).

Just priced up a new set and coming at £120 each now (inc fitting), ordered them and look forward to plenty more miles to come. Nearly 1/2 the price, not 1/2 the milage and I'd say at least equal perfomance if not slightly better. Win Win me thinks. Don't write of these Jap brands nowadays. Just look at Yokohoma and Toyo, some serioulsy good performance tyres coming out from them now.

i run on 19 inch i used top range stuff Pirelli at £200 each .i now run accelerators from bath wick tyres .cost around £80 each i am on coilovers so only get around 10k out of them . :eek: on a good year .

So does the cost compaired to the wear add up?

Are they only half as long lasting as the £200 expensive stuff or not much in it?

Not sure I could live with 10k a set, It's my daily!! My wife can eat through a set on her golf GTD in 12k and it hurts me to buy them too often (she's a loon driver in my opinon but thankfully won't read this!!)

I bought some Brabium (or something like that) for my student daughters 1.4 8v Polo. I was told they re made by Continental!! (£63 each) but I would want to a lap of the ring in them (saying that, It could be fun). :lol: