Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

16 or 17 inch wheels on a coast?

The smaller tyres run at higher pressures & that makes for a more uncomfortable ride.
In my experience it is not the alloy size that effects the tyre pressures but the tyre size. So 205s run at higher pressures than 215 and these at higher pressure than 235 etc. Again in my experience 16" alloys are more comfortable than say 18" because there is more rubber between the vehicle and the road.

The smaller tyres run at higher pressures & that makes for a more uncomfortable ride.
When I drove a T6 with 205's on I was surprised how little transmission of the road surface there was. Admittedly an empty van.
Think only a Hovercraft would smooth out my local roads.

Thank you all for your help. 16" wheels it is
I appreciate everyone is different however, as a coast owner myself the 16's were the first thing to go off the van, to me they made it look like a shopping trolly and the handling was well vague at best. That being said I have since had it lowered and I am considering sticking some chunky all terrain tyres on the original 16's to use as a winter set up. It is a decision that can easily be made once you have received the van as have others have mentioned 17's come up for sale here often. You will also see plenty of suitable 18's come up on the T6 forum.

Us and the previous owners of our 2008 SE tolerated the factory 16" wheels for 12 or so years, they were fine.

The rubber was wearing down and I bought a set of 17" davenports with almost-new all season tyres on , for about the same cost as I would have paid for just the tyres - and to be honest I can't tell the difference in driving. They do look a hell of a lot better but I did it mainly to replace the rubber - I have no interest in further pimping - lowering, bigger wheels etc.

Each to their own.

That’s not correct. An ocean comes with bigger brakes with a 150 engine compared to the standard Coast 150 engine.
is an ocean heavier ? double glaze window and more electric motors and wiring and extra lights and shower . maybe more.

is an ocean heavier ? double glaze window and more electric motors and wiring and extra lights and shower . maybe more.
You can use the configurator to check what the different models weigh in at. It even updates as you add your options. So you can see what payload you have available too. Even though the more paranoid of us still end up on the local weighbridge :oops:

You can use the configurator to check what the different models weigh in at. It even updates as you add your options. So you can see what payload you have available too. Even though the more paranoid of us still end up on the local weighbridge :oops:
how heavy is a fully loaded cali with 4 adults and luggage and water and gas and food and bikes. i hate to think what it is.

how heavy is a fully loaded cali with 4 adults and luggage and water and gas and food and bikes. i hate to think what it is.
Hopefully just under your gross weight!

Hopefully just under your gross weight!
maybe we could throw all the crap out our cali s . put some big wheels big brakes 300 hp lowered to the tarmac and then race them on the track lol. if we get fed up of going round and round we can pull over and have a brew or a kip.

The overall rolling diameter will be the same, as the tyre profile is different to make up that adjustment. 150bhp is the only engine option on the current UK Coast model.
I respect your comment but it makes no sense to me. It makes the wheel dia. irrelevant if the tyres are different dia.? confusing.

I respect your comment but it makes no sense to me. It makes the wheel dia. irrelevant if the tyres are different dia.? confusing.
unless its just the cosmetic looks - please tell me it isnt but I expect it is!

unless its just the cosmetic looks - please tell me it isnt but I expect it is!
On a high performance car, the lower sidewall that accompanies a larger rim (same overall circumference and diameter) flexes less, and therefor responds more precisely to input from the steering wheel although, other variables being equal, the lower sidewall has less ability to absorb shocks.

On a 3 ton van it's mostly about looks.

On a high performance car, the lower sidewall that accompanies a larger rim (same overall circumference and diameter) flexes less, and therefor responds more precisely to input from the steering wheel although, other variables being equal, the lower sidewall has less ability to absorb shocks.

On a 3 ton van it's mostly about looks.
A look at the F1 issues with tyres now that they have lowered the profile shows what level of development is needed to get the same performance characteristics as the previous higher profile gave.

7 inch breaks option. (price 166€) Ik heb een Beach gehuurd voor 3 weken bij een rit door de Pyreneeën. Bij het afdalen had ik te weinig rem op de (DSG7) motor en moest ik de remmen fors aanspreken. Daarom opteer ik voor deze extra wat de remschijven betreft. Volgens de garage zijn ze duurder in onderhoud. Zowel de schijven als de remblokken, maar misschien gaan ze ook langer mee, wat dan compenseert.

Hi all, We have a late 2014 california 4motion and from what I can fathom 16 inch standard alloys? with 235/55/r17 tyres but looking at purchasing some new style16 inch alloys who the supplier (fyi renci111 on ebay 420.00 for 4 gun metal) says that these will fit the current tyres we have - would this be accurate without compromise to our current set up as I do not want to change anything else, braking, susp etc...just the alloy appearance and changing tyres over obv?
Thks in adv, yours sceptical lol x

If you've got 17" tyres you must have 17" wheels.

I'm not 100% sure but believe all 180 engined vehicles came with 17" as standard so your tyres will not fit those wheels.

Post a picture of your current wheels & we can confirm.

They are also very expensive - you wouldn't pay much more than that for a set of delivery mileage 17" wheels with tyres.

Hi all, We have a late 2014 california 4motion and from what I can fathom 16 inch standard alloys? with 235/55/r17 tyres but looking at purchasing some new style16 inch alloys who the supplier (fyi renci111 on ebay 420.00 for 4 gun metal) says that these will fit the current tyres we have - would this be accurate without compromise to our current set up as I do not want to change anything else, braking, susp etc...just the alloy appearance and changing tyres over obv?
Photos or it didn't happen.

4motions cannot be equipped with 16", depending on the size of the front brakes

photos of the new or current?
I found the wheels he was referring to on Ebay there's only one set of transporter gunmetal wheels from that seller & they are 16"

4motions cannot be equipped with 16", depending on the size of the front brakes
so should I be looking at 17'' for 17 replacement? Its difficult to determine exactly what size weve got as there's no defining line as such on the alloys

I found the wheels he was referring to on Ebay there's only one set of transporter gunmetal wheels from that seller & they are 16"
yes theyre the ones I was looking at...? I think mine might be 17 inchs going off the tyre size but difficult to measure as there is no clear guide to mesasure the alloys from

so should I be looking at 17'' for 17 replacement? Its difficult to determine exactly what size weve got as there's no defining line as such on the alloys
The text on the tyres will tell you. 17" tyres only fit 17" rims if your tyres are 235/55/r17 the R17 bit means they are 17"

On ebay if you search for "Genuine OEM Volkswagen Transporter 17" Devonport Alloy Wheels + Tyres T5 T6 T6.1" thats a typical brand new set of wheels with new tyres taken off a van when someone has gone for bigger wheels, you should be able to find a set for less than that....

Or search for. "Vw Transporter Caravelle Alloy Wheels 17” Aracaju" - those are standard on a T6.1 ocean.

Could you confirm what is written on your current tires? Is it 235/55/R17?