Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

16 or 17 inch wheels on a coast?

S

Skippermk2-2022

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Looking at placing an order for a Coast. What are the differences between the 16" and 17" wheels? As in ride, fuel consumption etc

Last edited:
Fuel consumption will be, inter alia, more or less proportional to the width of the tyres. Ride quality is mostly subjective. Generally 17" would be considered 'better' due to tyres moving around less under lateral loads. 16" might be better through potholes and on kerbs. The rolling diameter of both setups is very similar.

17" brakes should perform better under repeated high loads because they have more active material and can get rid of more heat.

Looking at placing an order for a Coast. What are the differences between the 16" and 17" wheels? As in ride, fuel consumption etc
I think it's more important to take into account that 17" wheels make room for larger brake disks, so find out if larger brakes are part of the 17" package. My Beach came from the factory with 16" wheels, with higher sidewalls than 17s, and therefor tend to be better at absorbing bumps from potholes and dirt roads, and have decided that there would be no point in changing to 17s unless I changed the brakes to the larger setup. If I were ordering from new I would probably order the larger brakes, mainly because the VW diesel injection, like most manufactures, is set up to severely limit engine braking when you take your foot off the pedal. The instant consumption gauge on the multifunction screen says consumption is zero when your foot is off the pedal, but just enough is injected to limit engine braking, so on long downhill slopes I have to use the brakes far more than used to be normal with a manual gearbox. At very low speeds in first and second gears this is disabled and engine braking is strong, so it does work on steep dirt roads in the mountains. I assume all this has something to do with emissions, but don't know the details.

The new T6 I had for a month as a substitute vehicle while the roof rot work was being done on mine was set up the same way to limit engine braking, so I assume it's general practice at VW.

Last edited:
I've just gone from 16s to 18s (both VW wheels) and in all honesty I cannot tell any difference in ride. The van does aesthetically look 100% better though.

MPG seems to be unchanged as far as I can tell, done some longer runs recently and the computer has shown anywhere from 37 to about 40mpg - 2015 140 SE.

Fuel consumption will be slightly better on 16” as the tyres, alloys, brake discs weigh less versus 17”. Vans payload will also be slightly more. Risk of kerb damage is less on 16”.

Brakes are bigger on the 17”; brakes on 16” are perfectly adequate.

16” tyres can work out a lot cheaper when you need to change them. You can just buy a whole new set of alloys & tyres with delivery miles on Ebay for £450 (off the person who has just had there Cali delivered but has decided to switch to 17” alloys!) & then sell your old wheels/tyres for £200.

Given that VW charge over £700 for Davenport 17” alloys on a Coast I’d stick with the standard 16” and shop around on the secondhand market. Plenty of wheels for sale in as new condition for less than the VW config option cost.
Given the Coast comes with 16” wheels as standard I assume it has smaller brakes than an Ocean?

As you have changed the question, I’ll give a sensible answer!
The difference between16 and 17 inch is naff all. From Vw they both come with same width tyres so no difference in fuel consumption. The 17 run at lower tyre pressures which compensates for the shorter sidewall so they ride about the same.

I wouldn’t pay Vw extra for 17s there are always loads for sale from ocean owners that are looking to go for 18s they will cost lest than VW charge & you will still have the 16s to sell although they are not worth much.

People talking about brakes are referring to the 17 chassis upgrade which gives bigger brakes and higher payload as well as requiring 17 wheels.

For the benefit of @BeagleMum who makes a point of disliking / disagreeing with almost everything I post , the OPs original question was what is the difference between 16 and 17 inch wheels. That’s it, nothing about mpg / ride etc.

I have a coast on order and have left the wheels as the 16" option. As mentioned above, I like the idea that for £450 I can have a shinny new set of rims and tyres.

My favourite VW wheels are the 16” steels with triangular cutouts so I kept those on my MY21 order.
However it’ll be a MY22 that’s finally delivered, with ugly (IMO) 16” steels with hubcaps. Bah!

I think the steelies with triangle cutouts are 17s.
You’re right, so it’s coming with 16”s instead of 17”s…
Not the end of the world I suppose. I refused to pay for alloys from VW Spain as they’re 2500€ and upwards on the configuration tool compared to a few hundred GBP in the UK.
If I really dont like the 16”s , the 17” steels I like are about 80€ each at a local tyre fitter and ebay must be awash with them

Larger brakes are only on the bigger more powerful engined Cali's. nothing to do with wheel size option.

Larger brakes are only on the bigger more powerful engined Cali's. nothing to do with wheel size option.
That’s not correct. An ocean comes with bigger brakes with a 150 engine compared to the standard Coast 150 engine.

That’s not correct. An ocean comes with bigger brakes with a 150 engine compared to the standard Coast
Stand corrected on that bundled in feature on Ocean 6.1

remains that brake upgrade isn't related to a Coast (subject of this thread) wheel upgrade to other than standard 16".

if I were to buy again I would buy the 199hp because the power of the 150 isnt really enough for me, on that basis I reckon smaller daimeter wheels are better given the gearing.

if I were to buy again I would buy the 199hp because the power of the 150 isnt really enough for me, on that basis I reckon smaller daimeter wheels are better given the gearing.
The overall rolling diameter will be the same, as the tyre profile is different to make up that adjustment. 150bhp is the only engine option on the current UK Coast model.

Last edited:
Always stick to/go for the smallest wheels size (IMHO), so 16", unless you are planning to use your Cali as an ambulance, or looking for "a nice look" > Smaller wheels means (relatively) higher tyres > "better bumps absorption" and more MPGs. Bigger wheels means lower tyres > better road holding properties and it "looks nice"... It's up to you...

Just thought that I'd pop this in here rather than a dedicated thread.

Just seen a Facebook item from Acura Campers saying that they have 15 sets of 16" Alloy wheels to clear at £100 a set. Some off new vans. First come basis.

Just thought that I'd pop this in here rather than a dedicated thread.

Just seen a Facebook item from Acura Campers saying that they have 15 sets of 16" Alloy wheels to clear at £100 a set. Some off new vans. First come basis.

Bargain!

We switched the 16 inch alloys on our Beach after 10k for a set of brand new Davenports with 235/55/17 tyres purchased on here. With the standard suspension the ride feels much improved to me. I would recommend the upgrade and they look a lot nicer than the 16 inch alloys.

Smaller wheels means (relatively) higher tyres > "better bumps absorption"
The smaller tyres run at higher pressures & that makes for a more uncomfortable ride.