Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12 Month Insurance for European Road Trip

L

Leigh and Lucy

We have handed in our resignations and are taking-off in our Cali Beach for 2013. Plan is to leave 3 January and head down to Morocco, until Southern Europe starts to warm-up, then Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey before making our way back. Trouble is insuring the car whilst away for that length of time, I keep encountering a maximum 90 day rule. Any suggestions much appreciated?

This never seems to be easy... but damn good luck it sounds like a great adventure.

I got local insurance in Morocco (for a motorcycle) as I couldn't get a policy to cover me. It was only third party but it was ridiculously cheap! That may be worth considering if you can find something with better cover?

Where does the 90 day rule apply - only once you are outside of Europe? If so would it tick their boxes if you simply cross the frontoer back into Ceuta which is a Spanish Enclave and then head back south again for another 90 days?

It may be worth having a look here at the full timing options

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/compare_insurance.html

Comfort offer 365 days European cover plus you will need a green card off them for Turkey, Morroco, Tunisia.......

I was with them when away for my 15 month trip through 20 countries

Yup, our Comfort insurance places no limit on european cover that I can find in the schedule.

You need to have a UK address though.....

If your a full time ' live away ' then comfort would re quote you.....

Thanks. Comfort will not insure us as we have on street parking at home. However, I have discovered a garage for rent up the road so I may be able to deal with it that way.

Rented the garage, only to be told that Comfort do not insure the California Beach!!!!!!

Any other suggestions?

LV=, Nationwide and MoreThan, who cover for 180 days max European travel, will not insure the Beach because its a camper van!!!

Adrian Flux could only find cover with HiWay but max European cover of 90 days.

It is ridiculous that the Beach cannot be categorised as one or the other by these insurers! Very frustrated.

Try the Caravanning & Camping Club insurance, they accept NCB & were a comparable price to Comfort for my renewal.
Apparently they will quote non members, but may be cheaper if you are a member.

C&CC wouldn't quote me for travel to and from work, only leisure / domestic. Comfort were offering full business use cover (so you could go to inner London for work but you can't park on the road overnight outside home in a quite residential village!

From one extreme to the other

Try National Farmers Union (NFU) .. My beach is insured through them, think its unlimited European cover too.

Do you have to have farm animals in the van, or can the go on the roof rack or bike rack :)

Try National Farmers Union (NFU) .. My beach is insured through them, think its unlimited European cover too.

I had a quote from NFU, but when I checked to see if kitchen would be covered & replaced with VW parts in the event of it getting damaged they said that they insure horse boxes that have kitchens in them so it should be OK. I said no thanks & ran away very quickly.
Trouble is the VW kitchen is very expensive, fridge I believe is £1200 !! Not the same as the stuff in a horse box !!

C&CC wouldn't quote me for travel to and from work, only leisure / domestic. Comfort were offering full business use cover (so you could go to inner London for work but you can't park on the road overnight outside home in a quite residential village!

Strange as I am insured with them & covered for social domestic & pleasure with commuting.

Hi,

Try www.ecarinsurance.co.uk.

They do 365 day a year European Car Insurance.

Not sure if a Cali is one of the vehicles they will insure but its easy to make an application online.Its takes about 5 mins and you get an instant answer / quote.
I used to use them for my people carroer when it was left in France for several months at a time but have never tried to claim off them so not sure how good they are at paying out.

Am with SAGA ( for over 50's !!! )now .They also do 365 day European Insurance with European breakdown cover.They do cover the California but you have to state its Motorhome otherwise they say they cant insure a Transporter.

Bit more expensive but good reputation for service and claims.

Good luck

We just had a quote from Comfort which was about £990.00 for 12 months touring. :D

Strange.....do you have a UK address, if so then use their normal policy which includes 365 days European cover....

We live in the Isle of Man and vehicle is parked on the road, however this is about to change so hooefully the policy price will be lower!!! Plan to tour Europe in 2013 and hence not return to the island. :crazy

I traveled for 15 months on comforts standard policy, I had a UK address and so was ok.....I was not classed as a ' live away '........

Back