Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1 week North Island - New Zealand

Debra Lumsden

Debra Lumsden

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
So I have had my first week away in the Cali. It’s been a bit of a voyage of discovery for me and Clint the Cali. We started in Auckland and drove all the way to the top of the North Island to camp at a DOC site there, then spent the next 6 nights driving down the East Coast stopping at various beach locations to kayak and chill out. It costs about $13 to 25 per night to stop at the camp sites which is about £7 to £13.69C5827C-E7D7-4E4C-96D8-B5E1A1165613.jpeg3E3C44E6-1610-4CE0-9F50-9A9EAF0B1885.jpeg4176D754-B66F-4531-A41E-DB37B8ADA65B.jpeg5AF6071A-8988-4901-9B7F-E792586BF8FA.jpegDB5E5A19-C4DB-4BDC-8DB6-E11058F98DC1.jpeg

1537B032-9945-4A02-AE75-D9953EAFA871.jpeg

C557D2BA-666E-4421-B100-07F2AB1AC639.jpeg

5EF4B626-D06F-475A-B741-A6FFD7E24031.jpeg

5A0CC3D5-8D01-4D01-B062-40DE537E23D4.jpeg

508DA2FB-7059-4194-9637-D9AA5B68289A.jpeg

So I have had my first week away in the Cali. It’s been a bit of a voyage of discovery for me and Clint the Cali. We started in Auckland and drove all the way to the top of the North Island to camp at a DOC site there, then spent the next 6 nights driving down the East Coast stopping at various beach locations to kayak and chill out. It costs about $13 to 25 per night to stop at the camp sites which is about £7 to £13.View attachment 43716View attachment 43714View attachment 43720View attachment 43723View attachment 43724

View attachment 43709

View attachment 43713

View attachment 43717

View attachment 43718

View attachment 43719
Great looking van (and number plate)

Nice photos, takes me back to when I was there nearly 20 years ago. Bay of Islands, 90 mile beach, cape Reinga except it was a very rainy October.

We are planning a 5/6 trip to New Zealand Feb 2020. And planning to hire a campervan, any help would be appreciated.
Campervan we would like to hire would be approx same size as my California
I haven’t seen any VW Calis here to hire but there are a few smaller campervans rented out. They must be self contained too which means they have to have a loo that can host you for 3 days assuming 3 litres per person and enough clean water and grey waste for the same amount of time and estimated I think at 10 litres per day per person if I recall correctly.

There is a NZ Cali Facebook page and one of the guys is looking to sell or rent his out he is also on here so I will send him a text if you want?

The top of the North island is beautiful and has loads of awesome beaches and is a great route to drive. Also try and do the Coromandels, Bay of Plenty and Hawkes Bay. There are lots of beachside campsites up and down the East coast. Taupo is also a awesome place spend some time and there are some beautiful walks in New Plymouth/Taranaki, Wanganui etc. your route will depend on if you fly into Wellington or Auckland. The NZ Motor Caravan club is a great resource for campsite and they give good overnight rates too. There are some apps also for NZ (will try and look them out for you). Biking, hiking and Kayaking are all great pursuits here in NZ. I will ask on the NZ Cali page if we have any recommendations for places to stay etc from the group.

We are planning a 5/6 trip to New Zealand Feb 2020. And planning to hire a campervan, any help would be appreciated.
Campervan we would like to hire would be approx same size as my California
CE0F28B9-DE6E-4097-ACA7-3F81C42C916E.jpeg

If its any help our cousins went a couple of years ago and initially looked at hiring a campervan but ended up with a car and a combination of b&bs, glamping and a few hotels. They said it worked out cheaper than hiring a van and that the hire vans they saw were pretty awful. They did miss the freedom of just going and stopping anywhere though.

Hi Can you help me. When my 2010 Cali gets here from UK in about 4 weeks I will need to get a Gas bottle that fits (size wise) in the compartment (in the back on passenger side) and also get the correct attachments. Any ideas what I need- photos etc or/and where I can get them please. Thanks Jennie

If its any help our cousins went a couple of years ago and initially looked at hiring a campervan but ended up with a car and a combination of b&bs, glamping and a few hotels. They said it worked out cheaper than hiring a van and that the hire vans they saw were pretty awful. They did miss the freedom of just going and stopping anywhere though.
There are many reasonably priced motels and cabins on most routes to complement car only travel except around the Christmas holidays when everywhere is booked.

Hi Can you help me. When my 2010 Cali gets here from UK in about 4 weeks I will need to get a Gas bottle that fits (size wise) in the compartment (in the back on passenger side) and also get the correct attachments. Any ideas what I need- photos etc or/and where I can get them please. Thanks Jennie
Hi Jennie

I will look at mine for you over the weekend. I have asked the FB NZ Cali forum if they have replaced theirs yet as I haven’t.

On the insurance, the same group have used AA, Covi and I have mine with Vero.

Debs

Yep some of the vans for hire can be pretty rough as they get a fair amount of hammer each year. A friend here got one from Jucy and said it had quite a few problems throughout the rental.

Hi one of the ladies on the Cali NZ forum said it’s a “ bit of an expensive process. New bottle from Burnsco with top l shaped adapter. The bottles i think are the 2kg ones. How ever with the adapter fitted the screw lid does not fit. The is a chap in pakuranga Marine Gas who will alter the lid to fit. He does all the ones for Giltrap. Also found it difficult to then get bottle filled but found place in Onehunga. Good luck.”