Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1 Bottle or 2

Defender90

Defender90

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi ,do you guys carry 2 907 gas bottles when travelling? its just I can’t see how you would manage the gas effectively without the use of 2 bottle.

Hi ,do you guys carry 2 907 gas bottles when travelling? its just I can’t see how you would manage the gas effectively without the use of 2 bottle.
I have a 907 and 904, same fittings just 1/2 the height as a spare and for use outside. As said, a 907 lasts for a good while.

Two.

- then you do not have to worry about running out of gas
- when you cook outside, you can easily access and use the spare cylinder .
- get a small handheld weighing scale, so that you can keep a tab on the amount of gas in the spare bottle.

Sure, a bottle runs for long. On our recent trip to Portugal, the cylinder was about 6 months old. Ran out of gas on the last day. Swapped the cylinder and just continued without batting an eyelid. back home, the cylinder is now replaced and all good.

Forget everything else, but it is the diesel heater and the gas that make the Cali what it is. To rest in the warmth provided by the heater and and have a brew. :thumb

Some Transporter converters provide an external BBQ point, so you can use the vans gas to power your external cooking. Is that possible with a Cali, to save carrying 2 bottles? Or would it be easy enough to extract the Calis own bottle and use that, to save carrying 2 bottles?
(My Cali is due in March, so sorry for if that’s a daft question)

2 - 907 and half size 904 which I can also use on my barbecue.
The point to remember is whilst the 907 will last a long time it will ALLWAYS run out whilst you are using it , guaranteed
So whilst set up on site, cooking or making a brew, most inconvenient time and possibly miles to drive for replacement
So as I have same gas for barbecue problem solved,
Statistically chance of both running out at same time is negligible, so spare for both cooker and barbacue
Well worth the cost and smaller 904 easy to store

Two.

- then you do not have to worry about running out of gas
- when you cook outside, you can easily access and use the spare cylinder .
- get a small handheld weighing scale, so that you can keep a tab on the amount of gas in the spare bottle.

Sure, a bottle runs for long. On our recent trip to Portugal, the cylinder was about 6 months old. Ran out of gas on the last day. Swapped the cylinder and just continued without batting an eyelid. back home, the cylinder is now replaced and all good.

Forget everything else, but it is the diesel heater and the gas that make the Cali what it is. To rest in the warmth provided by the heater and and have a brew. :thumb
That makes sense to me ,where do you keep the extra bottle? I also like the idea of the small bottle as the back up

Some Transporter converters provide an external BBQ point, so you can use the vans gas to power your external cooking. Is that possible with a Cali, to save carrying 2 bottles? Or would it be easy enough to extract the Calis own bottle and use that, to save carrying 2 bottles?
The California gas safe is integral to the water tank and the pipework is behind the wardrobe. Possible to modify for a barbecue but a lot of work. Taking the gas bottle out is not that difficult but carrying a 904 or907 is the easiest .

Getting the bottle out of its location is a proper faff whether to use or indeed to check if getting low. Carry the spare especially if you have barbacue

907 and a 901 the small one. Saves me having to check the 907, the 901 is easy to store. For a holiday abroad I use a full 907 as it lasts me easily through

Just one have some spares at home. Always put in a "full" bottle before a long camping trip. 18 days longest trip with daily cooking and lots of kettles no issues about running out of such trips.

That makes sense to me ,where do you keep the extra bottle? I also like the idea of the small bottle as the back up
In a storage box behind bench seat. Sealed with the Factory supplied plug. Doesn't need to be in a Gas Safe if not connected to regulator.

I used to carry 2 spare bottles, as I use alot of gas. The external bbq point is possible if you get an aftermarket underslung LPG tank fitted, there is space underneath for the tank as long as it’s not a 4 motion.

In a storage box behind bench seat. Sealed with the Factory supplied plug. Doesn't need to be in a Gas Safe if not connected to regulator.
I Think I have seen someone on YouTube with it stored in the long clothes locker.

Only carry a spare if I know the one in service is getting low, like someone said if a long trip is comming up put in a new one, works for us.

Yeah, I'd never chose to use up so much Cali real estate by taking 2 gas bottles. One lasts really long. Went on a 3 month camping trip, never had to change the bottle. Must say, we also carry a simple gas burner stove and one or two tin gas cans to feed it. That way we can easily cook outside when the weather is good or we want to cook bacon/red meat/smelly stuff.

I have a spare empty in the garage and will only fill and carry it when i know the other is low. As said before they last longer than you would think. My first one lasted over a year with cooking and many cups of coffee.

I carry 2, and use the 2nd one for my gas bbq knowing that I can swap it into the van hob if needed and not need to immediately worry about sourcing a refill.

907 and a 904, smaller one for the Cadac, saves faffing around getting the 907 out of the van all the time.

We use a small camping gas stove as back up and also if we want to cook outside. The ones with the aerosol can style gas cylinders.
Have been surprised how long it lasts and carrying two (one with the stove in the case and one in the rear locker) has so far been more than enough reserve gas. We have also found them easier to get hold of at a push.
Experiment and find what's right for you I suppose.

We use a small camping gas stove as back up and also if we want to cook outside. The ones with the aerosol can style gas cylinders.
Have been surprised how long it lasts and carrying two (one with the stove in the case and one in the rear locker) has so far been more than enough reserve gas. We have also found them easier to get hold of at a push.
Experiment and find what's right for you I suppose.
Went for the same option.

Just ordered 2 x 907 from Chorley bottle gas Ltd £47.50 each delivery included can’t complain at that.I also I have a jetboil but I like to cover all angles lol

thanks for introducing me to cadac looks spot on, more money to spendalways nice to cook outside when possible.