Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

‘Cali’ conversion

Camperfamily

Camperfamily

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just spotted this - a ‘Cali Ocean’ look-a-like with twin side doors, albeit one permanently shut. Unless they got a good deal on interior (usually around £10k on eBay, before even considering the roof, additional heaters and labour costs of all the retrofitting), it can’t have been much cheaper than just buying an Ocean in the first place. That said, best conversion I’ve seen (acknowledging my Cali bias).

Last edited:
It's not a California though is it? They shouldn't be allowed to advertise it as such.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Just spotted this - an Ocean with twin side doors, albeit one permanently shut. Unless they got a good deal on interior (usually around £10k on eBay, before even considering the roof, additional heaters and labour costs of all the retrofitting), it can’t have been much cheaper than just buying an Ocean in the first place. That said, best conversion I’ve seen (acknowledging my Cali bias).

It does look very impressive in the ad but I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole, or something longer.

Reactions: Sad
Do like the cover for the portapotti they are selling with it. But perhaps a bit pricey to buy the van just for the portapotti cover ;-)

So much work involved. It looks like it’s been done well and if the roof, fridge and heater have been integrated with the control panel that I suspect would be really hard to do. It looks like it’s lacking double glazed windows, I wonder if the rear vents have been plumbed in and it must be the only T6 non-4Motion with only two floor rails. If everything works as well as a genuine California it is a good camper for the money. However if anything goes wrong it could be harder to problem solve what the issues are.

T5.1 cali bits not T6, Beach dash and a sliding door you can't use. Bit of a mish mash imo, another 2-3 grand will get you a genuine early T6 Cali.

"Twin sliding doors" so wheres the waste water tank?
Piped straight out?

Thanks for sharing. It’s good to see different approaches.
It is good to see other conversions, if only to remind me why we ended up with a California.

I think the outside looks really cool. Love the yellow weels. Nice color combinations. The graphics, the roof rack, all cool! Very expedition-like, very adventurous. I like the rooftent but couldn't live in the van without being able to stand up.

The inside though, looks like a bad DIY. The dark and red fabric chairs next to the wood pains my eyes. On the inside it all looks like something out of an 'end-of-the-world'-movie. A getaway solution whipped up in haste because the zombies are coming. THE ZOMBIES ARE COMING!!! :)

A good DIY doesn't have the advantages of a Cali but can sometimes be more cosy inside and tailored to your needs then a Cali. But this conversion has neither.

Back