Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

£82,000 for a Cali!

Having had the opportunity previously to have stayed in both 4 & 5 star hotels I can from experience say the Cali falls short on the experience, that said it offers many other benefits, which we are all aware of, hence why we own them. But it’s not a 5* hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would rather be in the wilds in a Cali than some pretentious 5 star place! Each to their own though. Maybe it's just that I'm a bit odd! o_O

I would rather be in the wilds in a Cali than some pretentious 5 star place! Each to their own though. Maybe it's just that I'm a bit odd! o_O

My most memorable hotel experience was a DDT smelling hovel in Mysore with a hole in the corner serving as loo.

I can barely recall the 5 and 4* places.

For memories stay cheap.

I have stayed in everything from one to Five stars and they all have their certain charm. Just because I own a VW camper doesn’t mean I don’t like the finer things also. We like to have at least 1 really nice holiday( In normal times) where somebody else cooks your food and makes your bed. And we also (In normal times) like to stay on French and Spanish campsites and do the cooking and cleaning ourselves. Roll on 2022 when hopefully things become (Normal) again.

That cali isn’t £103k it’s a mistake that vw commercial/autotrader listing happens all the time. Yes they are crazy prices now but not that crazy :thumb
It’s still there on their website. £75k exc vat...£90k inc vat.

Would be amusing for someone with an Ocean to enquire about a cost to change. See if the big premium works both ways!

Actually states on it now EX DEMO.. Available from Sept 1st. So obviously trying their luck but to try and get that amount at the end of the UK holiday season and not much hope of overseas travel until next year. Don’t know when it was first registered but 3000 miles seems a lot for an ex demo unless they did the £200 per day “Demo” and money back if you buy.

When I ordered mine the Salesman had one (Demo) as his 'company' transport. He lived about 40 miles from the Showroom.

17 reg Ocean at Swindon VW van centre for £55k, silver. Don't know engine, extras or mileage.

17 reg Ocean at Swindon VW van centre for £55k, silver. Don't know engine, extras or mileage.
23k miles, manual gear box, can’t see the engine type

Features​

Digital clock
Driver alert system
External temperature gauge
Low washer fluid indicator
Rev counter
Service interval indicator
Tailgate power closing
Trip computer
180A alternator
2x Auxiliary rechargable batteries
Auxiliary input socket
DAB Digital radio
Radio/CD + MP3
USB port
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Body colour bumpers
Body colour door mirrors and handles
Electric adjustable/heated/folding door mirrors
Front fog lights with static cornering function
Glazed tailgate
Heated front washer nozzles and low fluid level indicator
Intermittent windscreen wipers
LED tail lights
Power latching sliding driver's door
Power windows
Range adjustable headlights
Rear wash/wipe
Roof rails
Side sliding windows
230V socket
3 zone climate control
Adjustable dashboard illumination
Auxiliary heater
Camping table with two folding chairs
Centre console
Driver + passenger lumbar support
Dust/pollen filters
Front door storage bins with bottle holder
Front grab handles
Front seat armrests
Front seat backrest storage nets
Head restraints for all seats
Heated front seats
Independent rear heating controls
Interior illuminated entry steps
ISOFIX top tethers and lower anchor points
Jack and tool kit
Leather gear knob/gaiter
Leather steering wheel
Parking heater with programmable timer and remote control
Preparation for separate seat in passenger compartment
Storage net on lower dash passenger side
Sunvisors with illuminated vanity mirrors
Swivelling front seats
Smoking pack - California
ABS/EBD
Brake assist function
Child proof door locks
Door open warning
Driver seatbelt warning indicator
Driver/Front Passenger airbags
Driver/front passenger seatbelt tensioners
EDL
ESP
Front assist including city emergency braking
Front side airbags with curtain airbags
Hill hold control
Passenger airbag deactivation system
Two tone horn
Tyre pressure warning
Electronic immobiliser
Lockable tailgate
Locking wheel nuts
215/65 R17 tyres with optimised rolling resistance
Wheel covers
This is the manufacturer's list specification for this model, please verify the details when you view the vehicle. The list below will not include any additional options fitted to the vehicle or modifications.

I paid less for my used 2017 Ocean in 2018 with just 900 miles on the clock…
Crazy times.

Reading this with interest as it seems most of not all Oceans are sitting at a similar price point, it seems that they are all over priced, and even the Private Sellers are at a similar level. I’m concerned about paying ‘too much’ but unable to gauge what is too much, and therefore is it about paying what I am happy to pay, and not considering what I may get back for it in the future? as actually that is totally unknown and dependant on many other things that I can’t control.

Reading this with interest as it seems most of not all Oceans are sitting at a similar price point, it seems that they are all over priced, and even the Private Sellers are at a similar level. I’m concerned about paying ‘too much’ but unable to gauge what is too much, and therefore is it about paying what I am happy to pay, and not considering what I may get back for it in the future? as actually that is totally unknown and dependant on many other things that I can’t control.
Surely a mind game?
Is it a long-term purchase? If so and you’re sinking the cash for an indeterminate period then it’s not really a financial investment but the purchase of a lifestyle.
If you’re just testing it to see if it’s for you, and it might be a short term purchase, you may well be in luck, as many who bought new up to about 5 years ago are, and sell it for close to what you bought it for, particularly given the continuing new price hikes.
Always good to buy in the winter? Is the best time for buyers Dec/Jan?
Only you can judge whether it’s better to have that cash tied up in a California, or instead eg rent one for 2 weeks a year (£2k?) and have a great holiday for £5k each year both funded from the investment of the cash.
Worst comes to worst and your Cali depreciated like a new Citroen, how would you feel? Glad you’ve got it, or gutted you lost the cash? It won’t of course, but you then win the mind game - you’re up on the worst case…

Last edited:
I’m coming round to the thinking old is gold.
I consider myself far to sensible to pay anything like £80k for a California.
Sound advice above. You’re buying into a lifestyle, not an investment.

I’m coming round to the thinking old is gold.
I consider myself far to sensible to pay anything like £80k for a California.
Sound advice above. You’re buying into a lifestyle, not an investment.

I agree, however how do you think it might go regarding emissions moving forwards?

I’m considering buying a 2010 Cali and selling our 2018 Cali, using the difference to buy a car.

I agree, however how do you think it might go regarding emissions moving forwards?

I’m considering buying a 2010 Cali and selling our 2018 Cali, using the difference to buy a car.

Depends how often you drive into major cities. If it’s only once in a while.
The £50k difference pays a lot of congestion tax…?

Depends how often you drive into major cities. If it’s only once in a while.
The £50k difference pays a lot of congestion tax…?

That’s my thinking too, just wondering how soon it will spread out of cities and if there will be a total ban in certain areas.

That’s my thinking too, just wondering how soon it will spread out of cities and if there will be a total ban in certain areas.
These zones are a worry, but going newer buys you how much time? My £20k 2006 looks like it may cop it in Manchester's zone from 2023, but how long until your £80k 21 plate faces a £10 a day charge?
My 2006 difficultly also applies to a 2015/16 T5.

These zones are a worry, but going newer buys you how much time? My £20k 2006 looks like it may cop it in Manchester's zone from 2023, but how long until your £80k 21 plate faces a £10 a day charge?
My 2006 difficultly also applies to a 2015/16 T5.
Is day will come some country tells to peoples. - only electric car can be drive, private peoples cannot driving gasoline / diesel private car?

Is day will come some country tells to peoples. - only electric car can be drive, private peoples cannot driving gasoline / diesel private car?
Only if the poorer people accept all these futile gestures, go too fast and they will rebel and/or vote out the people who are attacking their standard of living, probably.

Back