Winter wheels

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Got the winter wheels back on today. :thumb

Tip. Get one of these if you're doing it yourself. Makes it easy to locate the wheel on the hub and line up the bolt holes. Plastic ones are available as well but they wear out after a few uses.

These pics are on our Yeti but just the same on the Cali.

what a good idea just done ours with abit of a struggle, both look strange without big alloys on

GMTA. Brian,

Albert gets his winter wheels on tomorrow,

Whilst Jen goes and plays with a T6 :D

What a great simple bit of kit. I've stuggled so many times over the years replacing wheels, wish I'd know about it before. The 17" Cali alloys are certainly an effort to get back on.

Where did you buy the metal one in your picture from?

GMTA. Brian,

Albert gets his winter wheels on tomorrow,

Whilst Jen goes and plays with a T6 :D
I sense a large hit on your bank account in the offing :D

Ordered my tyres for next week but garage said they could just swap tyres rather me buy new steel rims - not sure whether to take the hit on steel rims or just swap. What do most do?

I swapped mine over at the weekend in readiness for our ski trip. I have the winter tyres on standard steel rims and now Klaus looks more like a converted builders van than a Cali :(

Last edited:
Just switched over to our winter set of steels with nokian WR tyres. So now for a much dirtier van as the flick up on mud is always impressive! The grip is a lot better although the ride is somewhat firmer... lets see if the mega winer actually delivers?

Ordered my tyres for next week but garage said they could just swap tyres rather me buy new steel rims - not sure whether to take the hit on steel rims or just swap. What do most do?

Separate steels for us with some centre caps like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGE...151405?hash=item3ab73a40ed:g:8aMAAOSw14xWK5j-
Saves the bother/expense of having the tyres swapped and rebalanced twice a year. Can swap yourself if so inclined. There are some 16in steels on eBay at the moment, current bids ÂŁ40ish. Half an hour left.
More practical in winter, saves salt and crap getting on the alloys.
If you are planning on fitting chains at any time then some chains have bits that go across the front of the wheel. There's a possibilty this could scratch/damage an alloy.

I got a set of steel rims and trims for nothing from the dealer I bought the van from, I just asked and they said they had them in from time to time, its worth asking after all I spent a lot of money with them

Got the winter wheels back on today. :thumb

Tip. Get one of these if you're doing it yourself. Makes it easy to locate the wheel on the hub and line up the bolt holes. Plastic ones are available as well but they wear out after a few uses.

These pics are on our Yeti but just the same on the Cali.
Isn't there one of these in the tool kit? All of my previous VW vehicles have had one.

Separate steels for us with some centre caps like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGE...151405?hash=item3ab73a40ed:g:8aMAAOSw14xWK5j-
Saves the bother/expense of having the tyres swapped and rebalanced twice a year. Can swap yourself if so inclined. There are some 16in steels on eBay at the moment, current bids ÂŁ40ish. Half an hour left.
More practical in winter, saves salt and crap getting on the alloys.
If you are planning on fitting chains at any time then some chains have bits that go across the front of the wheel. There's a possibilty this could scratch/damage an alloy.
Many thanks I think I'll go for the steel rims - price quoted at moment is ÂŁ66 plus vat each from VW Germany (17) which is a bit steep - I'll shop around. Appreciate the helpful comments.

Briwy, just checked this and it states not suitable for 2011 4motion. Do you know better? I would like one.

Strange, never checked it before but it is certainly OK on the 4Motions we have now and in the past. I'll double check the thread size on mine in the morning.

briwy,
I also checked the website and it said it was not suitable for use on a T5 Transporter.Look forward to hearing how you get on when you check the thread on the one you've already got.
Borris,
If they've been previously included as part of the tool kit for other VW's perhaps they are available directly from VW stores with the correct thread. But at what price?

Well I'm baffled by this.
This is the tool I have. 14mm dia. 1.5mm, same as described in the eBay advert.

This from the same suppliers, strangely it also says not suitable for the 4Motion. In fact it seems to say in the selection list not suitable for a Transporter at all despite the heading listing it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-WHE...WAGEN-TRANSPORTER-T4-T5-BOLT-3E-/230883659282

Also found this, bit cheaper as well, not sure about postage though
http://www.t4srus.co.uk/vw-t4--t5-quick-align-alloy-wheel-tool---single-1431-p.asp

and this seems to confirm that all T5s have the same bolts
http://www.t4srus.co.uk/vw-t5-replacement-wheel-bolt-single-2307-p.asp

Just to be sure I have ordered one from the original eBay advert as I don't want to mislead anyone.
My apologies if it turns out not to fit after all.

Don't believe everything you read on eBay. Found numerous light bulbs, exactly the same as removed from my California - not for T5.1 according to eBay.

Well I'm baffled by this.
This is the tool I have. 14mm dia. 1.5mm, same as described in the eBay advert.

Where did you get your wheel bolt covers from "briwy". I presume they are covers?

Can get bolt covers from van centre or ebay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Came with the van from new. I thought they were standard as they were on our previous Cali as well.
Thanks. Have asked my Dealer to replace or provide covers under warranty when my Van is in for service next week.

Back