Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Window tinting

C

chris151151

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi Any views on having tinted film applied to wi dows if mt Coast for a bit more privacy Pros, cons, things to watch out for. Thanks.

Side windows dead easy diy either indoors or on a still cool day outside. Windows have so little curvature you dont need to shrink the film.
Rear window is a right bas###d its heavily compound curved and film only shrinks in one axis. You need a very thin pliable film and lots of patience. Took 4 attempts and x2 rolls of film for a job im happy with as diy.
If you want perfection of the rear window maybe dont diy.

Just be aware if you're making it significantly darker for privacy, you're also reducing the light coming in - less of an issue on a sunny day, but if you're in the van on a rainy campsite might make it a bit gloomy?

I had tint film on my previous California, it made the world a gloomy place, and visibility was poor. Took it off the rear window as the visibility bothered me too much...put up with it on the sides for the extra privacy. I wouldn't have it again. Standard privacy glass is about right i am thinking.

I had a 15% ceramic tint applied and I'm very happy with it, £300 to be professionaly fitted means it's a job I don't think is worth it DIY.

I find visibility and day time light levels absolutely fine but have no problem getting changed/using the loo without shutting the blinds. It is nose to glass to see in.

I have the factory tinted glass, and indeed, on bright sunny days it's as if it isn't tinted.
On darker, rainy days, it's already quite dark inside. Also when the sun is setting, it gets quite dark inside. When you go outside then, you can tell the difference, as it still will be bright enough outside, but not inside anymore.
Also, most aftermarket tinted windows, in my opinion don't look very good.
Only very professional tinted windows could have my approval.

I had tint film on my previous California, it made the world a gloomy place, and visibility was poor. Took it off the rear window as the visibility bothered me too much...put up with it on the sides for the extra privacy. I wouldn't have it again. Standard privacy glass is about right i am thinking.
I did exactly the same. I didn’t like the restricted vision out of the rear window, but left the tint on the rear sides. I found the inside too dark and the van did not feel such a happy place to be.

Hi Any views on having tinted film applied to wi dows if mt Coast for a bit more privacy Pros, cons, things to watch out for. Thanks.
If your windows already have a factory tint be careful which level of tint you go for. With a factory tint I personally would not go beyond 20% on top, unless you want it to feel overly dark inside.

IMG_6491.jpeg

Didn't have the factory tint so had it done at vw Liverpool when we bought our coast. Wouldn't be without it. Can't see in from outside, slightly darker inside but not enough to worry about

Personal choice. I like the tint new van straight from VW all rear windows tinted, wouldn’t be with out it . Next week solar panels, all sorted

I had Coast and had the limo tints applied so it boils down to privacy and security vs darker inside. Surveilance of your fellow campers is also optimised without looking nosy. Now got Ocean and my wife misses limo look, she is the nosy one btw

I had a 15% ceramic tint applied and I'm very happy with it, £300 to be professionaly fitted means it's a job I don't think is worth it DIY.

I find visibility and day time light levels absolutely fine but have no problem getting changed/using the loo without shutting the blinds. It is nose to glass to see in.
Except of course totally on show through the cab windows.

If your windows already have a factory tint be careful which level of tint you go for. With a factory tint I personally would not go beyond 20% on top, unless you want it to feel overly dark inside.

View attachment 121882
I’m confused! Does this mean 15% tint blocks out 85% of the light? I’d always assumed that a bigger number meant darker windows :confused:

The number is the % of light let through.

Lower is darker with 5% being limo black, allowing 5% of the light through.

A 30% factory tint would be blocking 70% of the light. An aftermarket 20% applied to that would block 80% of the 30%

Last edited:
Here are photos of our old T4 with replacement glass windows that were professionly fitted (not a stick on tint, apart from the tailgate which is the cheaper stick on film as we're unable to get a heated one at the time).

Transparency was 18% therefore 82% of the light is blocked out, it did not make the van too dark when inside.

If using stick on film, you need to remember that most factory glass will normally have some kind of tint from the factory, so don't got too dark otherwise the inside of the van will be a very gloomy place!

Also attached is a a photo of our 2012 Beach which had standard VW factory tinted windows (but not sure of %):IMG_1886.jpegIMG_1935.jpegIMG_5802.jpegIMG_5800.jpegIMG_5214.jpegIMG_0136.jpeg

Does anybody know what level of tint is the original factory applied tint.

Previous van came with tinted windows so well used to them, they make a great difference to privacy. New one didn’t had that done by local installer a year ago, top job, wouldn’t attempt diy.

After the first summer I got my Cali windows tinted by Global Tint, I chose their Luna shade.
Rear and sides done.
Very happy with the added privacy, not bothered by the inside being slightly darker.

Watch some of the earlier a bus and beyond youtube videos. They had a tint applied ontop of the factory tint. I think they had "limo" tint. They mentioned it in a video reviewing the new california 6.1 coast and what extras you could have. That will give you an idea of how much light comes in.

I think a pic from inside and one from outside will show why I’m quite happy with my tiniting and would recommend it …
Look at the difference from the passenger side and the driver's

79491496-0475-4f5a-b782-b3d885e8b72c.jpeg

75b47dd3-b693-4c74-a313-8fb05fa04086.jpeg

Back