Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind out questions

DavidCluckie8

DavidCluckie8

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi folks. First post. Be kind or point me in the right direction if already answered. Ta

New Cali Ocean 6.1 delivered in October 2023. Loving it. Been away a few times. Looking forward to better weather and using the wind out awning.
Just to confirm that model is Thule 5102?
Considering the Thule Rain/Wind sides and front as opposed to drive away awning. We are unlikely to stay on one site for more than 2 days.
Was looking today and the ‘scissor’ legs seem away over the the left hand side. Can these be moved and easily? From looking around I need to fit parts onto the rails and wouldn’t have any space to put the plastic bits.
Pictures show left hand side really close to edge and right hand side with lots of room.
Thanks

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1278.jpeg

Hi folks. First post. Be kind or point me in the right direction if already answered. Ta

New Cali Ocean 6.1 delivered in October 2023. Loving it. Been away a few times. Looking forward to better weather and using the wind out awning.
Just to confirm that model is Thule 5102?
Considering the Thule Rain/Wind sides and front as opposed to drive away awning. We are unlikely to stay on one site for more than 2 days.
Was looking today and the ‘scissor’ legs seem away over the the left hand side. Can these be moved and easily? From looking around I need to fit parts onto the rails and wouldn’t have any space to put the plastic bits.
Pictures show left hand side really close to edge and right hand side with lots of room.
Thanks
The legs are easy to move, just important to move both ends of the arm the same amount.
To use one of the Thule rooms you do need to move the front leg to the edge of the awning, there’s just one bolt at each end to loosen.
The side panels from the club shop rely on the sides being inset from the edge to keep the rain out whereas a Thule safari room has a clamping beam that joins the edge of the roof to the top of the side walls.
By moving the arms to the edge it means you do get a much bigger space in the awning.

Well I suppose I was half right.
Every day is a school day!

This doesn’t look like something you would want to do for a 2 day stay. Looks like something you will be selling in 12 months.
Cinch is popular for ease and speed.

Last edited:
We’ve seen the Thule Safari Residence being used and packed away on a site last year. It seems very fiddly and time consuming. Definitely not a solution if you want to use your van to go and get the chips!

Back