Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Who uses all the Functions of the California SE

Indicate which functions you use regularly.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
What functions of the California SE do you use on a regular basis.
It would seem that some Forum Members never use some of the functions, they don't cook in it, never use the in-built fresh and waste water tanks etc:
Some Members seem more keen on keeping their vehicle in pristine condition to maximise it's resale value rather than use it as intended.

So please vote, and see if that is a true impression!

Thank you.

Ah yes. Do you ONLY use Mains hookup, or would you still stay if Mains was not available?
Some people might not be prepared to chance just using the leisure batteries, which is what the California is designed to do.

Leisure batteries only on site. Hook up at home to charge properly.

Sorry but I don't get the mains only option please explain a scenario where this would be a choice to disregard the leisure batteries

I have a friend with a camper, not VW, that has the same sought of system as the VW , Leisure batteries that can power the whole system for at least 2 to 3 days. He would not consider staying on any campsite for even 1 night if he did not have mains hook up. Would you?
That is why there are 2 choices. Are you someone who must have Mains, even for 1 night, or if mains was not available and you wanted to stay 1 night then would you be happy to stay existing on the leisure batteries.
I know you are going to point out that the Mains only charges the Leisure batteries and that everything is run off 12v, but for a 1 night stay would you insist on Mains?

The mains would give you a proper 220/240v socket in the van too

Whether I wanted EHU would depend on how long I'm staying and whether I wanted to the use the mains socket, i.e. Missus Hairdryer/straighteners, fan etc.

In my opinion I think it should be a choice of all 8 as you either use the hookup or not

Sorry not trying to be augmentative or pedantic just wanted to understand the options :)

That's why it says Leisure Battery +\~ Mains.
If you would Never stay anywhere without a Mains connection because of the Hairdryer then you would choose Mains Only!, because you will never "Wildcamp ", because you couldn't use your hairdryer.

Ok so now I understand the choise is asking whether I would only camp at sites with EHU plugged in :)

Yes. It would seem that some people do.

The Cali just does not really need to hook up to the mains and generally I would hardly ever pay money to hook up at a site. It can easily go 5 days stationary without hook up.

During my 15 month away in mine I only had hook up once every couple of months for a day in order to deep charge the battery's....

After 2 years & with 169 nights on board, we have never used a mains hook-up away from home.
But we usually only stay one night per halt (maximum of 4 nights per halt so far).
The battery state on site has never been below 70%.
We have the engine running for roof manoeuvers.

Good. So you're using the California as designed.

Interesting results appearing.
It would appear that 41 have voted and although 40 voted for
Leisure Battery +\~ Mains, 5 have voted for Mains Only, so at least 4 have voted for both.:confused:

of 120 nights so far I think I have had the EHU plugged in about 10 times if that.

I have never used the awning.

I am using the table and chairs today, for only the third time,

I have only used the upstairs bed about three times but it is a very handy convenience on those occasions that my dogs have stayed with me.

Interesting on how we all use our vehicles differently.

I believe the 180SE has a book speed of 120+mph, have you used that?

Close 163 km/hr . Then a car came up behind and there was a HGV in front so had to back off. Germany - Autobahn.

Keep voting everyone. We must be able to top the 100 mark surely.:thumb

I mentioned above that in 2 years & 169 nights on board, we have never used the Electrical Hook-Up when away from home.

I could also add that (apart from testing) we have never used:
- The awning
- Remote heater control
- Safety net
- Strap for holding table over back seat
- Rotation of drivers seat (LHD!)
- Emergency strap for roof...

Nor all the "essential" stuff we bought in the early days:
- Ploo
- Tow rope
- Jumper leads
- Magnetic key holder
- Waterproof keys

That's why I didn't put them in the Poll.
So you would have voted Leisure Batteries +\~ Mains.
Not all California's have an Awning.

personally I do both camp on a mountain for a few days but if i'm on site I all ways have hook up.

We use everything otherwise would have bought a Beach which are lovely too! You can't beat the feeling of pulling up on a site, putting the roof up, putting a pan of milk on and sitting on the step drinking hot chocolate enjoying the view and feeling so happy to own a California.

We only use a mains hook-up in the winter (by which I mean Easter / early May!) when we need a heater, as we can't get the heater to work without it although it should. However, sometimes we have paid for a hook-up anyway (on Caravan Club sites) so I've just sent off for a low-voltage kettle to make use of the leccy rather than using up gas.

We had two weeks in Switzerland without hook-up, and were cooking three-course meals on the hob every night (until I thought, what? we don't ever eat three courses at home, what am I doing?).

Use all the options, but rarely use the rear seat as a bed as we sleep up top, but it is useful if we need to be sneaky and sleep where we should not be.

Back