Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where should this water be going? (Under roof above passenger door)

PatVan

PatVan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi,

Today we gave our T6 california a wash. We have had it about a month now, and it has mostly been kept in a car port.

After cleaning it, I put the roof up to clean the rubber seals on it. I found a pool of water in the front left corner of the roof.

I looked to see if there was a drainage hole, but could not spot anything. I mopped the water away, put the roof down and put the van back under the car port.

But I was wondering if there is supposed to be a drainage channel?

I should say the van was on a hill, with the front left corner at the lowest point when I washed it, so maybe it would have drained away when it got on level ground?

Appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Thanks

Pat

20240413_112323.jpg

There should be a (small) drain hole front left through the large black rubber/plastic piece. May be hidden by the mass of sealant that’s been applied. I have had one in the past that was blocked by the sealant and had to be opened up but they are also prone to blocking with dirt etc. Should also be a plastic cover that clips over the top of the pipes too which needs to be removed to access where you show in the picture - do you have that or is it missing? Doesn’t look quite right to me, poor sealant application and I don’t recall the pipes being routed like that but I don’t have a Cali at the moment to check against - someone else may be able to come to comment or provide a picture or a search on here will bring up plenty of threads on the subject. Are you aware of work having been done in this area? Looks possible to me.

IMG_7348.jpegThe drain hole should be about here.
Mine was the same as yours with pools on both sides. I used Welshgas’s advice and used a syringe with some tubing and blew them through. Quite a satisfying tsunami of water in the front wheel arch after.

There should be a (small) drain hole front left through the large black rubber/plastic piece. May be hidden by the mass of sealant that’s been applied. I have had one in the past that was blocked by the sealant and had to be opened up but they are also prone to blocking with dirt etc. Should also be a plastic cover that clips over the top of the pipes too which needs to be removed to access where you show in the picture - do you have that or is it missing? Doesn’t look quite right to me, poor sealant application and I don’t recall the pipes being routed like that but I don’t have a Cali at the moment to check against - someone else may be able to come to comment or provide a picture or a search on here will bring up plenty of threads on the subject. Are you aware of work having been done in this area? Looks possible to me.
Thanks for that. There was a plastic cover. I had unclipped it to see if I could spot the drain hole. I'll have another look for the drain hole.
I'm not sure if work has been done up there. We bought the van from a dealer, so no history from the previous owner unfortunately.
Hopefully it's just a bit of muck and I can get that cleared!

View attachment 121936The drain hole should be about here.
Mine was the same as yours with pools on both sides. I used Welshgas’s advice and used a syringe with some tubing and blew them through. Quite a satisfying tsunami of water in the front wheel arch after.
Thanks for the tip about the syringe... and the guidance as to where to look for the drain hole. I'll give that a go.

Last week I fixed the draining for good.
I cut off the rubber flaps from the end bits of the drain tubes under the front windshield.
Now the water will never stay put at the top.
On the left and right, under the plastic cover under the front windshield, you can take out the 2 black metal panels. You just need a torx T30, unscrew 2 screws. Then you take the left and right dashboard side plastic trims off, and the undertrays in the footwells. Grab the rubber end bits and pull them out ( after you drained the water!!). Cout off the flaps from the outside, making the opening clear and put everything back. The water will never accumulate on top anymore.

This happens periodically for us, in fact had a very small bit of tree pollen stuck in the entrance to the drain hole last week and so pooling and ingress into the cab. Always worth a check and sweep out when you have the roof up and it's dry! Glad you got it sorted :)

Back