Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

West highland 4 day trip

V

Vanalli

Guest User
Help!

I have enjoyed a new 4 motion cali since last summer. I love the highlands having walked around a fair bit of it, and would love to take my family in the van for a comfortable adventure. Any advice?

The two boys are 4&5 but very adventurous.

I would love to do a camp fire on the beach for the boys.

Welcome , i'm sure you will catch some tips , but not from me ...
Your highlands are a bit to far away for me.... ;)

Thanks,

They are a long way for me too but love them so much.

Some friends of ours run a website called walk highlands and although your children are a bit small there are plenty of ideas and maps on the site

Hi Vanalli,

With thanks to T4WFA for recommending my blog, you might find my suggestions useful in terms of campsites where you can have campfires, best family-friendly hillwalks and best scenic journeys.
http://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/06/30/top-10-campsite-that-allow-campfires/
http://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/06/02/top-10-family-friendly-hills-in-scotland/
http://wildaboutscotland.com/2014/05/15/top-10-scenic-roads-in-scotland/

If there's a specific activity or location you're interested in let me know and I'll see if I can suggest something. As Sandalfarm, says, WalkHighlands is the definitive resource for walking in Scotland. I'm a keen walker too.

Help!

I have enjoyed a new 4 motion cali since last summer. I love the highlands having walked around a fair bit of it, and would love to take my family in the van for a comfortable adventure. Any advice?

If you're going up the A82 at the top of Loch Lomond stop at the Drovers Inn, it doesn't look great from the outside but very rustic and loads of stuffed hunting stuff inside, boys will love it - its in the Best of Scotland book -decent food.

There's also a Bothy at the top end of the Lock not too far away so they can compare.it with the Cali luxuries.☺

Help!

Ardnamurchan, two Britstops, both by a beach.

Then to Mallaig, over the sea to skye, Sunset at Staffen, nice campsite at broadford virtually on the beach.

Then wester ross, follow the coast, summer time and Bealach Na Ba will be open, to Torridon, lovely campsite.

Another plus for Ewan's "wild about Scotland". A brilliant resource.

+1 for ardnamurchan but it it is a bit of a trek which might be too long with 2 small active kids. I remember vividly a holiday there with my parents about 40 years ago and took my own teenagers back there about 15 years ago.

But how about Back of Keppoch near Arisaig. Brilliant for a bit of coasteering for small kids, again trip down memory lane for me with my kids. We had a fire on the beach around there.

Another great one for kids if you get to Skye is the coral beach, north of Dunvegan castle. Shortish walk, we saw otters on one of the small rocky outcrops near the coast.

My kids (teenagers at the time as I said) also enjoyed the walking to the old man of Store, very atmospheric on the right day.

Whatever you do I'm sure it will leave a lasting impression on them. It certainly did on me.

If you fancy a wild camp on the way further north try the little car park at the end of Glen Etive.
Ideal for kids to run around and fantastic views.
Turn left at the top of Glen Coe.

Hi vanalli. Note your boys are 4 and 5. If you can get yourself up the A9 as far as Inverness then head East on the A96. There are numerous locations off the A96. Findhorn, Roseisle, Burghead, Hopeman Cullen to name but a few, where you can wild camp in the Cali. These locations are very close to the Moray Firth where the views are fantastic. Dolphins, seals in abundance. Roseisle in particular has an excellent beach for having a campfire. Just a few thoughts. Norm.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

We had a great time. We got as far as Drum' and Canich and Glen Coe.

Plenty more trips needed up there.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Back