Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warning light - coil

Zebedee

Zebedee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi have just got in my 2013 Cali and the yellow warning light coil is flashing intermittently.......what could this be?

Zebedee

Egr valve would be my guess Judith. Does it reset after switching off the ignition?

Comes back on but flashing when engine started. Was just on the drive. Have not used the Cali for a couple of days. I recall someone had fox trouble related to this and there were foxes outside last night but can't find the thread. Done 21,000 miles only.....180 manual, serviced by SMG about 2000 miles ago.

It will need to be diagnosed using vag com to tell for sure but my money is still on the egr valve. Let's hope you get it sorted soon

Yes, I've had it twice, first time was EGR valve and second was foxes or squirrels chewing the wiring under the van.

EGR valve should be covered under warranty, good luck whatever it is.

Can mean many things - I've also had it twice during my years of t5 vans. Once was faulty brake light switch and more recently my egr valve, although I had the engine management light on as well with that and it kept going into limp mode.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I have it with mine, normally damp weather with the vehicle pointing down hill.

It's an amber light which means carry on with what you are doing but be worried.

Restarting normally makes it disappear and I carry on as normal with a mental note to get someone to look at it as soon as someone, which being a VW dealer, gets round to calling or emailing me back.

It was the foxes!!!!!! They had chewed one of the engine management cables. The very nice man from VW Assist has effected a repair, replaced the cable and sensor and made a trunking for it and the other cables under there with a section of tubing used for the Adblue! Total cost under £30 ......phew!

We don't have too many foxes but we have wads of grey squirrels who shelter under the van.
I must start scattering them ...

It was me who had the fox trouble - chewed three separate times. You got off lightly, I drove to the VW dealer and they charged me £300 to replace the chewed wires and 2 sensors the first time and slightly less the second time as only one sensor damaged. Took it to the local workshop I use for my other car the third time it happened and they were able to cut and rejoin damaged wire and then cover all wires with tubing and cable ties (cut short) and painted all with thick grease. All for no charge! VW dealer had no suggestions to solve problem and were not interested in any preventative measures.I never thought to call VW Assist at any point didn't think they would come out to my driveway to repair anything. If it happens again I will keep this in mind - thanks. Why are Cali wires so attractive to foxes?

The foxes also ate my neighbours new garden lighting as well despite a local family putting out big bags of meat and bones for them every night. Just going to local garden centre to get fox deterrent to spray the driveway with. I think the ultrasound ones might affect the dog too much!