Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Emissions Scandal & The VW California

Seemed a bit like a missed opportunity to me in some ways. If your trying to prove the existence of software code why change a parameter (temp of the engine) that could also cause a change the NOx levels irrespective of software. If the 2nd test had also been run 'cold' but changing the steering wheel or other irrelevant to emissions parameter and it gave an out of spec result that to me would be much more telling of a software cheat code. Having said all that VW in the statement seemed to admit cheating the euro test anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strange that all the other manufacturers are so quiet. If NOX levels have not dropped over the years despite the introduction of Euro4/5 emissions control then ALL the diesels must be putting out higher levels, or maintaining levels in the real world, despite what the Lab tests show and VW cannot be responsible for all the NOX. As demonstrated by the Zafira.

I'm still trying to understand the point of the programme?

We know VW has a cheat device and shame on them...

Why didn't they try a variety of different manufacturers (not just a GM who then denied the programmes findings) cars to see if they all had a higher NOX level and then potentially investigate how they all achieved this? (i.e. does the whole motor industry use different forms of defeat devices)...

And why didn't they explain why they had to go to the Czech Republic to do the testing why is the testing so secretive and why would no one in the UK permit access?

My testing friend said : Looked like undiluted sampling to me...

No idea what that is lol

Snip

And why didn't they explain why they had to go to the Czech Republic to do the testing why is the testing so secretive and why would no one in the UK permit access?

They did explain that issue, none of the UK test centres would allow the BBC to run tests and film the result in their establishments.

Alan

I think the major issue here is not that the manufacturers are able to get their vehicles through the static test satisfactorily, but that the test is not comprehensive enough.

The programme clearly demonstrated that a static rolling road test from cold gives differing results from real world use with a hot engine.

If the test covered real world use, then the makers would have to address it, and maybe the NOx pollution figures would start dropping.

The other manufacturer's are quiet because they are waiting for the fall out. Once the dust has settled on VW, then they will quietly change their cars and breath a sign of relief that the issue did not land on their patch.

GM have now been caught out though, although it was not made clear in the programme if the Safira had a Euro 6 engine. It was tested using the Euro 6 2015/16 specs.

Personally, I think not enough top heads have rolled at VW. There is no way this was an issue that the bosses were ignorant of. Blaming a couple of wayward engineers is a cop out. There is a lot of corporate back covering going on.

Alan

Last edited:
Alan I think you missed my point...

Why wouldn't the UK test centres give them access and let them film....why the secrecy?

Alan I think you missed my point...

Why wouldn't the UK test centres give them access and let them film....why the secrecy?

Who's to say.
There can't many facilities like those in the UK. The only one of I know of is MIRA in Nuneaton.

Alan

Based on that show and my friends comments probably because they new the facilities wouldnt be used properly and didn't want to be associated with it? Could alienate their very customers?

Makes sense, people who took deliver in November ordered their vehicles 6 month before, so before the dieselgate.

Different thig is that they have sold more (I gues it mans they closed more orders) in November

You guys have probably already seen this but it makes me laugh!
VWs attempt at a loco didn't pass the emissions tests either!

BB9887A8-0209-40E7-8524-1CA346A42031.png_zps2aqp0r8u.jpeg

Which this month has a feature on the pollution issues.
95% of the vehicles tested did not meet the standards required for E6 and most didn't even meet E3.
Interestingly in the top ten worst there were no VWs.
Same applied to petrol vehicles.

Which this month has a feature on the pollution issues.
95% of the vehicles tested did not meet the standards required for E6 and most didn't even meet E3.
Interestingly in the top ten worst there were no VWs.
Same applied to petrol vehicles.
Any chance of listing the ten? (Sorry, I don't subscribe to Which)
Cheers.

Watch the price of cars ruse accordingly.

Interesting piece in Saturday's FT about VW. (23rd Sep 16). Biggest ever loss of about 1.6Bn Euros and a cash bonus pot of 63M shared between 12 top execs. Depressingly familiar in the corporate world but at least we know now why new Cali's have gone up in price by so much recently.

Back