VW bike rack falling down when not in used

• Thread starter HH camping adventures
  • Start date
H

HH camping adventures

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello
We have just fixed a new vw bike rack to our brand new Beach. All was fine when the bikes were on but having removed the bikes and closed the rack it has dropped back down twice while driving on the motorway .

I’ve checked that nothing is blocking it and it’s fully up right so can’t understand why its happening - should there be a extra clasp to keep it locked & closed ?
I hope I’m explaining this well!!

Thanks in advance for any advise

I clamp the shortest arm onto the frame to keep everything in place after having that happen.

Hello
We have just fixed a new vw bike rack to our brand new Beach. All was fine when the bikes were on but having removed the bikes and closed the rack it has dropped back down twice while driving on the motorway .

I’ve checked that nothing is blocking it and it’s fully up right so can’t understand why its happening - should there be a extra clasp to keep it locked & closed ?
I hope I’m explaining this well!!

Thanks in advance for any advise
Get an old style toeclip strap and secure it top of the rack / bike tray:

1649168370857.png

We use 2 of the wheel securing straps that came with the rack. Secured at the very top. Never had any issues. We also found that leaving the bike securing bars on the rack when not in use tended to corrode, making it difficult to loosen when needed. I removed all the clamps and use a tap and die on all the threads to remove corrosion, then used a copper grease to reassemble. The bars are now stored in the rear bench drawer for when needed.

Yup, much like @Alan Andrews we simply use the wheel securing straps on the outermost (higher) bar. I think CaliforniaChris on YouTube mentions it too

We use 2 of the wheel securing straps that came with the rack. Secured at the very top. Never had any issues. We also found that leaving the bike securing bars on the rack when not in use tended to corrode, making it difficult to loosen when needed. I removed all the clamps and use a tap and die on all the threads to remove corrosion, then used a copper grease to reassemble. The bars are now stored in the rear bench drawer for when needed.
+1 for using the rear most bike rail's straps secured around the top bar once folded. Our one has that in the instructions. "When driving with an empty rack fold up the support frame 48 and secure with two wheel straps 53. Figure L"

16491889622772986380774771283362.jpg

Just for clarity, would these help? I slide the bike wheel bracket along for a better fit :thumb

48C6257A-D640-49B5-BC89-EDA623EF8A15.jpeg

D72BC857-9AAC-4268-A461-FC911C42044D.jpeg

68FF4D11-43ED-46C2-87B1-DE8C788B06DB.jpeg

Back