Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW awning leg issue - repair? Replace? Or put up with it?

pematthe-1967

pematthe-1967

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
It seems that one leg of the awning on my VW unit is dodgy! The plastic tab that locks the leg in position feels like it is going to snap when locking. The other side is a smooth friction fit. Not sure why as they look the same and I cannot see anything broken.

Does anyone else have similar or found a fix? Off on hols tomorrow to Croatia (only 3 hours for me - yay) and don’t want the damn thing collapsing.

It seems that one leg of the awning on my VW unit is dodgy! The plastic tab that locks the leg in position feels like it is going to snap when locking. The other side is a smooth friction fit. Not sure why as they look the same and I cannot see anything broken.

Does anyone else have similar or found a fix? Off on hols tomorrow to Croatia (only 3 hours for me - yay) and don’t want the damn thing collapsing.
Morning,

Guess you have been using it for some time. has the feel of it changed since the last time you used it, I'm guessing not. they always feel like they are going to snap. flick it down with your finger closer to the pole not at the end of the leaver.

Incidentally, are you able to shed any light which Vignette I might need for a GC 680. thanks if you can

Morning,

Guess you have been using it for some time. has the feel of it changed since the last time you used it, I'm guessing not. they always feel like they are going to snap. flick it down with your finger closer to the pole not at the end of the leaver.

Incidentally, are you able to shed any light which Vignette I might need for a GC 680. thanks if you can
Re awning leg. One side feels like I expect it should. Tight but locks cleanly. The other seems to stick and, as you say, levering at the base does eventually allow it to lock. I am going to forget and snap it at some point!

I will check on the GC vignette and get back to you.

Hi, we sprayed ours with wd40 and is now easier to use. Hope it helps.

Re awning leg. One side feels like I expect it should. Tight but locks cleanly. The other seems to stick and, as you say, levering at the base does eventually allow it to lock. I am going to forget and snap it at some point!

Appreciated checked the official site but not clear.
Have you tried a bit of dry silicone spray.

We have had 2 awnings on our van and both have felt like you describe. I put a little silicone spray on them which helps a bit. Over time they get a lot of mud and sand in them so need to be cleaned to keep the legs free running.

This is from the website and is what I would suggest

If individual brands, models or types of vehicles are not on the List of measured vehicles, such vehicles are deemed to be in the 2A toll class.”

The CG is not listed, only the California, So I would go with the 2A. There is a cavet that it should be 3.5t or less. Over 3.5t, it is different system completely but aimed at commercial vehicles. There is very little specifics on the ‘motor home’ side of the fence. You could use the online contact form. They may ask for the VIN to check against the rules (they have lots of rules!)

Note - the system lists the California (T based). As 2B. My Slovenian Cali is categorised as a ‘leisure vehicle’ on the V5c equiv so it is a ‘motor home’, so a 2A. If they wanted to be narky about overseas vehicles, they would check with the DVLA and see what category the vehicle is registered as. Some seem to be motor caravan, other commercial. If it is commercial, then, by the letter of their laws, it should be a 2B.

This is from the website and is what I would suggest

If individual brands, models or types of vehicles are not on the List of measured vehicles, such vehicles are deemed to be in the 2A toll class.”

The CG is not listed, only the California, So I would go with the 2A. There is a cavet that it should be 3.5t or less. Over 3.5t, it is different system completely but aimed at commercial vehicles. There is very little specifics on the ‘motor home’ side of the fence. You could use the online contact form. They may ask for the VIN to check against the rules (they have lots of rules!)

Note - the system lists the California (T based). As 2B. My Slovenian Cali is categorised as a ‘leisure vehicle’ on the V5c equiv so it is a ‘motor home’, so a 2A. If they wanted to be narky about overseas vehicles, they would check with the DVLA and see what category the vehicle is registered as. Some seem to be motor caravan, other commercial. If it is commercial, then, by the letter of their laws, it should be a 2B.
Thats so kind to go into detail much appreciated, will play it safe and ask them to commit after giving them the details.
Happy travels and thank you.