Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using too much oil

No, but it might be more helpful if you could tell us what vehicle/engine/transmission you have.

And where the oil is dissapearing....
Motor , gearbox , breaks,....
:D
For a first post that can count....welcome anyway!

VW admit that the 2L engine could use upto 1L/1000 miles. But I read somewhere that there was a problem with some engines around 2010 that used a lot of oil.
How old is your vehicle, engine size and milage. Also what Service Schedule is it on, Annual or Long Life.

Are you definitely using the correct oil? Is there any smoke? Is there any oil underneath vehicle?

For comparison my 180 BiTurbo DSG has used NO oil since new, now on 12000 miles and 7 months old.

VW admit that the 2L engine could use upto 1L/1000 miles. But I read somewhere that there was a problem with some engines around 2010 that used a lot of oil.
How old is your vehicle, engine size and milage. Also what Service Schedule is it on, Annual or Long Life.

Are you definitely using the correct oil? Is there any smoke? Is there any oil underneath vehicle?

For comparison my 180 BiTurbo DSG has used NO oil since new, now on 12000 miles and 7 months old.

2010,2 liter automatic 180 dsg,46,000 miles,yearly service,oil is correct, no smoke seen but difficult to establish this, no oil leak, compression test suggest pressure a little lower in three of four cylinders

I have had to put some oil in mine, well done by the VW engineer whilst on a callout for something else. I have done 18,000 miles in an April 2013 vehicle, but it is my only vehicle so I can live with that.

I have had to put some oil in mine, well done by the VW engineer whilst on a callout for something else. I have done 18,000 miles in an April 2013 vehicle, but it is my only vehicle so I can live with that.
That s ok - we re using 6 litre s every 2500 miles (not ok)

2,500 miles per 6 litres would give me concern.

If you had it pressure tested , by a vw dealer? .....what was his diagnose...?
Someting wrong on the cylinderbearing...?
Not so very good news.
On my 2012 dsg , 25.000 KM , no oil refill needed so far , just did a 5000KM trip in three weeks , not a drop gone.
Hope you get it solved

No external loss - seems to be burnt - cylinder pressure lower in three chambers

Or is one cylinder pressure higher due carbon deposits on the piston crown / in the combustion chamber?
Although in a diesel engines there usually isn't a lot of room above the piston, any way just a thought.

I have found that we use just under 1/2 litre between 1st long life service (24k) 41k on clock now 180 dsg
Do not think it would be noticed if we had yearly / 12k service. But 6 litre that would add to running costs.

Last edited:
Automatic dsg -uses 6 liters in 2500 miles
That's way too much, modern diesels will / can, burn lube oil alongside the fuel they consume without much discernible exhaust smoke (+ DPF doing its job) if this consumption has been from new and mileage is still lowish say 40 thou miles, and engine has not been abused, and no oil 'lake' in engine under tray, would suspect a turbo oil seal fault, or ... rare ... engine assembly fault, i.e. piston to bore clearances too large, scraper / oil control ring broken or missing or possibly broken piston ring/s from partial seizure. VAG group have had assembly problem leading to excessive lube oil consumption on I believe, some Audi engines. previous comments highlight these 2.00 litre diesel engines if running well use little oil between services.

That's way too much, modern diesels will / can, burn lube oil alongside the fuel they consume without much discernible exhaust smoke (+ DPF doing its job) if this consumption has been from new and mileage is still lowish say 40 thou miles, and engine has not been abused, and no oil 'lake' in engine under tray, would suspect a turbo oil seal fault, or ... rare ... engine assembly fault, i.e. piston to bore clearances too large, scraper / oil control ring broken or missing or possibly broken piston ring/s from partial seizure. VAG group have had assembly problem leading to excessive lube oil consumption on I believe, some Audi engines. previous comments highlight these 2.00 litre diesel engines if running well use little oil between services.
Thanks for comments - we await further info from vw garage- could be bad news

As in the posts on the above link it would be worthwhile checking downstream of the turbo in case one of the seals has gone.

Have you disconnected any of the pipework on the air intake side of things? Everything after the breather connection just before the turbo will normally have a slight film of oil on it, but if it's the turbo inlet seal, the pipework will be very oily after the turbo.
The exhaust seal is harder to diagnose 100% due to the difficulty in inspection, and unless the leak is bad, the oil will be burnt as it leaks. You could try running the engine on tickover for 10- 15 minutes then giving it a brisk drive. If you get clouds of blue / white smoke, then its the exhaust seal, although if it has a DPF this may not work, as the DPF should trap the smoke.

If that is OK then it could be the piston rings

As in the posts on the above link it would be worthwhile checking downstream of the turbo in case one of the seals has gone.

Have you disconnected any of the pipework on the air intake side of things? Everything after the breather connection just before the turbo will normally have a slight film of oil on it, but if it's the turbo inlet seal, the pipework will be very oily after the turbo.
The exhaust seal is harder to diagnose 100% due to the difficulty in inspection, and unless the leak is bad, the oil will be burnt as it leaks. You could try running the engine on tickover for 10- 15 minutes then giving it a brisk drive. If you get clouds of blue / white smoke, then its the exhaust seal, although if it has a DPF this may not work, as the DPF should trap the smoke.

If that is OK then it could be the piston rings
Thank you for info - we re waiting for final verdict from vw garage but grateful for your input - Welshman

You're welcome. Hope it's not too expensive.
If it is not the turbo, and the vehicle has been serviced by VW and they suggest it is piston rings etc: then I would suggest getting in contact with VWCS for a significant contribution to the repair as that would be considered a low mileage for such an engine and VW have had the problem with 2010 engines in the past and are aware of the problem.

You're welcome. Hope it's not too expensive.
If it is not the turbo, and the vehicle has been serviced by VW and they suggest it is piston rings etc: then I would suggest getting in contact with VWCS for a significant contribution to the repair as that would be considered a low mileage for such an engine and VW have had the problem with 2010 engines in the past and are aware of the problem.
We certainly will and thanks again - Cymru am byth ! We re certainly better prepared now with your helpful replies

Back