Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Usb sockets

Lights

Lights

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi all, does anyone know if its possible to install usb sockets in the overhead centre console.
It Would be for dash cam/ sat nav
Many thanks

20210704_071822.jpg

Do you have a USB socket in the glovebox? Wouldn't be easier to simply plug in an adapter here?

Hi all, does anyone know if its possible to install usb sockets in the overhead centre console.
It Would be for dash cam/ sat nav
Many thanks

View attachment 80994
It’s easy to run a dedicated feed from the fuse box in the centre console, just use a piggy back fuse to something that is only live when the ignition is on (ie heating/ ventilation).

A-pillar cover is easy to remove. If you google it you will find a step by step procedure…will take about 30mins to install.

It’s easy to run a dedicated feed from the fuse box in the centre console, just use a piggy back fuse to something that is only live when the ignition is on (ie heating/ ventilation).

A-pillar cover is easy to remove. If you google it you will find a step by step procedure…will take about 30mins to install.

Many thanks

This would still have cables dangling in front of the windscreen
Not if you route the cables inside the dash and tucked under the trim covers.

This is exactly what I have done.

I'll take a couple of photos later and send over.

I did not want to have the camera/satnav draining the engine battery, but still wanted some control over when the dashcam is active.....in some parking spaces I deliberately leave the camera active if there is a risk that the Cali might get knocked.

The photos will make it clear.

Not if you route the cables inside the dash and tucked under the trim covers.

This is exactly what I have done.

I'll take a couple of photos later and send over.

I did not want to have the camera/satnav draining the engine battery, but still wanted some control over when the dashcam is active.....in some parking spaces I deliberately leave the camera active if there is a risk that the Cali might get knocked.

The photos will make it clear.
Ok cheers, so a hard wire kit would probably do it. I was just thinking if a usb port/ports were installed it would be future proof i.e. mini usb micro usb etc

Ok cheers, so a hard wire kit would probably do it. I was just thinking if a usb port/ports were installed it would be future proof i.e. mini usb micro usb etc
Yes hardwire kit will work - you'll need 2 kits for the satnav plus dashcam.

The dilemma then is do you wire to a permanent battery supply - not recommended, or wire to a switched battery supply?

What I wanted was to use a permanent battery supply but be able to switch it on/off as required.

The satnav came with a cigarette style of plug with a built in USB that I use for the dashcam.

The satnav is automatically active when in the windscreen holder.

So simply plugging in the cigarette adapter activates both the satnav plus dash cam.

On the drive the cigarette adapter is unplugged and is stowed loose inside the small flapped glovebox beside the DSG stick.

If I park up then I remove the satnav but leave the cigarette adapter plugged in - hence the dashcam is active.

Does this make sense to you?

I get some photos now.

The dilemma then is do you wire to a permanent battery supply - not recommended, or wire to a switched battery supply?

What I wanted was to use a permanent battery supply but be able to switch it on/off as required.

The satnav came with a cigarette style of plug with a built in USB that I use for the dashcam.

So simply plugging in the cigarette adapter activates both the satnav plus dash cam.

On the drive the cigarette adapter is unplugged and is stowed loose inside the small flapped glovebox beside the DSG stick.

If I park up then I remove the satnav but leave the cigarette adapter plugged in - hence the dashcam is active.

I get some photos now.
Photos attached.

DSCF1273.JPG

DSCF1274.JPG

DSCF1275.JPG

DSCF1276.JPG

DSCF1277.JPG

DSCF1278.JPG

I get some photos now.
Yea i see exactly where your coming from. My cali doesn't have the cigarette adapter in the glove compartment, its in a pull out cup holder,but i get the concept.
This idea stems from the fact that the media unit ( kenwood) is no longer supported by garmin for map updates, so i have been using a stand alone nuvi so i can get lost on more updated roads. But i digress i have the dash cam and occasionally the sat nav plugged in and it looks tatty with all the wires hanging about.
So its time to take my dash back lol
Thanks to all for the suggestions and help

Yea i see exactly where your coming from. My cali doesn't have the cigarette adapter in the glove compartment, its in a pull out cup holder,but i get the concept.
This idea stems from the fact that the media unit ( kenwood) is no longer supported by garmin for map updates, so i have been using a stand alone nuvi so i can get lost on more updated roads. But i digress i have the dash cam and occasionally the sat nav plugged in and it looks tatty with all the wires hanging about.
So its time to take my dash back lol
Thanks to all for the suggestions and help
Hardwire kit from Dashboard fusebox, using piggyback fuse on Ignition Live. Wire along bottom of dash, up A pillar and across windscreen tucked into headliner, for Dashcam.
I have a 12v socket on top of Dashboard. 12v digital voltmeter with 2 USB ports with short leads to run MiFi and GoPro camera, or SatNav in your case. This socket runs off Leisure Batteries.

IMG_20210704_135925.jpg

Back