Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Underbody protection

Martin Randall

Martin Randall

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We live in a very salty coastal environment so I'm wondering about underbody protection for our expected-in-October Ocean. There doesn't seem to be a recent thread on this topic (that I can find) so wonder what's the wisdom out there. I've had previous vehicles treated with Waxoyl but given our remote Scottish location that's not looking like an option. Basically - is it worth bothering with?

We live in a very salty coastal environment so I'm wondering about underbody protection for our expected-in-October Ocean. There doesn't seem to be a recent thread on this topic (that I can find) so wonder what's the wisdom out there. I've had previous vehicles treated with Waxoyl but given our remote Scottish location that's not looking like an option. Basically - is it worth bothering with?
Hi Martin ,the same thoughts crossed my mind as I sometimes launch a small boat into sea lochs but the wax the factory has applied to the areas that are exposed is quite good ,not sure what its like under the plastic underbody protection but the wax was probably applied before the plastic protection was fitted so should be good.

if I was to apply more wax I would go for dinitrol you can buy a kit really and it’s easy to use ,all in cans with long tube nozzle.

Hi Martin ,the same thoughts crossed my mind as I sometimes launch a small boat into sea lochs but the wax the factory has applied to the areas that are exposed is quite good ,not sure what its like under the plastic underbody protection but the wax was probably applied before the plastic protection was fitted so should be good.

if I was to apply more wax I would go for dinitrol you can buy a kit really and it’s easy to use ,all in cans with long tube nozzle.
T5/T6 bodies are galvanised, whilst not absolute proof against corrosion they are holding up pretty well. Lots of the add on stuff such as the spare wheel/carrier and of course exhaust system are vulnerable.

Hi Martin, I am in a similar situation, van parked at home about 100m from the sea. I assumed that the factory applied corrosion protection would be enough but at the second annual service I had to have the rear discs replaced due to corrosion and advised that the underside was starting to rust. The vans are not undersealed as such as the galvanising and protective plastic covers are sufficient in most inland locations. I have now come to realise just how corrosive sea air is on all metal around our house, galvanised or not. So after the second service I had my dealer underseal my van at a cost of £350. Most of that was labour as the materials are fairly cheap but lots of work taking of covers and bits then cleaning off existing loose rust and dirt. A 2-day job to allow drying in between but I was given a courtesy van from Snows in Plymouth. I have ordered a new Ocean (due at end of year) and have asked dealer to underseal it before I collect. To prolong the life of the discs I now park in the shelter of the house if strong westerly wind is forecast and I now wash it more often than I did (I was lazy with that) especially after storms or when I see sea foam blowing past my window. So take heed of my mistakes. I wanted to keep my 2018 Ocean Special Edition much longer as we really love it but I can see that it will have a longer life expectancy if it now goes to a new owner who doesn't live on the coast. Hope this helps you come to a decision on additional protection from salt air.

Try the search function as there was a thread some time ago that detailed a long term test on identical mild steel bare metal samples which had been treated with various wax protection products and then exposed to salt water spray for a prolonged period of time. The samples were checked at regular intervals and compared. From memory the Bilt Hamber product came out on top.

You could also try Youtube.

I've always found Waxoyl to be ok but no where near as long lasting as Dinitrol products. I've yet to try the Bilt Hamber wax protection. As has been mentioned the body shell is galvanised so its everything else that's usually painted black, that needs attention: springs, suspension. ARBs, spare wheel, spare wheel carrier, engine sub frame etc etc. Don't spray the exhaust or parking heater and stick a plastic bag over the brake discs and calipers before giving the back plates etc a good spray. In short do everything including the body shell and be prepared to inspect and touch up once a year.

Here it is, the discussion was about Lanoguard

edit: this has not got the laboratory test @Borris references above, I thought it did tried searching further but cannot see the actual thread.

edit:

here it is I believe post #6

Last edited:
Whilst sea salt isn't a problem for me, road salt is. When i wash my cars during road salt season, I made a small device to wash the underside. Just a flat piece of timber with a reciprocating garden sprinkler fastened. So i just connect up the hose and spray, adjusting the position for the length of the vehicle.