Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toppers

Dave&Nicola

Dave&Nicola

VIP Member
Need to purchase a topper for the winter months. What is the best one to get as don't want to make any expensive mistakes?

brandrup isotop

warm, breathable, always fitted. Not cheap but no need to get out in the rain to fit it.

There are many different views on this issue.... But most of the toppers - including Brandrup Isotop - lack any real insulation.
I believe that a kind of 5+ mm thermal foil does the job - also protecting from wind, snow, rain. And setup is very easy and quick.
Look at Pucer screens, but DIY option would cost you less than 100 GBP - an easy job, no need for complicated work, it can be easily done from one piece after understanding that the shape of the canvas consists from 4 symmetrical quarters.... more photos below.
For the freezing temperatures also thermal foils for the front windows are essential - can be done from the same material as roof topper.

1559712_10151898175577339_630633372_n.jpg 1558576_10151898175637339_115217147_n.jpg 1661582_10151974786887339_2100297301_n (2).jpg 1557532_10151898174777339_1508719242_n.jpg

Is that 5mm foil sheeting available at B&Q or Homebase type places?
Does it have a brand name or other description?

How does it fair with condensation ?

How do you secure it?

Looks like a great bit of DIY for extreme weather

Tony

I use a 6 mm variation of this foil: http://www.superfoil.co.uk/sfba/
A topper and original canvas make a "double wall tent construction", a standard solution in outdoor industry. A possible condensation collects on the inner side of the outside foil, while inner canvas inside stays completely dry. So, no condensation issues.
A temperature in the pop-up roof is only few degrees lower than downstairs with the heating on - tested down to -12C/10F.
There is a toasty sleeping for most winter nights, enjoying my up to 10 days long ski & winter mountaineering holidays in the Alps.

I made a topper a little bit oversized, resulting in a tight fit for self securing. I've added a heavy duty 3M outdoor velcro self-adhesive tapes for a final touch:

1527049_10151898175067339_1136762229_n.jpg

Very Neat job.
Thanks for posting that certainly an option for some hard core winter camping.

Hi bvirc - up in Scotland here. Just spent Sat. overnight in Glencoe on hookup in ski carpark. No topper and about -4 I think. Still was ok ....electric blankets saved the day/night. Got some bubble insulation from HBase to cover screen that worked well. Thinking of making one of these wraparound things.

The dimensions on that sketch would be really helpful - even for sourcing materials. The link to superfoil suggests that the 6mm rolls only come in 1.2m width .....
is that enough to cover the front (tall bit) of the pop up?
Any idea how long the whole thing is (in terms of required roll length)?
Thought about these guys ........http://www.proudtopop.co.uk/camper/T25-Reimo-Rear-Hinge-Pop-Top-Campervan-Insulators-P2P651X.html - ill decide when I work out materials cost plus hassle.

Cheers Zebopp

frederico said:
brandrup isotop

warm, breathable, always fitted. Not cheap but no need to get out in the rain to fit it.

I bought a Vanorak a few years ago. Only ever used it twice; it works well but a real pain to pack away in the rain on a muddy field.

We just wind the roof down now to keep the cold out once we've finished cooking!

Wish I'd spent the money on something like the Brandrup which stays attached....

Colin

Who stocks the Brandrup Isotop 2 ? -

did a google and the only result was a VW accessory site that did not stock ...

al.

I think they're sold through VW dealers but you can get 10% off if you use the club sponsor (I think)

Colin

@Zebopp - thanks for your interest... I don't have any dimensions written down, but my sketch gives you a basic idea and definitely spares some cutting and bonding as some other guys do.
The offer from your link looks reasonably, so go for it if you are not ready for DIY - even material is not cheap. One roll is ok, 1,2 m width is more than enough.

With the foil fitted on pop-up roof you are ready for some serious cold down to -15C, but beyond that other problems appeared, including frozen windows, ice accumulating on the inner walls in cupboards, frozen cap of fresh water tank, frozen drain of grey water tank, diesel problems, etc...

Enjoy your winter as we do here in the Alps!

Interesting discussion, we have just returned from two nights (sun/mon) at Glencoe think minus 7 was about as cold as we got in the two days.
We used our recently purchased a Comfortz roofless topper, mainly for protection against snow / rain but it also provides a second skin as you would have in a tent which does provide some insulation, no condensation on the inside of the pop up as we would normally find if we do not use it.

We did opt for a hook up which is not what we usually do, glad we did as we were able to keep the electric heater on at a peep overnight, this kept us warm and the water in the sink supply working but only if you keep the cupboards open to allow some heat to the pipework. The waste water outlet froze, not the tank but the outlet point, for some reason the sink would not empty due to an airlock somewhere.
I think I will investigate routing of the water and waste pipes to see if these can be lagged in any way, must help a bit.
Next time we go wild camping in such cold conditions without a hook up think I will just empty the tanks as recommended. With the hook we just left the electric heater on all the time to keep the van temperature well above freezing. Good winter sleeping bags are the answer to keeping warm in bed, without them you will need a hook up!

P1190210a.jpg

We have just spent 10 days ski touring Austrian Alps, wild camping all the times with no hook up at all and with constant freezing temperatures down to -17C.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152624355392339&type=1&l=9fd47272cf
I don't really understand why not using Cali's parking heater - it works really well with no noticeable fuel consumption. With insulation foils mounted it feels snug and toasty both downstairs and upstairs (a few degrees C less than downstairs) - using just ordinary duvet, no winter sleeping bags.

I am still not sure if keeping a grey waste tank open is the best option... Due to low water flow a drain simply frozen on a second night. Maybe it is better to leave it closed and open when it's full - a drain is obviously the most problematic point to freeze.

It is a huge difference beyond cca. -5C when a lot of small problems appear including ice accumulating on many spots, door seals, etc.

bvirc said:
We have just spent 10 days ski touring Austrian Alps, wild camping all the times with no hook up at all and with constant freezing temperatures down to -17C.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152624355392339&type=1&l=9fd47272cf
I don't really understand why not using Cali's parking heater - it works really well with no noticeable fuel consumption. With insulation foils mounted it feels snug and toasty both downstairs and upstairs (a few degrees C less than downstairs) - using just ordinary duvet, no winter sleeping bags.

I am still not sure if keeping a grey waste tank open is the best option... Due to low water flow a drain simply frozen on a second night. Maybe it is better to leave it closed and open when it's full - a drain is obviously the most problematic point to freeze.

It is a huge difference beyond cca. -5C when a lot of small problems appear including ice accumulating on many spots, door seals, etc.

Van heater is very effective but I was concerned about the batteries ability to sustain that sort of use over a number of days, how many days can you use the van heater without needing to recharge by taking it for a run? I think grey waste closed is probably best only opening when say half full.

We can easily stay on the same spot with a parking heater on most of the time + using a fridge and inner lights for 3 to even 4 days, no problem.
But it helps that you are hooked-on for at least 8 hours before going to a trip, considering that alternator only can not fully charge the batteries.

bvirc said:
We can easily stay on the same spot with a parking heater on most of the time + using a fridge and inner lights for 3 to even 4 days, no problem.
But it helps that you are hooked-on for at least 8 hours before going to a trip, considering that alternator only can not fully charge the batteries.

Thanks will try un hooked next time. Two more questions for you, what do you do for water? do you drain the tank and use bottled? and when wild camping do what toilet arrangements do you use, we take our porta-potty but not sure what min temperature the liquids can sustain?

With cupboards open and the parking heater on most of the time, we use the fresh water tank and Portapotti 335, no problems so far even in constant exposure to outside temperatures around -15C.
For extensive winter use I would suggest to replace butane filled Campingaz 907 with an ALU propane filled bottle instead - propane is much more effective in low temperatures. In this case, also a safety valve needs to be replaced (it is a standard setup for Calis sold in Norway, I think).
And keep side slide windows and a fresh water outside cap dry - it can easily freeze, causing some unpleasant problems.

bvirc said:
With cupboards open and the parking heater on most of the time, we use the fresh water tank and Portapotti 335, no problems so far even in constant exposure to outside temperatures around -15C.
For extensive winter use I would suggest to replace butane filled Campingaz 907 with an ALU propane filled bottle instead - propane is much more effective in low temperatures. In this case, also a safety valve needs to be replaced (it is a standard setup for Calis sold in Norway, I think).
And keep side slide windows and a fresh water outside cap dry - it can easily freeze, causing some unpleasant problems.
Thanks, this is our first winter with our van so lots to learn.

sbmcd - we must have just missed you at Glencoe by a few hours - we were on H/U no 7 - . We only have a Beach (yellow 2014 p heater) so no problems with water pipes. been thinking about Glenshee overnight at a weekend sometime but I think id need to be pretty confident that the insulation wrap thing works before trying that pitch - given the limited (non-bookable) hookups. Have you tried Glenshee?

I put together a home made insulating topper after the last thread along these lines. I normally feed it behind the lifting mechanism to help it stay in place - I think this is what bvric is doing judging by the photos.

So, the main advantage I see to a Cali topper, either in addition to insulation or on its own is that it will stop snow/ice build up on the mechanism since it sits over the top of the whole lot.

Have -15C temps not had an effect on raising/lowering?

sbmcd - we must have just missed you at Glencoe by a few hours - we were on H/U no 7 - . We only have a Beach (yellow 2014 p heater) so no problems with water pipes. been thinking about Glenshee overnight at a weekend sometime but I think id need to be pretty confident that the insulation wrap thing works before trying that pitch - given the limited (non-bookable) hookups. Have you tried Glenshee?

We moved into H/U no 7 when we arrived! have not had an overnight at Glenshee yet, not quite as appealing as Glencoe which has showers, toilets and bar / food. Snow fall looking good this week providing the wind does not blow it all away, hope to get skiing as soon as the wind drops. Tend to avoid weekends if we can too much time spent in queues, only go then if the weather is exceptional. Glenshee is looking a bit sad on the webcams after the thaw at the weekend, hopefully that will have improved.

These are from Monday at Glencoe, fantastic conditions:

P1190212.JPG

P1190218.JPG

Hi alstevens we got our isotop 2 from (link)
email (link) cost 400 euros posted to uk :thumb

Hi Mucksmuff, that link shows the isotope 3 at 498 euros, is there a difference?

(BTW any one know where is the euro key on a Macbook?)

Colin

On my Mac Book it is alt 2 which is also the + key.
Alan