Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top 10 (quirky) reasons our next VW campervan will be another VW California

Trail Planner

Trail Planner

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Sitting with a beer in hand, looking at a nice Hymer opposite - why our next van will be another VW California.

What are your reasons for buying a VW California vs the larger campervan options?

IMG_20200903_160641.jpg

Sitting with a beer in hand, looking at a nice Hymer opposite - why our next van will be another VW California.

What are your reasons for buying a VW California vs the larger campervan options?

View attachment 83603
Its my every day runner too.

View attachment 83603
Thanks, had a good read of your WAW & NC500 trips as well, some great info in there - will hopefully be tackling both of those over the next couple of years.

View attachment 83603

Having just gone the other way, and awaiting another California as well, my answers.

1: My hymer has a nice big side door, and an insect screen to pull across it. The times I've sat in my Cali with door open and insects swarming around. Lovely keeping the door open in the hymer with an insect screen.

2: I used to love that in my Cali but can honestly say no different in the Hymer, especially with dimmable strip lights. In fact I love the blinds in the hymer, warm, mottled autumn colours instead of cold, drab grey.

3: not applicable.

4: I have windows on three sides when eating and with the folding table both captains chairs can share the table.

5: I like the extra space. I especially love the fixed bed with a very comfortable mattress on a Froli sprung base. In fact I really like sleeping in that bed and when necessary get up, go to the loo without having to squeeze between bed and 335, wash my hands with running hot water, make a cup of tea without trying to tunnel underneath the bed,, sit at the table and have my toast in the morning without pushing the bed back etc.

6: My Hymer can fit into a conventional car park space. It is no longer than a LWB transporter. but yes, yes, yes: The inability to limbo under height barriers really swings things towards a Cali, and compared to the fiat Ducato the transporter is very much more nimble footed. However I am loving not having to elevate a roof to be able to stand up, not worrying about adverse weather, horizontal rain or unwanted draughts and not having to listen to intrusive road noise when parked up.

7: Not applicable ... yet.

8: Definitely. The Cali is so much nicer to drive, however, compared to the T5 and T6 I much prefer the suspension on the Ducato. It seems more beefed up and more fit for purpose.

9: Yes. I'm getting 33 mpg on my new engine 180 psi Ducato where my well worn in T6 would return around 38 on similar trips.

10: The reason why I will always try to have a Cali in the drive :)

Last edited:
Breakfast in Bed - quite a challenge in a Cali! Very interesting @GrannyJen. I was thinking more of the Hymer's w/out the side door. I did see a nice 4x4 Hymer, which was epic.

Breakfast in Bed - quite a challenge in a Cali! Very interesting @GrannyJen. I was thinking more of the Hymer's w/out the side door. I did see a nice 4x4 Hymer, which was epic.

I've looked at a few "motorhomes" (mine is a campervan) and I agree with you, the caravan type door into the living accommodation is not nice. The joy of a Cali, or camper van, is to wake up with glorious vista's and mostly different from yesterdays. My bed has 4 windows on three sides, all at eye level when waking up, and a roofltight directly above. Anything else I would find claustrophobic.

Nice set of quirky reasons. All of them at one time or another I've used to justify my vans. The California is an exceptional vehicle, as I described it elsewhere, My Campervan tries very hard to be a motorhome, the Cali tries very hard to be a limo. I do miss it.