Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

I always forget that if you feather the indicator stalk (rather than full click) it gives you enough flashes for a lane change without needing to cancel the indicator.

This is programmable via your dealer or VCDS/VAGCOM for between 0 and 4 flashes. I have set mine to 4.

I often find others seem to think either a quick flash and equally quick lane change, or lane change with indication as an afterthought :headbang is sufficient. I disagree. As for those who don't even indicate... :mute

:headbang:headbang
Last Saturday whilst cleaning the interior after 18 months of ownership and purely by chance I came across a small window above the fridge which I never knew existed
The plastic trim covering it slid into the wardrobe as I leaned over to look in the fridge
No I'm not making it up and yes , I know I know

Last Saturday whilst cleaning the interior after 18 months of ownership and purely by chance I came across a small window above the fridge which I never knew existed
The plastic trim covering it slid into the wardrobe as I leaned over to look in the fridge
Look inside the wardrobe and you might find a door ... into another world ...

.... no, actually you might have a safe in the bottom of it, worth a look :D

After buying my Cali used from a dealer I rang them a couple of days later saying there was no blind on the said window. They ordered one in and I drove in when it arrived to get it fitted.
Imagine the amusement of the mechanic ........... :rolleyes:
Fortunately, they were happy to keep the replacement on the shelf for real needs.
(They went out of business shortly afterward iirc)

Oh...the Cali life...!

Ans the pleasures we have....

Disagree?
Why, do you think my board is shorter?
Or does it need a photo?

I think it's because you said 11" which is 11 inches not 11' which would be 11 foot.
The rest of us were too polite to point out your error.

You can also lock using the switch on the drivers door, then leave as normal via the sliding door; it unlocks to open and it locks again automatically when closed. Alarm is not activated.

I know this because whilst camping I jumped outside to grab an escaping Westie, I then watched in slo-mo horror as the door slid closed and locked with that lovely whirr. One call to the AA and about an hour later and I was back in! Just as well I didn't leave the kettle on.
My 15 plate doesnt do this otherwise \i'd have spent alot of time outside scantily clad at night after nipping out for a pee!

I've just found out (after 4 years) that if I turn the key in the drivers side lock both windows come down!

It took me ages to work out the instructions on the wind-out awning. I thought it was saying that you could only wind it out a little way. So we got wet. Often. Then I realised after seeing another Cali with the awning fully extended that you can only wind it out a little way to begin with and then reposition the legs and wind it out the whole way. ah. that's better. still not used it in a fierce wind though...

I didn't know my cali was hiding 35 horses from me. After VW motor optimization (tuning) I went from 140 to 175HP and it added a very decent 100nm torque :D It drives like magic now.
I have the same experience with my previous transporter : went from 103HP to 130HP, I wonder if it can be done with the 150HP 4motion manual I recently bought. Because it is now so computer controlled, not sure if it is wise to tune any further.

I have the same experience with my previous transporter : went from 103HP to 130HP, I wonder if it can be done with the 150HP 4motion manual I recently bought. Because it is now so computer controlled, not sure if it is wise to tune any further.
Oooh, let us know if you try that!

I don't want to mess with my warranty (not even getting the van for another month!) but I am keen to see how much more the 150ps is capable of.

Oooh, let us know if you try that!

I don't want to mess with my warranty (not even getting the van for another month!) but I am keen to see how much more the 150ps is capable of.
chip tuners advertise it is safe to add between 20 and 30% power. I wait till the cali has at least 3000 mileage however. My VW garage owner never noticed it was chiptuned in the past. But as i said before the cali is so intelligent I hesitate..

According to the manual of my T6 ocean the 'light and sight' option has a travel modus to adapt the headlights to driving on the wrong side of the road ( for many(most) of you the right side, for me that is the left side). I have not tried it yet (the option and driving on the wrong side of the road ;)) .

I have discovered that the lovely shiny black paintwork only stays clean until you next blink!

Same goes for the metallic night blue .......fabulously clean and shiny for five minutes lol
Wouldn't change tho....love the sparkle effect

Same goes for the metallic night blue .......fabulously clean and shiny for five minutes lol
Wouldn't change tho....love the sparkle effect
Yes, the night blue does look really lovely.
As ours was an ex demo with every extra we had wanted and more, it was only the colour that we weren't keen on. It's grown on us since but it will be plain crisp Candy white next time me thinks.

You can also lock using the switch on the drivers door, then leave as normal via the sliding door; it unlocks to open and it locks again automatically when closed. Alarm is not activated.

I know this because whilst camping I jumped outside to grab an escaping Westie, I then watched in slo-mo horror as the door slid closed and locked with that lovely whirr. One call to the AA and about an hour later and I was back in! Just as well I didn't leave the kettle on.
Hi Andy,
This happened to me, but it is not designed to do it, it is a fault. My van was at the dealers a few weeks

Hi Andy, I realise this post was a long time ago and I guess you now know this is not as designed but a fault. This happened to me, please see https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/misbehaving-central-locking-system.15619/
and as you will have read has got worse. My Van was in the dealers for 2 days last month but they couldn't find anything wrong and I asked them to contact Volkswagen who have asked for tests to be done on the electrical system and results sent to them in Germany. So the van was in yesterday and today. They of course say they have never heard of this before. Couple of questions I'd really appreciate you answering,
1. Has it happened again to you?
2. Have you reported it to the dealer.

Thanks

Glyn

Not sure about it being a fault @Glyn I read (somewhere!) that this kind of behaviour was a dealer-programmable option, so at the next visit I asked them to change the operation, which they did and it's been as I wanted, ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have found on a recent trip the POI on my RNS315 is pretty amazing. Places we couldn't find based on village name were instantly flagged up by the POI search, beaches, tourist attractions and such are plentiful.

Largely unused until now, we use it regularly after last week.

Not sure about it being a fault @Glyn I read (somewhere!) that this kind of behaviour was a dealer-programmable option, so at the next visit I asked them to change the operation, which they did and it's been as I wanted, ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the quick reply. I have been to the dealers to pick the van up and mentioned what you said to them as they have not been able to pinpoint the cause of the door locking without pressing the fob and so the problem still exists.. They say it's not a programmable option, to which I mentioned the problem has not recurred for you after an option was changed. Then had a circular debate with the dealer which was going nowhere so I am going to call Volkswagen Customer Care and see what they have to say. t may sound like it but I'm actually not complaining about the dealer as they have been great since I bought the van.
Once again thanks for your help.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been to the dealers to pick the van up and mentioned what you said to them as they have not been able to pinpoint the cause of the door locking without pressing the fob and so the problem still exists..

Ok sounds like mine was a different thing. The van was locked (using C/L button from the inside) and I opened the door which then slid to and locked. So it never happened unless the van was already locked and the sliding door had been opened from the inside and then closed.

I have found on a recent trip the POI on my RNS315 is pretty amazing. Places we couldn't find based on village name were instantly flagged up by the POI search, beaches, tourist attractions and such are plentiful.

Largely unused until now, we use it regularly after last week.
Good to know MattBW as we've just purchased an RNS315!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back