Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

I only found out in January that my vehicle had a dipstick ....

and NO! I don't mean the driver :shocked

In the good old days of 10k or 12k service intervals I never needed to check the oil. I then found out that after 16k it might be a good idea to as it prevents a red light coming on :oops:

How does the Hill Hold assist work. I've never noticed it, is there a way to get it to kick in?

How does the Hill Hold assist work. I've never noticed it, is there a way to get it to kick in?
It works automatically when you stop on a hill (or should do). After a couple of seconds though, it releases. First time I noticed it I thought the brakes were binding :D

Just try it on an incline, as you take your foot off the brake and you start to release the clutch it will just hold the Cali so you don't roll back - but only for a second or two! Works well.

beat me to it!

I'd never seen these buttons (between the map reading lights) until just now :confused:

1057.jpg

This is what they do:-

1058.jpg

Don't know how I've managed without them until now :D

I don't know how I'm going to cope, they are missing from my van:sad

Something I discovered the other day but not sure if its right. Always a little bit vexed by having to lean over and lock all doors by switching the switch on the drivers arm rest before retiring to bed. I tried it doing it with the car keys and surprise surprise the alarms all went off. I have now found a little switch inside the drivers door pillar and I THINK ?? that if I switch this off it deactivates the movement sensor so I can lock internally by my keys (from bed) Hope this works?

Something I discovered the other day but not sure if its right. Always a little bit vexed by having to lean over and lock all doors by switching the switch on the drivers arm rest before retiring to bed. I tried it doing it with the car keys and surprise surprise the alarms all went off. I have now found a little switch inside the drivers door pillar and I THINK ?? that if I switch this off it deactivates the movement sensor so I can lock internally by my keys (from bed) Hope this works?

Your method will work - it disables the motion sensors (so it is worth pressing this if you leave the van unattended on a ferry or on site with the roof up)

However it is still best to lock the van at night from the drivers door switch as this locks all the doors, but doesn't set the alarm (at all rather than just disabling the motion sensors) and doesn't deadlock.

If you need to get out in a hurry I would prefer not to have the deadlock set, as if you can't find the keys then you are locked in.

I think if you press the lock button on the keys twice then it will lock the doors without deadlock, but will you always remember to do this?

I think this is the rules:

Key Fob:
1 Tap on Lock = All Doors Locked, Deadlock On, Volumetric Sensors On
2 Tap on Lock = All Doors Locked, Deadlock Off, Volumetric Sensors On

(this is the opposite to some other manufacturers - e.g. vauxhall)

This is also why VW's always say "Check Safelock" on the MFD when you take the ignition keys out.

Door Pillar Button: Volumetric sensors will be switched off but the door locks and deadlocks will apply as above.

Door switch (near mirror controls) - locks the doors (and that is all :) )

Tony

"teeboy", are you sure that 2 presses on the remote lock button Disables the Deadlock BUT leaves the Volumetric sensors ON.
I cannot see the rational for that as the vehicle alarm would still sound if a passenger or dog was still in the vehicle.

Sorry but I'm still very confused, and would really appreciate clarification.

If I leave my van on site with the roof up, and want to disable the motion sensor (to stop alarm going off) but lock the van - what exactly do I have to do?

Is it press the switch on the driver pillar, close the driver door, and then lock with the key fob with one click.

Thanks.

For extra clarity when you press the button on the B pillar, it should light orange. Which means disabled. It is normally red. This is also counterintuitive IMHO.

Crumbs! Himself is so excited he's just grabbed the keys and Nipped out to see if we have them too :D
Apparently not :( :sorry
At least you haven't paid for something you'll never use :D

You can also lock using the switch on the drivers door, then leave as normal via the sliding door; it unlocks to open and it locks again automatically when closed. Alarm is not activated.

I know this because whilst camping I jumped outside to grab an escaping Westie, I then watched in slo-mo horror as the door slid closed and locked with that lovely whirr. One call to the AA and about an hour later and I was back in! Just as well I didn't leave the kettle on.

Thanks for the clarifications. It does seem to be the most confusing part of the manual.

You can also lock using the switch on the drivers door, then leave as normal via the sliding door; it unlocks to open and it locks again automatically when closed. Alarm is not activated.
On my LHD 2013 Cali (no alarm) then if I lock via the switch on the driver's door, then open the sliding door (2 pulls on the handle) then the sliding door does NOT lock automatically on closing.
But we ALWAYS each have a remote key attached to our trousers just in case...

I've just found that my 11" SUP FITS in the van and I can still drive it. Another bonus if it being LHD.
Happy Mike.

Whats a 11" SUP ??

Ha ha. It's an 11 foot stand up paddle board.
Sup, for short.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dom
Back