Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

Love it all.

Just driven back 300 miles and was contemplating our soon to be trip to France, and what I need to change the glare of the lights.

Does anyone know what the light switches (rollers) are to the right of the steering wheel, on the dashboard? I know one will change the angle of the lights vertically, but what does the other one do?

(I'll admit I started carrying round the instruction manual when I first got the Cali but have not read it all and then misplaced it?

Cheers
Mark

The other one dims the instrument lights

My manual lives under the drivers seat.

We use VW headlight protectors which come with beam converters for the EU.

MichaelB said:
The other one dims the instrument lights

Thank you.... something I did not know and will help me massively when driving at night.... :grin:

A few weeks ago I noticed the table had a useless levelling foot on one leg.

Last week, I noticed there are two fold out hooks, these would have been really useful while we were away this year! :headwall

Do you know what the hooks are for :?:

I think the hooks slot into the chanel used by the sliding interior table to make it more secure if you use it 'indoors' as it were.

Spot on. Did you also know that the new 2012 does not have these hooks on the table :rofl :rofl

I noticed from our trip this week, that when the cruise control is on, the 'set' cruising speed is displayed in different sizes when the cruise is on and when it's paused!

When it's on, the set speed is displayed in the bottom of the display in large numbers, when you pause the cruise control the displayed numbers reduce in size until you engage it again when they go back to being bigger again :lol:

When turning the ignition key, you can turn it right round to the "start the engine" position and let go of the key, without waiting for the diesel coil icon by the speedo to go out. There will then likely be a delay whilst the Cali's clever computer decides if the coil is warm enough to go before it starts the engine for you. Isn't that delightful? :)

Mine is on a rescue mission now. :lol:

The home fridge went dead 3 days ago and all food from freezer (a few kilos) was moved in emergency to Cali's coolbox. Temperature set to -14, and until now all is frozen very well, whilst waiting for delivery of the new fridge. Baterries survive very well, only occasional driving charge them well.

On the Westy T4 California's, the tap is on a hose. You can get a sucker attachment and use it as an outside shower.

It took me a year to realise that the tap end could be stood up in the hose hole by the sink and used like a normal tap.

I always forget that if you feather the indicator stalk (rather than full click) it gives you enough flashes for a lane change without needing to cancel the indicator.

Probably this is nothing new for majority of users: the "REST" button on the climatronic makes the interior being warmed from the heat of the engine for 30 minutes after the engine is shutted down.
Well, the person who I bought the van from, he have had the Cali for 3 years and he did not know what the function is for, he tried to activate it several times whilst driving but nothing was happening :mrgreen:

danny13 said:
I always forget that if you feather the indicator stalk (rather than full click) it gives you enough flashes for a lane change without needing to cancel the indicator.

Yes, a wonderful thing but when you're fully trained up on it and it becomes an automatic response and you transfer to your wife's beemer it causes havoc!
HNY all.

My X5 had that but you could enable/disable it via the iDrive console. Maybe it is switched off?
- Nick

Came up to a T Junction today that was very steep. We stopped and I thought oh Noooo :eek: its going to do that Engine stop thing. But no it must have worked out we were on a steep incline and kept running. :thumb

Last edited:
Came up to a T Junction today that was very steep. We stopped and I thought oh Noooo :eek: its going to do that Engine stop thing. But no it must have worked out we were on a steep incline and kept running. :thumb

My top tip with the Start/Stop thingy is if you do not want it to activate, just brake normally and then when you have almost stopped just take your foot off the brake slightly until it is just holding - the Start/Stop will not kick in.

Also, if the engine has stopped and you want it to start without having to move off / de-activate it with the button, again just lift your foot off the brake a little - the engine will kick back in.

Might take a little practice but very useful!

It should have hill start assist so will hold the brakes on for a second until it feels the clutch bite.

I didn't know my cali was hiding 35 horses from me. After VW motor optimization (tuning) I went from 140 to 175HP and it added a very decent 100nm torque :D It drives like magic now.

After going outside yesterday morning to find both front windows wound down and rain coming into the Cali I found out that holding the unlock button down on the key fob, not only unlocks the doors, but eventually winds the windows down! :headbang I must have pressed it accidentally while the fob was in my pocket.

Luckily everything dried out OK and so no harm done. Lesson learned.

When pressing the accelerator on a DSG, there is an extra inch of travel which activates kick down. Unless you press really hard you may not realise it is there; I had quite a few miles on the clock before I found it.
(Maybe I should RTFM) :D

Back