Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

The catch will click louder if it's located properly. Try it :thumb there is a very noticeable difference. You just learn to give it a little push when closing.

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
The catch will click louder if it's located properly. Try it :thumb there is a very noticeable difference. You just learn to give it a little push when closing.
Thanks for that...

I found out by accident that when the van is locked if you press and hold the key fob to unlock the van both front windows open.

And the same when you lock, you can close the windows :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
And the same when you lock, you can close the windows :thumb
I knew about closing the windows when locking but hadn't heard about opening them with the remote. ( not sure if and when I'll use the feature but I'm glad I've got it)

Very handy when it's hot, on arriving back to your Cali open the windows to let some cooler air in.

Having now had the cali nearly 6 months only found out last week that the picnic table has an adjustable leg doh ! :headwall

dave and lisa
just back from europe :sad

inthemidnighthour said:
Having now had the cali nearly 6 months only found out last week that the picnic table has an adjustable leg doh ! :headwall

dave and lisa
just back from europe :sad

I only found this out a couple of weeks ago, but I've only had my Cali for 2 months.

Do you have one or two adjusters, I thought I had one missing?

We thought we might have an adjuster missing cos it looks like there should be two, but on closer inspection the leg which we thought should have had an adjuster in it isn't threaded....so one is correct..... :crazy

Dave and Lisa

inthemidnighthour said:
We thought we might have an adjuster missing cos it looks like there should be two, but on closer inspection the leg which we thought should have had an adjuster in it isn't threaded....so one is correct..... :crazy

Dave and Lisa

I thought I had one missing too even found something that looked like it might have fitted to convince myself that it should fit the 2nd leg, I did not replace it so never fully checked. I wonder what its from then... my mystery bits corner just keeps getting bigger.

Just the 1 leg adjuster unless they forgot on all the cali's ;)

Definitely just the one adjuster. However one of the legs can be pulled slightly for placing it on a slope.

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:

Ours just seemed to fix itself!

I didn't know our camper made it up our steep LH turn driveway in one go. My wife apparently thought it did.

The large gouge we've just had repaired suggests I may have been right.... :headwall :lol: :lol:

KernowLad said:
I didn't know our camper made it up our steep LH turn driveway in one go. My wife apparently thought it did.

The large gouge we've just had repaired suggests I may have been right.... :headwall :lol: :lol:

I wish there was a 'like' button :thumb

I did not know that every where i went I would be picking up new toys to fill it with....

:thumb

I didn't even know hill start assist existed - never mind that my van had it.

I noticed I never rolled back at all - like the brakes were sticking slightly - when starting off on steep hills. It turns out the van senses when you're about to pull away on a hill and holds the brakes for you so you don't need to use the handbrake to stop from rolling backwards.

Maybe this is common on newer vehicles but it was (pleasant) news to me!

:grin:

That's a good shout I thought it was an extra turns out my van has it as well :thumb :thumb

I think it's becoming common on many cars now, certainly in the VAG range.

My A4 has a similar, switchable, function called Hill Hold Assist. This is great for holding the car at junctions etc as well as on hills. The A4 has the electric handbrake which when I first tried it on a 3C Passat I didn't like but now I'm totally hooked. I love the ability to just drive off without having to touch a handbrake.

Stu said:
I think it's becoming common on many cars now, certainly in the VAG range.

My A4 has a similar, switchable, function called Hill Hold Assist. This is great for holding the car at junctions etc as well as on hills. The A4 has the electric handbrake which when I first tried it on a 3C Passat I didn't like but now I'm totally hooked. I love the ability to just drive off without having to touch a handbrake.

I've had hill hold on a few manual cars and it works well.

Can't stand electric handbrakes though. Although the ones that you don't touch when driving away are better, my dad has a new shape BMW X3 and you have to pull to release, combined with pressing the brake or clutch while using push button start, it's like a start up procedure for a plane.

Love my Calis proper hand brake, although an electric handbrake wouldn't get in the way of rotating the seat! :mrgreen:

I found out something new on my Cali this week, I can't level it side to side, because it's too low to get a ramp in front of the rear wheel! :rofl

Hill start aid is fitted on a lot of trucks now, a switch on the dash.

Paulro said:
Just found out today that I can fold in the mirrors electrically!
I've been doing it manually for 9 months.

Nice one paulro ..!! I love it when people admit little things like this and makes me chuckle ...:) lol

I sweated myself about 1 stonne lighter after finding out I had heated seats and turned them on by accident ..lol

Back