Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 to T6 advice

wilde1

wilde1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
After selling my much loved t5 with the full intention to make the transfer into a motorhome, I just can't do it!!! But now our 'florence' has gone after 3 years trouble free motoring it looks like a new T6 is the only way out of this nightmare lol (a good second hand one) I'm looking at a 150dsg ocean, (my t5 was a 180 manual) can anyone advise me on how the t6s compare against the t5s and how do the 150s perform, a California is the only way forward

We moved from 2012 -180 T5 SE to 150 T6 Ocean. I do not notice and loss of power.

How do you find the vehicle overall from the t5, any major changes ?

Just to add to Andy's linked review.
The kitchen lights on an MY18 are a nice addition both inside the cupboard and the the strip under the hinged tops. Then there is the tops them selves which are split into 3 pieces now.
Upgrading to a 6.33" media screen and adding app connect has been very useful to me. Sat Nav works well from my iphone that way (displayed on media screen) and siri voice commands are pretty good too especially at voice controlled dialling. Differs from apple to android etc.
The comfort dash is more car like than ever before. they throw in a couple of towel rails that are a nice touch along with a rear drinks holder, wardrobe lights.
auto lights and wipers are now standard and there are a few new options. Heated front screen take your fancy?

The T6 is a nicer van all round. Runs quieter than the T5 and rattles less (so far).
I went from the 180 Bi to the 150 (both DSG) and I cant say I miss it or really notice the difference. It does feel smoother.

I have a 2018 model T6 150 DSG 4 motion (with difflock) Ocean and I am really pleased with the vehicle. Power delivery is adequate given that it is a campervan. The Ocean dashboard is really nice with plenty of storage. Internally the vehicle is quiet and ride quality is smooth. The suspension is a little soft with some level of body roll, but I had elected for standard suspension and 17" all season tyres because I live in the Spanish mountains, so that is to be expected. The gearbox is nice and slick and the optional leather MF steering wheel ( I got this as a freebie) comes with paddle shift which is also fun to use. The larger MFD screen is standard in Spain, but I didn't go for the Sat Nav or the ACC because of the huge option cost. We use a 10" Samsung Galaxy with the TOMTOM mobile App that sits on the pull out tray below the gearshift. Despite what others say, I have no problems at all with the standard H7 headlamps on the ocean model. The LED headlight option is a very expensive option, but it is up to the individual. I did get the VW 'comfort mattress which we find to be overpriced and not very good, but again that is just my personal opinion. I am currently in the process of 'shortening the lower bed' and having a custom made rear pad with a 3" memory foam folding topper. This is to make better room for a 'night loo' with more space available at the foot of the bed when it is deployed. For us, this has made a big difference in comfort & usability. Hope this helps.

I can echo most of the comments above.

T5 180 DSG 4 Motion to T6 204 DSG 4 Motion.

The driving experience is improved. Quieter, smoother with less suspension crash and a nicer dash.

The ambient lighting in the living area is a nice addition.

In summary a small but significant evolution of what was a fine, competent vehicle in the first place.

Thank you all for your input and really looking forward to getting a T6 ocean and long live the California

We changed from T5.1 180 DSG to aT6 205 DSG and find it smoother and quieter to travel in. Just love the DSG gearbox in the California, it just waffs you a long , sorry we're not going there again, we've been there before!

It has uprated anti-roll bars which I think were a good option. One option we've not got is the split worktop which I think would be good.

Anyone noticed the night heater pump noise to be less on the T6?

I was recently in one and found it far less intrusive than mine.

We went from a late T5.1 SE180dsg 4motion to a T6 Beach 150 manual. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss the dsg gearbox. That said the manual box on the T6 is excellent, (it was an ex demo vehicle otherwise it would have been another dsg).

The other big differences are that the former van was heavy, whilst the latter is much lighter, therefore the driving experiences differ. The SE always felt like a fully loaded van even when empty, whilst the Beach can be a little crashy over poor surfaces if lightly loaded. That goes away when the pay load is increased.

As for power, well the Cali is a leisure vehicle and I usually drive it in a leisurely manner. However both have good reserves of power when required and IMO, when the weight difference is factured into the equation there isn't much difference between these two models. Unless you are a budding rally driver, I also doubt if you'd notice that much difference in power between a SE 180 manual and a 150 dsg Ocean either.

In terms of refinement, I've read some comments that the T6 is more refined but personally I haven't noticed much difference. They are both quiet and refined.

Economy is another issue. However, in our case, a Euro 6 T6 150 manual Beach was always going to be more economical than a Euro 5 180 dsg 4motion by a country mile. However I think you will notice a marked improvement with your 150 dsg.

Apart from the above observations the difference between your old van and your proposed new van are minor. Some fancy new bling, a few more expensive options on offer, some but not all of the roof issues resolved, a few different but still dull colours to choose from and the same old iffy dealership network to support you. Despite all that, what ever California model you own you can be sure that you have the best car money can buy.

Back