Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 Sliding Door so stiff getting impossible to open or close

K

Katie Jones

VIP Member
Hi, OUr sliding door is getting worse. Van is 9 years old so way out of warranty.
The dealership is a considerable distance away and we use a local garage for routine service etc.
The door should be soft close but is now requiring real force and repeated attempts to clone or open.
I have used WD40 but it doesn’t make any difference.
If anyone has any clues that would be great.

Hi, OUr sliding door is getting worse. Van is 9 years old so way out of warranty.
The dealership is a considerable distance away and we use a local garage for routine service etc.
The door should be soft close but is now requiring real force and repeated attempts to clone or open.
I have used WD40 but it doesn’t make any difference.
If anyone has any clues that would be great.
Where did you use the WD40?
Is it stiff to slide? If so check that the runners are clean and the wheels on the sliders are turning.
If the rear of the door doesn't get pulled in on closing or pop outwards on opening then does the soft close mechanism turn on the rear C pillar? Test by bridging 2 contacts on the electrical connector on leading edge of door.

WD40 is terrible for lubrication of this sort. WD40 is a temporay fix at best and evaporates quickly leaving little residue. The WD stands for "water displacing" - which is more or less what it is meant for, and the 40 is the number of experiments they carried out before they got it right. Silicon spray is a lot better but in some cases a small dab of proper grease can help, don't overdo it though - less is more. This page helps:

I never stop being amazed how quickly there is a response to a a posting for people wanting advice. Well done WelshGas and dspunk.

How would l made your avatar appear in red when quoting you?

Thanks so much both. I was hoping we could struggle along until a roof recall check at dealers but it wasn’t to be. Helpful replies thank you.

I never stop being amazed how quickly there is a response to a a posting for people wanting advice. Well done WelshGas and dspunk.

I agree. This forum only works because of these helpful people.

Put the "at" sign in front, like SusiBus vs @SusiBus

Thanks all. It needed replacement rollers at the bottom! Works like a dream now!
Hi Katie,

did you replace the Bottom roller or a garage ?

What was the cost approximately (to help others)

The garage did it but I don’t think it was too difficult. If I’d had more time would have given it a go. The difficult bit was taking it back because they’d forgotten to replace the spring on the hook at the rear side and that was a real fiddle! Cost about £130 At a local garage.
Now we need a new sensor! How difficult is that to do??

Back