Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 SE - whole loom changed and still having roof issues

DOMINICGG1234

DOMINICGG1234

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all. Had an issue with the control panel sowing the roof was open despite is being closed. Warning beeps as I was driving too.

Having researched on the forum I decided to have the whole loom replaced. Maybe a bit hasty. But this has not solved the issue.

Any advice on which route to take now would be most gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Need more info.
Who did the work? Are they not accepting any responsibility?

Need more info.
Who did the work? Are they not accepting any responsibility?
It was a garage local to me. In fairness to them, having done my research I asked them to replace the loom. I did t ask them to do any diagnosis. But it’s obviously not a sensor issue

Sounds like a sensor issue. Two people recently have replaced sensors but wired them wrong and so not fixed the issue.
Did they not show you the old sensors? Where did you source the loom? Quite expensive no?

Yes very expensive! I’ve not been to collect it yet so not exactly sure

If they replaced the whole loom and didn't just use the sensors from the loom, then there are only a couple of possibilities.

1st, Did they get the front and rear sensors the correct way around on both sides? The sensors are identical so they must have some marking on them to identify which location they should go in. - First thing to check both sides. (Someone might know how the new harness identifies front from rear sensors?)

2nd thing to check is the oil level, if the oil level is too low then the roof won't fully go up to the point at which the ECU thinks it is fully pressurised, so it will trigger a fault on opening.

Last edited:
Has the Control Panel been checked for any Diagnostic Codes?

Check Control Panel Diagnostics.

Control Panel Off and wait 30 secs
Control Panel On
Press and Hold R lower button and then press Control Knob for 5 secs.
New Hidden Menu . Scroll to VW Diagnostics.
If there are any codes shown, take note and then Reset/Clear.
Return to Main Menu.
Switch Off Control Panel using L lower button. Wait 30 secs and Switch On.

Try Roof/Heater or Fridge

If they replaced the whole loom and didn't just use the sensors from the loom, then there are only a couple of possibilities.

1st, Did they get the front and rear sensors the correct way around on both sides? The sensors are identical so they must have some marking on them to identify which location they should go in. - First thing to check both sides. (Someone might know how the new harness identifies front from rear sensors?)

2nd thing to check is the oil level, if the oil level is too low then the roof won't fully go up to the point at which the ECU thinks it is fully pressurised, so it will trigger a fault on opening.
Thanks I will check with them. When you say the oil level which oil level do you mean please?

Has the Control Panel been checked for any Diagnostic Codes?

Check Control Panel Diagnostics.

Control Panel Off and wait 30 secs
Control Panel On
Press and Hold R lower button and then press Control Knob for 5 secs.
New Hidden Menu . Scroll to VW Diagnostics.
If there are any codes shown, take note and then Reset/Clear.
Return to Main Menu.
Switch Off Control Panel using L lower button. Wait 30 secs and Switch On.

Try Roof/Heater or Fridge
Thanks I’ve tried this and there are no error codes

Thanks I will check with them. When you say the oil level which oil level do you mean please?
The poptop is hydraulically operated. A pump pressurises oil in the system and the transfer to the rams raises the roof. Similarly releasing the pressure causes the roof to fall. The pump is in front of the control panel.

The poptop is hydraulically operated. A pump pressurises oil in the system and the transfer to the rams raises the roof. Similarly releasing the pressure causes the roof to fall. The pump is in front of the control panel.
Ok great thanks. I assume this requires the roof to be opened? Slightly worried if it then won’t lower again

I think you might be the first person to get a non dealer to fit the whole loom.
Most people have just changed the sensors.

I think the sensors are identical tbh. But there might be a case that they put the loom in incorrectly?

I think the sensors are identical tbh. But there might be a case that they put the loom in incorrectly?
So the loom goes to the ram on each side and then splits out with the sensors on each end. As you have done, most people that swap the sensors just do one at a time and thus they doesn't get mixed up, but with a whole loom i am not sure what the reference is on the loom is to determine the location.

So if the open and closed sensors are the wrong way around ie the closed sensor has been fitted forward, then with the roof open, you won't be able to close it, as it thinks it is closed already.

No fault codes means that the Roof ECU is seeing all the sensors.

It would be great to get a photo of the display, both the normal screen and then the roof screen.

If they know how to get to the Diagnostics menu and then the Hardware Menu, it would be great to get the AN8 and AN9 values and we could see that the ECU is reporting

as per

Last edited:
When VW did mine (long story) they made me buy the whole loom (about £260 + vat) as they refused to use the halls sensors I had bought. They then snipped off 2 x sensors from the same side of the loom and replaced both front sensors on the vehicle - this worked out about £1k+ cheaper then replacing the whole loom (purely labour). Why they didn’t replace all 4 still amazes me - nil communication!

So I’m waiting for a dry day ( I live in Wales so could be weeks yet) as I think one of the rear sensors is showing signs of its age. I’ll then follow @Lambeth Cali instructions.

Thanks for all the advice. Sadly don’t have the time to sort and don’t want to waste more money so I’ve put it up for sale as is. Love vws but seems like the calis have a few issues and it’s only going to get more expensive

I had roof issues and started researching sensor replacements or a new remote controlled lifting option from Kernow campers but discovered the roof fuse under the passenger seat had corroded. I cleaned it up and no problem since. Worth a check?

I had roof issues and started researching sensor replacements or a new remote controlled lifting option from Kernow campers but discovered the roof fuse under the passenger seat had corroded. I cleaned it up and no problem since. Worth a check?
Which one is roof fuse please?

I believe not all vans have the same fuse layout so I can't be certain where yours is located. Mine was a green 30A fuse in the front fuse row nearest windscreen.

Back