Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strong GBP to Euro

RodCouncil

A Brit in Sweden
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I've been following the T6 threads with interest but can't help thinking a sortie into Germany to bring back a nice 35k EUR Beach back instead of waiting?

Would I need to pay VAT on a 2012 2nd hand van if I decide to import?

Exchange rate is now gone south a little bit

I'm getting 1.37 this morning :(

Thanks briwy, this is what I assumed, shortage of Beach's and the glut of well specced ones in Germany just seems to make perfect sense to me.

I think that's a very sensible idea. As GrannyJen points out though there is no guarantee that the pound will stay this strong against the Euro for ever though.

That's why I just bought a road bike from a German company and booked my skiing holiday!!

Thanks briwy, this is what I assumed, shortage of Beach's and the glut of well specced ones in Germany just seems to make perfect sense to me.

It seems a bit of a gamble to order on a long lead time and trust to an exchange rate that will not go pear-shaped in the meantime, given the turbulence in the stock markets that has seen 10% fall in just 10 days. A week ago I was buying Euro's at 1.43, today it is 1.365.

To hedge that bet you will have to buy the Euro's now, then off course Greece could all go tits up in which todays Euro rate of £1.35 could well be £1.45 tomorrow and you will be kicking yourself having bought today..

All those imponderables whilst hedging bets with £35k of currency and to get a LHD vehicle?

We go to France/Spain in a couple of weeks: should we order euros now or use an atm as and when needed when abroad?

Yes I think it would be a bank transfer, clearly didn't mean a literal suitecase.

The point is the vehicle would be > 3 years old.

Back