Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange "metal" noise

K

Klemenzi

VIP Member
Hello Cali friends,

For several months I am hearing a strange metal sound (like some metal bar is hitting against something) behind driver’s seat (above the kitchen). This sound comes alive on bumpy roads. I have tried almost everything to find the right spot where this noise is the loudest and my best guess is in the marked areas on the picture.

I have taken everything out of my Cali and I have fixed the upper bed cause this was my main suspect but noise is still there.

Now I would like to remove marked plastic protections to investigate there and would ask for your advice how to remove this plastic without breaking it?

I will very grateful for any suggestions,
Klemenzi

VW-T5_v2.jpg

Hi Klemenzi, the Technical Manual is in the downloads section, have you had a look in there?

I have a noise in my car when there is no one in the passenger seat, turned out to be the buckle from the seat belt hitting the plastic trim :confused:

Colin

Hi Klemenzi, the Technical Manual is in the downloads section, have you had a look in there?

I have a noise in my car when there is no one in the passenger seat, turned out to be the buckle from the seat belt hitting the plastic trim :confused:

Colin
Hi Colin,
Yes i have looked in the tech manual but unfortunately there are no dismantle information available...I guess i will have to try on my own and be very gentle :)

Kindest regards,
Klemenzi

Sounds to me like the scissor hinge for the elevating roof has lost (or never had) the bit of tubing round one of the pivot pins.
Have a look at this thread: http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/loud-clonk-over-certain-bumps.4125/#post-36330
Simple fix if it is this and no dismantling required.

Hello Owen,

what a great advice!

The moment I read it I remembered that I was already checking around scissors and I noticed this tubing was only on the right side…. So I immediately cut some hose and I fitted it onto pivot point and no more metal sound JJ

Once again many thanks,

Klemenzi

Hello Owen,

what a great advice!

The moment I read it I remembered that I was already checking around scissors and I noticed this tubing was only on the right side…. So I immediately cut some hose and I fitted it onto pivot point and no more metal sound JJ

Once again many thanks,

Klemenzi
Yes, had this also on the sliding door side. Thought the door mechanism was loose at the top but it was the roof!

Glad you sorted it. If that piece of tubing rotates it can come back. The noise sounds like the van is coming apart.

Yes, had this also on the sliding door side. Thought the door mechanism was loose at the top but it was the roof!

Ah! Sounds familiar - must investigate mine!

Don't you just love this forum!
Who knows how you lot work this stuff out but boy are we glad you do!
:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

Back