Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storage on mattress in boot

What do Cali owners put in the boot?

• Lots of stuff on the mattress

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • Nothing on the mattress

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
We put heavy stuff underneath (awning, chairs, gas bottle) and clothes, bedding on top, although we move the mattress upright behind the backseat and put the luggage directly on the shelf behind it so we don't squash the mattress or get it dirty. Reading the comments, this might also act as a barrier to stop things flying about should we have that misfortune. Didn't think about that before though.

View attachment 36812 View attachment 36813
This is our boot, packed for good weather (in bad weather the event shelter gets swapped for a drive-away awning). Above the mattress it’s loaded with a couple of Outwell cupboards, a table, two (comfy) reclining chairs, four vacuum packed pillows, a double sleeping bag, a pop-up pup tent, a large awning ground mat and a 4.5m event shelter.

Below we’ve got a camp cooker and gas bottle, two sleeping bags, awning sides, awning tie-down kit, wind break, pop-up beach tent, level ramps, and various mats, games (frisbees, nerf ball, kite, pétanque, etc) and bike locks. Oh, and a Thetford porta-potty!

I’m using a net from Amazon to secure it but it’s not strong enough in my opinion, so still looking for the right kind of load securing system. Has anyone found a good way to secure yet??
Most of what you have on your bed would go in a roof box or rear bike rack mounted bag.

We store our stuff not directly on the mattress. We have a Brandrup Ixtend bed. I put the mattress on edge and store all stuff on top of the Ixtend pad!
adef6c1cb0641a7ae7d8e33c31c5ed68.jpg

Don't go near a Public Weigh Bridge.

Back