Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel sling - how many bolts?

Blakey

Blakey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We have bought a replacement spare wheel. Looking at our spare wheel sling we only have one bolt - which as you look at the van from the back, is the leftmost bolt. There is space for a bolt on the right but we don't have a bolt there. I have no idea if there was a bolt there before the spare was stolen.

So, do we need to buy a second bolt in order to safely carry the spare wheel? If so, is there a part number? Are the two bolts the same? Can you get a locking version, to stop us losing this new spare?

Many thanks all
Blakey

The one on the right is the one you can replace with a locking bolt, these are in the club shop for around £13 I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The one on the right is the one you can replace with a locking bolt, these are in the club shop for around £13 I think.

Hey Martin,

Thanks for the reply. Do we need the second bolt, locking or otherwise, for it to be safe? We are away and have the spare in the boot for now and want to know if we can bolt the spare in safely with just one bolt.

Would the locking bolt stop this spate of thefts? Or are people getting them nicked even with locking bolts on?

Thanks
Blakey

Hi Blakey,

Ideally you do need both bolts, the locking bolt will give some protection or if you want something a bit more secure go for the sparesafe.

Original the sparewheel carrier has two bolts holding things up.
one bolt you need to fully unscrew and take out , the other you need to unscrew a bit it holds the carrier in place .
To place the carrier on the ground you need to release the carrier from the second bolt by pushing the carrier left or right( don't now exact) and the carrier will come down from the verhicle.

So one bolt can hold things , two is better....

Saftey bolts or a sparesafe are non standaard things one add to prevent the spare wheel to be stolen.

If you are missing out on one of the two bolts already i suggest you buy a sparesafe or a safeteybolt instead of a standaard bolt.

Hotel California is right.

If you look at the two holes in the carrier, the left one is shaped as a keyhole. So that bolt only needs loosening to release the carrier, while the right one needs to be removed. I guess that one went with the thief.

If you buy a replacement security bolt for the right hole, make sure the replacement bolt is the longer version that is available, there are two.

This will enable you to buy the Sparesafe device in the future should you wish.
These are both available from the shop, while the bolts are available from your local VW dealer as usual.

Alan

Definitely get a sparesafe, one of the few essentials in my opinion. The security bolt on its own is not much of a deterrent.

Am I correct in saying that, once you've loosened/removed the two bolts as required, you then use the wheel brace to insert in the end of the sling to aid lowering?

It's just beyond me why VW think an under slung spare wheel is an acceptable solution? It's awful, dirty, dangerous (if on a motorway) and difficult. Why not just design the boot floor with an equivalent lump and have it internal. For me, emptying the boot area is preferable to crawling about on the floor to access a filthy spare.
They wouldn't get nicked then.

Rant over. :thumb

My last car you wound it down from inside the boot there where no bolts on show.

Am I correct in saying that, once you've loosened/removed the two bolts as required, you then use the wheel brace to insert in the end of the sling to aid lowering?

It's just beyond me why VW think an under slung spare wheel is an acceptable solution? It's awful, dirty, dangerous (if on a motorway) and difficult. Why not just design the boot floor with an equivalent lump and have it internal. For me, emptying the boot area is preferable to crawling about on the floor to access a filthy spare.
They wouldn't get nicked then.

Rant over. :thumb

Only the right bolt needs to be removed, the left one can be loosened only. The brace, inserted in the loops, makes moving the tray to one side and lowering the heavy wheel to the ground much easier.

As there is nothing under the rear floor, it has always puzzled me why a wheel well is not designed into the floor by the rear doors. Our Golf had that, simples!

Alan

We have bought a replacement spare wheel. Looking at our spare wheel sling we only have one bolt - which as you look at the van from the back, is the leftmost bolt. There is space for a bolt on the right but we don't have a bolt there. I have no idea if there was a bolt there before the spare was stolen.

So, do we need to buy a second bolt in order to safely carry the spare wheel? If so, is there a part number? Are the two bolts the same? Can you get a locking version, to stop us losing this new spare?

Many thanks all
Blakey
fitting bolts come with the carrier if buying new

Back