Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So disappointed in our cali...

I must admit to a bit of 'inside' information as I often carry a laptop and VCDS connection with me when away as was the case this time so I was aware of the fault when it occurred. However with the vehicle being under warranty I was only willing to observe the instructions / advice issued by VW Assist and my Van Centre.

Rod

I'm sorry to hear that. But if you lose confidence that easily when something goes wrong then I just don't know what to suggest. There is NO vehicle available that has a 100% reliability record.
Your problem is within warranty and surely that is why there is a warranty. If you want every part and the whole vehicle manufactured for 100% reliability then you wouldn't be able to afford it.
It's just one of those things. Get it fixed, claim your expenses back from VW and plan a new adventure. Warranties and Insurance are for when things go wrong, because they will, guaranteed.

So sorry to hear about your trouble. We live in N.Ireland too and go to Scotland a number of times per year in our Cali. You must have been so disappointed, don't give up on your van, you will get your confidence back. We live in Bangor, have a silver Cali with bike rack , will wave hope you will wave back.

There is NO vehicle available that has a 100% reliability record.
Well I totally understand the topic starter.
Especially when you already had some reliable japanise cars running for years without a tiny problem which cost x2-3 less. Of course any car can break down at any time but if you ask an experienced garage owner to give you statistics, he will definitely tell you that VW motors aren't really reliable compared to lots of others.
I love cali's concept and really looking at getting T6 but lots of my friends who are somehow connected with vehicle repairs tell me that I will definitely have problems with VW motors. (Statistically more than with other brands)

I am intrigued as to why the garage did not tell you to continue using the Cali unless performance was affected.

I suffered exactly the same problem with a 180ps T5 last March whilst away from home. VW Assist came to site and diagnosed EGR valve, he reset the fault and told me to continue driving even if the fault returned unless performance was affected contact my local Van Centre. This I did and although the fault reappeared there was no other indication. When I contacted my local Van Centre they immediately said they would order a new unit and let me know when it was available. At that time there was a world wide shortage of EGR valves for 180ps T5s so I had to wait for a further time for a new valve to arrive. All in all I waited from 28th March to 30th April to get the valve changed but continued driving the vehicle with the blessing of Volkswagen.

By the way it takes an experienced VW Van Centre a around a day to change the valve on a 180ps due to the need to dismantle all of the front of the vehicle to access the part.

I would suggest that you talk to VW Assist and get Technical to do a proper assessment of the fault to find out if yours is like mine and can be driven until you can get it into a van centre at your convenience for the EGR to be changed.

Rod
They have the part and hopefully fitting it on Monday. Wish we knew that it was ok to drive. They did reset the fault and told us to continue and contact our VW centre on our return home. But if the fault returned, we were to bring it back. The fault returned on driving out the gate so we brought it back as instructed. The garage staff are very nice but only have one commercial ramp which was booked all day Thursday & Friday. Get the impression that some garages are not as familiar with this scenario as they would like to be. VW should be addressing this problem too

Hi Guys, we met at Minnows a few months back, so sorry you have had this problem, its awful but please don't let it put you off - its just a horrid one off! Once he is all fixed up he'll be fine........ share the full devastating story with vw care and although your break has been crap they'll cover the costs.... maybe we can meet up on our travels again? keep smiling :thumb
Hi there, lovely to hear from old friends, especially when stranded! Just bit tired after past few days, we had to stay in 3 different hotels as there was an air show on locally so booked up at weekend and of course we needed dog friendly ones. Hope to go to Cali on the Farm next year after we have recovered! See you there hopefully

So sorry to hear about your trouble. We live in N.Ireland too and go to Scotland a number of times per year in our Cali. You must have been so disappointed, don't give up on your van, you will get your confidence back. We live in Bangor, have a silver Cali with bike rack , will wave hope you will wave back.
Look forward to that, we do not see many calis in Strangford!

No vehicle is 100%, if we all thought like this we would never go on holiday.

What if the plane crashes?
What if the ferry sinks?

No vehicle is 100%, if we all thought like this we would never go on holiday.

What if the plane crashes?
What if the ferry sinks?

What if the plane crashes, hits a ferry which sinks smashing a hole in the channel tunnel :shocked

The biggest mistake here was that 2.0 bi-turbo engine (180) That engine is nothing but trouble. Without doubt the most unreliable lump in the current range .

As helpful as the dealer may or may not have been. Volkswagen should have an action plan in place with their dealers to loan you a vehicle and cover your hotel costs etc.
It's not a regular vehicle and as you have experienced its not just about losing your transport, but your accommodation and possibly ruining your holidays.

Good luck with the rest of your trip, I would get onto Vw customer care and travel insurance company to sort any additional expenses

Thanks, they say that they will bring over on the ferry next week and we can give them back the loan car at the terminal. Hope we do get our confidence back as JB II is our second home

Two weeks ago I would happily have set fire to Albert outside VWUK's offices in Milton Keynes. I could not even trust the vehicle to work as a spare bedroom parked on my drive as I could not be sure whether it would have lights or a fridge.

Three days away last week completely restored my faith. A beautiful driving experience, my lovely comfortable and cosy home on wheels back again, the usual adventure as I took Albert a bit too far onto a mudflat and the usual result as the vehicle got me out of trouble, again! Everything worked perfectly.

This weekend I have fussed over him, packing and unpacking and packing again, cleaning, hoovering, a bit more packing, some things rearranged and Tuesday morning first thing I am setting off to Burnham Thorpe in Norfolk, birthplace of one of my greatest hero's.

It does not take much to restore the faith and to restore the smile. Stick with it, it will be resolved, you will be smiling again ...

Well I totally understand the topic starter.
Especially when you already had some reliable japanise cars running for years without a tiny problem which cost x2-3 less. Of course any car can break down at any time but if you ask an experienced garage owner to give you statistics, he will definitely tell you that VW motors aren't really reliable compared to lots of others.
I love cali's concept and really looking at getting T6 but lots of my friends who are somehow connected with vehicle repairs tell me that I will definitely have problems with VW motors. (Statistically more than with other brands)
I know a few Independent Garage owners. . VW is not one of the makes they talk about.

I'm sorry, but I do get annoyed when people say my £15,000 Japanese import car was so much better. Compare like with like. The VW California is a £30,000 Van with a £20,000 + Camping conversion added to it. It is designed and manufactured to carry 4 people long distances with their luggage and provide All-Weather sleeping and cooking accommodation for extended periods independantly.
I've searched and searched and cannot find ANY Japanese vehicle manufactured to do this.

I agree that VW reliability needs to improve and they need to take this seriously.

In my view it's a disgrace.

I bought my two sons a Honda Civic each in 2007....they are of course made in Swindon. I imagine due to their age that the cars have been hammered a little...neither car has suffered ANY problem at all. And they see no reason to trade them in.

The point is if you look at many posts on here....

If a manufacturer gets you so worried prior to the warranty running out and huge looming bills....that you not only pay the bills but then trade in with them due to worry...can that be right ...?

poor you, very frustrating. Hope all is fixed now.

Back