Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink screw / sink strainer

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My sink waste suddenly stopped draining. So, I’ve found very helpful instructions on here about how to clean it out.
However, the sink screw was very very tight. Gave it a spray of WD40 and now the screw rotates, but seems to be just spinning without releasing the trap below.
I’m thinking of drilling it out and replacing the unit, but that will take time and I’m away next week.
What would you do next?

My sink waste suddenly stopped draining. So, I’ve found very helpful instructions on here about how to clean it out.
However, the sink screw was very very tight. Gave it a spray of WD40 and now the screw rotates, but seems to be just spinning without releasing the trap below.
I’m thinking of drilling it out and replacing the unit, but that will take time and I’m away next week.
What would you do next?
Update:
Suddenly thought: what if the blockage is further down anyway?

I rodded the waste pipe with some wire from the outside and “hey presto”! No more blockage.

Still interested in the spinning sink screw though. Although it’s not urgent anymore I guess I’ll need to remove it one day.

All of this has made me think about the virtues of some sort of filter to sit above the plug hole. Normal plug hole filters that you might use in the shower are obviously too big. Does anyone have a campervan specific plug hole cover? Or, any DIY alternatives?

Update:
Suddenly thought: what if the blockage is further down anyway?

I rodded the waste pipe with some wire from the outside and “hey presto”! No more blockage.

Still interested in the spinning sink screw though. Although it’s not urgent anymore I guess I’ll need to remove it one day.

All of this has made me think about the virtues of some sort of filter to sit above the plug hole. Normal plug hole filters that you might use in the shower are obviously too big. Does anyone have a campervan specific plug hole cover? Or, any DIY alternatives?
We always try to remove the worst with paper towels prior to washing up, but would something like this work for you?

We always try to remove the worst with paper towels prior to washing up, but would something like this work for you?
I think this is the one we use at home. I think it’s too big for the cali and cutting it down would then lose the suckers that keep it in place.

We also ‘pick out’, rather than ‘poke down’ bits that collect in the sink, but I no longer think that this is sufficient.

Back