Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shattered glass cooker cover

B

Blue Belle

Vehicle
Please Select
First post on here, feeling totally fed up! Came home yesterday to find a distraught son, he was showing his mate the van, lifted up the cover over the cooker to show his friend and it disintegrated. Has anyone else seen this before?
image.jpg

I had a feeling they might, any ideas on cost to replace?

Replacement is relatively easy.
I had to remove the cover to replace broken hinge. By the way, hinge costs as much as 35 Euros!. Only be very careful not to damage rather soft aluminium thread. Good luck, and sorry for what has happened.

There was one on eBay for £100 the other week , not sure if it sold or not, might be worth a search.

If someone could come up with a cover with the top split so you could open the sink and hob Independently of each other I would be happy to replace mine.

So sorry you had that happen. We had the same, as per Martin's post. Happily though, it was replaced under the warranty. Hope yours can be too...

Jeez that's not good I've heard this happening to both the cooker and the fridge now and we're now always very careful with them now.. paranoia :Nailbiting

Sadly we had this happen to the fridge top. Cost about £300 ish as VW insisted something must have dropped on it even though it was the early morning and I was in bed at the time.
Hope you get it sorted....
Zebedee

Well, now is obviously the time to claim for goodwill gestures, VW have paid for the replacement! Now just have to replace the spare wheel that was stolen last night from outside the house!

First post on here, feeling totally fed up! Came home yesterday to find a distraught son, he was showing his mate the van, lifted up the cover over the cooker to show his friend and it disintegrated. Has anyone else seen this before?
View attachment 10052

Hi! im in the same situation right know. Do you bought the glass or maybe you have to make it form a glass shop? please help me

Well, now is obviously the time to claim for goodwill gestures, VW have paid for the replacement! Now just have to replace the spare wheel that was stolen last night from outside the house!

Exploding glass is not a new phenomenon. I had a glass table disintegrate in the middle of the night once with an incredibly loud bang.

=====Quote=====
a tempered glass tabletop shattered with "such force that it blew out several screws that held the glass top on the left side of the desk." And in other reports, customers say their tempered glass shower doors exploded out of the blue. One report said, "glass had come all the way out into the hallway."
=====/Quote=====
http://www.abc2news.com/homepage-sh...-when-why-tempered-glass-can-randomly-explode

Think I'd be tempted to replace it with a stainless steel one if ours ever went.

View attachment 10052
Unfortunately this has just happened to me over the weekend away. Please can someone point me in the right direction for a replacement... I’ve read through several posts but nothing really to say where to find a replacement for my 2006 California.
Can any one please help?

Unfortunately this has just happened to me over the weekend away. Please can someone point me in the right direction for a replacement... I’ve read through several posts but nothing really to say where to find a replacement for my 2006 California.
Can any one please help?
It would appear the glass cover Part Nos is the same on 2014 model as it was on the 2006.

C49F9867-DFAB-46A7-806A-118AC80DDFF4.png9D60F7F2-7245-4C77-80A2-B6EFBE84D6EE.jpeg

2014 Part Nos
7H7068021F

The Forum Shop can source VW parts and check the Part Number using your vehicle VIN number. Also discount for VIP members. Worth a call.

Be very careful when fixing the hinges. Either of damaging the thread in the aluminium kitchen unit, or snapping a hinge bolt off.
When replacing our fridge lid under warranty, the dealer managed to snap off a hinge fixing bolt, resulting in the whole kitchen unit having to be replaced. Yes, the whole kitchen unit! Disconnect water, disconnect gas, bed out, wardrobe out, replace kitchen unit, refit everything.
I think if it happened to me out of warranty, the hinge would have remained with one fixing Bolt.

I have used this website for less readily available parts before although not post the b word.

Probably not the cheapest or quickest but for me a lot less hassle & more reliable than my local main dealer. If you have a good dealership nearby that's probably the easiest.

They also occasionally come up on ebay

If the glass isn’t heat soaked it could be nickel sulphide inclusion. Natural fault which can cause sudden failure of toughened glass. Although the story reminded my of long ago at school when I hit a strip light with my bag. I told the caretaker that it had just fallen out. ‘Oh it just fell out did it?’.

Back