Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

securing bike rack

Hi, slightly off topic, but still in regards to keeping our bikes safe and sound on the rack. Has anyone found a decent cover to go over the bikes when on the rack, I think covering them up is a good idea, especially hiding expensive bikes from being seen, but can only find cheap ones which don't fit particularly well. Maybe there is someone who makes a custom fit one ???

I am having doubts at the moment of having gotten the VW bike rack for my new T6. It is far less secure than the Thule I had before with locking options (for the rack itself), but it is stronger in design and doesn't stretch to the bottom of the door. I will take your good advice and see what securing options are best, but need to dismount a lot of the rack before driving it around.

Hi, slightly off topic, but still in regards to keeping our bikes safe and sound on the rack. Has anyone found a decent cover to go over the bikes when on the rack, I think covering them up is a good idea, especially hiding expensive bikes from being seen, but can only find cheap ones which don't fit particularly well. Maybe there is someone who makes a custom fit one ???
The problem is because the bicycles project above the roof line, if covered, there will be a lot of aerodynamic drag and unless made of a very strong fabric could be damaged and ripped off at motorway speeds unless of very high quality. On Motorhomes with such racks the rack and cover are in the aerodynamic dead zone, unlike the California. Best of luck with your search.:thumb

Maybe Comfortz could help out?

I just removed 70% of the rack off the back that could be taken off by hand without even a tool! The 4 connection points to the door use security bolts and a tool came with kit (finding items dealership gave me as they installed it), but I still think one could remove another 20% without much trouble. I am going to try to use my left over Thule security pieces to work on it or order security bolts. I am not sure how I am going to secure the "slider things with straps" the bike wheels secure to on the rails, as you just hand pop off the plastic ends of rails and "slider things with straps" just come off. Thule just uses a strap that is not as nice, but less tempting for a thief. I wish I lived in a place where people did not steal for the mere sake of being able to steal something - even if it has no value in it.

Hi @Canary Bird,

How did you get on with this? Did you find a way to secure the rack? I've just fitted the new (fugly) rack to my T6 and don't want it stolen - it looks easy to pinch to me!

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jez

I have not found a good solution.

I have ...
~ taken the "tire holder on things" off all the rails ... they can be stolen by just popping off end caps on rails
~ removed the center two rails (helps with visibility too)
~ left the partial rails (2 parts) on the end of the rack (rail/s farthest from van when folded down)
~ left the full rail (rail closest to van when folded down), but attached a set Fiamma locking knobs (2) to this rail
~ removed the clasping arms

From my understanding the Fiamma locking knobs are discontinued and and can be hard to find, cost me about 19 pounds for set of 2, this set of 2 has matching keys, but I can't get matching keys for more (for all rails ... it would mean lots of keys), the knobs are large & clunky looking.

Please let me know if you find better locking knobs (black in color or smaller and with matching keys!) I might buy more ... but this doesn't solve the problem of the "tire holder on things" not being stolen. I could screw down the end caps, but need to slide them off when putting on a Thule case. I wish there weren't people who stole for the sake of stealing ... even parts that have no value to them! :(

locking knobs fiamma-320x248.jpg