Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

securing bike rack

C

camperkid

Hi guys I'm not sure if I'm missing something but is there a way to secure the VW bike rack to your vehicle, I have fitted one today and the only thing holding it in position is two screws with Allen key heads!! Its ok locking the bike to the rack but anyone with an Allen key could whip the whole lot of with no hassle at all!! is there something you can purchase to make it more secure?
Also could someone who has one fitted, please tell me if the tail gate opens unaided or do you have to physically raise the tail?

thanks guys, hope someone can help :thanks

Our rack has no way of securing it beyond the Allen bolts and I don't know of another mechanism. With any bikes locked on it, it becomes a bit of a weighty beast.

The tailgate should hold up with bikes on the rack, ours does with 2 but the gas struts on our Cali are now 8 years old. It is a bit of an effort though - my tailgate will not open unaided.

The only thing you can do is replace the Allen bolts with security bolts of the same length :thumb

Any idea where we might get security bolts Kev?
Sounds like a good idea to me. Scrap ally seems to be quite valuable at the moment.

rob

Good morning,

The only way they can steal your bike rack is if you leave the tailgate open. Once the tailgate is shut there is no way of accessing the allen key bolts as they are hidden against the rear lights.

Volkswagen does not recommend lifting the tailgate with bikes on the rack. You will have to aid it up but it will stay up without out any help afterwards (with no bikes on it).

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply's guys, I think the security bolts are the answer, thanks Kev.
Im not sure if mine is fitted incorrectly as Steve said the bolts are unaccessible when the tail gate is closed, but mine could easily be removed, obviously not using the long key supplied but with a shorter key with a 90 degree bend.

I have ordered some security bolts and will let you know how I get on later this week :thumb

I agree that they could be removed with the tailgate shut using a smaller key.
A thief would not care if they broke the light in the process.
A couple of security bolts sounds like a good idea.

rob

Just looked at my 2013 Cali to confirm what I thought.
The lights are flush with the body and in no way impound on the location of the bolts.
Easily accessible with a conventional Allen key.

I have received my screws an can confirm they fit great :thumb
i have ordered some more and will be making up sets to sell there will be 2 security
Bolts and a special key to tighten them please let me know if you are interested
they will be £9.99 Inc postage
cheers kev

20140916_104135.jpg 20140916_105310.jpg

I'll take a pair when you have them.

rob

Thanks Kev

I'm technically impaired. Can you explain how the screws are "Secure". Is the key unique (ish)?

Also can the screws be removed (repeatedly) should one decide to remove the rack, or are they fit once, destroy to remove?

Sorry if the questions are obvious,

Cheers
Mark

Don't worry mark the screws are not totally unique they are torx
With a pin in the centre if someone turns up to nick it without a
Pin torx key they will not be able to remove it. It won't stop a determined thief
but an opportunist is very unlikely to have the right tool
they are totally removable with the key so you could use them again
Hope this makes sense

Thanks Kev, appreciate the information.

Put me down for a set - let me know how to order, once you have details.

Cheers
Mark

Yes please Kev when you get them sorted.

Cheers
Mark

Not sure about whether this is worth it.
1. I always carry a set of security screw bits in my toolkit anyway so security torx are as easy as allen keys. I am sure that I'm not alone (I'm not aiming to steal stuff :D )
2. Is this a problem? Has anyone had their rack tampered with?
3. Looking at mine, if I wanted to take the whole rack and all the bikes locked onto it then I'd just take a hacksaw to the appropriate parts of the rack - much quicker than undoing some allen bolts.

I think you are not going to stop a determined thief but for £9.99 if it stops the opportunist
Thief who see's it on the way back from the pub from nicking it money well spent I say
KeV put me down for one :thumb :thumb

Looks great Kev Ill have a set :thumb I agree not a total solution but will definitely act as a deterrent, if someone wants to steal it then there would be no stopping them.

I would have thought VW would have designed it so when the tail gate is closed the bolts are not accessible

Hi all

I have just found this thread, a couple of questions.

Kev: I see your auction is ended. Do you have any more of those bolts? Or can you post details of how to get them.

Has anyone tried the Rich's solution just a above?

Thanks

Rick