Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Second impressions of my new van

racali

racali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
First impressions were based on getting it home and polishing it. Second impressions are based on using it in earnest in a five day visit to Minack in Cornwall, which was a round trip of 613 miles. What can I say other than WoW. What a great drive and 35.5 mpg travelling around 70mph. It is my first diesel, so other than the dreadful fueling issues, I love that quiet tinkling noise from the engine and the shove you get on kick down. I am trying to perfect the art of a rolling start with stop start off to maneuver into roundabouts and junctions. I also notice that my frenetic London driving style has become far more laid back, perhaps it is because I feel as though I am driving an armchair, actually more like a sofa.

At the campsite we ordered all the extras. We didn't appreciate that an awning meant a large tent taking up grass rather than a bit of a sunshade so we did get our money back for that. I almost asked for our money back for the hook up which just didn't seem to work. However, with a bit of trial and error with the assistance of a neighbour we eliminated the cable and what it was plugged into at both ends and established that the current was getting to the socket on the rhs of the kitchen. After a couple of days relaxing I ventured into the back, glass in hand, current off, and found that the plug to the charger was not fully secured. Now I had the right bits come up on the screen - not that I fully understand the hieroglyphics - what should it say when fully charged? The popaloo was an excellent choice, as was a separate campingaz ring for the greasy smelly full english, and we soon learned to have the wherewithal for the first morning cuppa in bed laid out the night before – or it didn’t happen.

Sleeping was a dream on the VW overlay and sheepskin cover in bags but probably will convert to duvets. The interior heater was a blast but noisy when taking off (not to mention the ticking) so we tended not to use it when we had tents nearby. We slept with the roof up and down and it seemed to make little difference. I was surprised though that the roof fabric is not waterproof - hells bells, fabric technology has moved on to breathable waterproof materials which you take for granted in outdoor technical clothing - we are fans of Rohan. The front screens worked a treat though were not as lightproof as the blinds which in themselves leaked around the edges and in strong sunlight exhibited lots of pinpricks.

So the trip uncovered the need to spend more money. An external topper seems essential to both keep the wet off the tea cloth roof fabric (has anyone tried to treat this with a waterproofing agent?) and give some thermal insulation. External thermal screens to the front windows for similar reasons. A cover for at least the rear portion of the mattress as it is where I seemed to put things when rummaging in the boot. A protective floor covering (the larger turtle mat looks about right) for the boot as the plastic crates I used started to scuff the small studs in the flooring finish - smooth bottomed crates would also stop this. The joint between the plastic boot edge and the floor covering is also vulnerable - not the best design detail. Lastly, I need to consider how to make the front area serviceable (that light coloured carpet!!!) due to the fact the carpet and rubber mats only cover the flat areas and do not protect the areas next to the driver’s (dirty) feet - which will need a more flexible material to cover the contours. Oh … and some of those nice Brandrup pockets to put your glasses, kindle, earphones, false teeth, fags, etc just as you are about to drop off.

Great entertainment - Scotland next

Hi Racali, it's great you are putting into words what many of us have experienced. :thumb

Your MPG figure is good for the 4motion 180 DSG, I just about managed that on my last trip M6 southbound but I think the wind was behind me. Going the opposite way I got about 33. Those are computer figures, my experience is that actual mpg based on brimming the tank works out 2 - 3 mpg less than this. There's a bit of a fuel penalty with the 4motion but it's a great feeling being able to place your van anywhere on a soggy wet field without worrying about getting stuck!

I'm still trying to get to grips with the DSG delay, it's not always possible to get a rolling start and it doesn't seem to completely eliminate it anyway. :(

For the amount of electric you are able to use in the Cali electric hook up is usually poor value for us. Some of the larger vans have electric cooker rings and heating, hot water etc so they get their money's worth.

The roof canvas is supposed to be waterproof provided you don't touch it; some say it needs to be wetted a few times before it is fully proofed. I tried an external topper but gave up after a few uses as being too much hassle, particularly if you have to put it away wet. I have now settled for the Comfortz internal topper which stays in place all the time and makes the interior much more comfortable in cold windy weather.

Noted your comments about the front screens. Again, I have wasted money on external thermal blinds which are a nuisance when wet; the particular ones I got also tend to get blown up at the corners by the wind; so you need to research the reviews carefully when selecting. We are back to the factory screens again!

As you say, and many others have found, the light coloured carpets are a nuisance; we use matts supplied by one of the trade partners on here but they still leave a gap near the front of the transmission tunnel which we cover over with one of those doormats you see for sale everywhere; ditto the rear floor space.

Anyway, it's all part of the fun, glad you are enjoying :)

Have a look at the Brandrup internal insulation/reflective front & door blinds. Easy to put up, no weather-borne issues and they do a great blackout / insulating job in the heat or cold.

We use the comfortz topper from the discounts section on this site, which is excellent, lightweight (fits in with the chairs). It's not too expensive (unlike most Cali-designed items) and has a simple toggle system for fastening. December camping made real!

b773c0e0f4be31f8a3440653a7f86d80.jpg

We also use a simple pop up tent to store all the extra camping gubbins & our 3-year olds stuff behind the van or under the roll out awning. Great for keeping things dry whilst you pack up too. Got a gelert quick pitch festival tent from eBay (£20 literally goes up in seconds!)

Enjoy your new found Cali-world!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ideally, I think the roof fabric should be treated with a water repellant every couple of years; similar to the reproofing products for jackets. This would help the water to bead and run off the fabric rather than soaking in. As it is a 'single layered tent' it is always likely to be a little damp on the inside in the morning due to humans sleeping inside!

+1 for the Brandrup isolite internal blinds - they fit windscreen and front door windows. Used our set for the first time this past weekend.

They block more light than the fabric blinds, seem to prevent the dreaded condensation and can be laid flat on top of the roof mattress for storage.

Thanks to Steve at SMG for getting my set to me super fast and with the great VIP discount last week.

Back