Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Safe Install

C

Cooperman19

Guest User
Just fitted the VW lockable safe panel and well pleased with it, really neat job, plenty of depth to put in the valuables, a must have accessory as far as I'm concerned.

A big thank you to our sponsors SMG arrived quickly, very well packed to prevent damage , six pop rivets later job done :thumb

Anyone know the part number of this as I need to order one? SMG?

Just give Steve + SMG a call, tell him you want a safe and he'll sort you out with the parts.

VW T5 California Safe Install
Posted on March 19, 2013
One of the options available on the VW California from the factory is to have the safe installed in the bottom of the large cupboard/wardrobe this is something we weren’t sure about at the time of ordering but after having the Cali for a while and the space been a bit wasted I decided to retrofit the manufactures genuine part.

DSC_8123DSC_8124
Turns out the safe is just a metal door thats shaped to fit perfectly in the space with some holes drilled inside to secure it flush with the raised part of the cupboard floor the cupboard.

Time to fit Approx. 10mins
VW Part number :- 7H7068191 – Lockable cover

The safe fits in the bottom of the cupboard to the left of the fridge, there are three small pre drilled holes on each side of the side walls. For better access I folded the seat down into bed mode.

DSC_8128

Place the cover in the hole and push the supplied rivets through the holes in the cover into the hole in the side walls. This makes sure everything fits as it should, snap the rivets up and your done.

DSC_8130 DSC_8131

SHARE THIS:

It is reassuring to have. And I think it offers reasonable security too. Not so much down to physical strength, but more its location.

It is "awkward" to get into it, even when you have the key. Leaning over the rear seat, contorting yourself into the bottom of the wardrobe.

So breaking in with an alarm going off would not be much fun, even if the robber knows that there is a lockable cover down there.

An absolute doddle to fit, if you own a pop riveting gun. An absolute Doddle
to fit if you don't, as pop riveting guns cost nothing

How easy would it be to remove the safe? I think my wife would rather have the extra hanging length this would allow. Ours is full of toilet rolls for most of the time.
Have Fun.

I think you would just need to drill out the 6 pop rivets which should be easy to do provided you have a steady hand and a relatively compact drill. The drill spoil would land underneath the wardrobe, not sure how you would remove this. But I am not sure it would do any harm either.

If your drilling was a little off, you would enlarge the 6 holes in the plastic a bit, but they are out of site

Thanks for the reply. Next time the subject comes up I'll get in there with my drill. You wouldn't happen to know the diameter of the holes in the body by any chance? And is it really just plastic?

Did you remove yours Bob? If so and it came out damage free, I would be interested in buying it.

Back