Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
I spoke to a repair centre. The way they explained the repair to me was:
Cut away the front part of the front section above the windscreen but leave approx the last 30mm in place.
Clean and prime what's left and glue a new GRP section over the remaining piece and the gap where the old one was cut away.
The elevating roof would be rubbed down, primed and painted where necessary and a new seal fitted without the metal band inside which may be causing the problem.

I've got mixed feelings on the repair.
- seems less invasive than debonding the whole front section (which could be good)
- maybe it's a coverup job - is it going to be corroding underneath?
- really not so happy about the short warranty given it's a new repair that hasn't been tested over time

Just had my van back from the new repair I've waited 2 years for. The roof is sort of ok if you like black mastic around the front lip, but it's what else they do to your van you need to look out for:

The front headlining and a and b pillar trim is removed. The b piller trim on mine is now broken. The headlining has dirty finger marks everywhere.

The front drivers seat squab is removed- they have lost the original bolts and bodged the repair with the wrong threaded bolts and lots of washers which don't hold the seat down and are now stuck. The front seat trim is now broken and is dangerous in an accident. I need to check but I'm pretty sure a loose drivers seat squab is an mot failure.

The control panel is removed- my roof elevates much slower.

The front parts of the awning channel is removed mine has been slightly polished with a DA through the black anodising.

There is lacquer overspray on the drivers door which is matt.

Shards of aluminium, left over screws and drilled rivets were left everywhere in the cab area.

Overall it's been done by an animal with no care what so ever.

Mine went to London somewhere. I hope yours doesn't, but if it does check the areas I've mentioned. You wouldn't think to look at your seat for an external roof repair!!!

Good luck.

Colin

Just had my van back from the new repair I've waited 2 years for. The roof is sort of ok if you like black mastic around the front lip, but it's what else they do to your van you need to look out for:

The front headlining and a and b pillar trim is removed. The b piller trim on mine is now broken. The headlining has dirty finger marks everywhere.

The front drivers seat squab is removed- they have lost the original bolts and bodged the repair with the wrong threaded bolts and lots of washers which don't hold the seat down and are now stuck. The front seat trim is now broken and is dangerous in an accident. I need to check but I'm pretty sure a loose drivers seat squab is an mot failure.

The front parts of the awning channel is removed mine has been slightly polished with a DA through the black anodising.

Shards of aluminium, left over screws and drilled rivets were left everywhere in the cab area.

Mine went to London somewhere. I hope yours doesn't, but if it does check the areas I've mentioned. You wouldn't think to look at your seat for an external roof repair!!!

Good luck.

Colin

Sounds horrific.
Presumably you are going to complain, please let us know what reaction you get and the outcome.

Colin your account of the new repair should put FEAR into any owner getting the repair now

Good luck.

Colin
That's awful - I take it VWCS will be getting a call Monday. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution.

Our Cali was finally ready on Friday after having the so called quick repair completed, it ended up being in the bodyshop for three weeks with no courtesy car. When we collected the van it was dark but now we have seen it in the light we are not happy as they have used a sealant on the part above the windscreen which looks very ugly, also there are all grease marks on our bellows and the upstairs mattress, there is also a scratch on the dasboard that was not there when the van went it. Suffice to say we are very unhappy and will be calling VWCS tomorrow morning.

It will be a week tomorrow since mine went in, so reading these bad experiences is making me rather nervous!
Can't we start naming and shaming the garages that have made cock-ups of our vans, so others can refuse to have theirs taken there?

Photograph everything that might be involved in this repair, inside and out before the vehicle goes in for repair.
Could be a good idea to give the repair shop a copy of the photos so that they are aware you expect the vehicle back in the same condition.

Any chance of a photo of the sealant along the front section/windscreen area?

If this is what's happening I think I'd prefer to live with the corrosion, which is probably what they are much happier for me to do anyway. This whole thing is ridiculous, when it's time to change it's now very unlikely to be another Cali - after this and all the emissions issues that affect other VAG models. I have a business fleet too, I guess that will have to exclude VAG now as well.

If this is what's happening I think I'd prefer to live with the corrosion, which is probably what they are much happier for me to do anyway. This whole thing is ridiculous, when it's time to change it's now very unlikely to be another Cali - after this and all the emissions issues that affect other VAG models. I have a business fleet too, I guess that will have to exclude VAG now as well.
Having recently got my confirmation of pending repair...I am inclined to agree with you.....

I think we need some photos of these badly executed repairs to be able to put this latest cock up into perspective.

Good luck.

Colin
Colin,

Please can you advise of the name of the workshop as soon as possible. Thanks

By next year I reckon VW will give you the plastic cover and say stick this over the corroding part yourself

By next year I reckon VW will give you the plastic cover and say stick this over the corroding part yourself
Make sure it doesn't end up looking like mine ;)

I can confirm Shorade are no longer doing the cali repairs. Apparently it is now being done by vw body shops.
Roof is now divided into 12 sections with separate warrantee claim for each one. Whole roof is NOT now painted. Shorade believe the new rcb repair is the best way to do the repair.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

This is getting ridiculous. Extract from email that I sent to VW today

I can’t find the record of when the issue was first reported on my California , it would have been either at the service on 10/Aug/14 or the MOT on 9/Mar/15. I think it was probably the first of these dates as I do remember it took a very long time to get confirmation of who would do the work. I had been given an estimate of 1 to 2 years and was assured that my van had been accepted and was listed for repair to get the issue fixed so I was expecting a long wait.
AB Crush wrote to me on 29th July 2015 to say that they had been assigned the work but lead times were projected to be the next year (2016).
On 10/8/16 I re registered the claim because I found out from the owners forum that they had cancelled the current repairs and they had to be resubmitted.
On 1/11/16 you emailed and told me that the vehicle would be repaired by AB crush in December or January 2017
On 30th November 2016 you emailed to say that there would be further delays.
In a phone call today (2/Dec/16) you confirmed that there are still issues with the repair process and that no further vehicles could be repaired until this is resolved.

I have also forwarded to Watchdog. Initially I though it was just front panel, but after seeing the very helpful summary post I looked under the perimeter roof seal and there is rust all around it. VW never checked it and I am not an expert. Now contending this with them as well.

This is getting ridiculous.
On 1/11/16 you emailed and told me that the vehicle would be repaired by AB crush in December or January 2017
On 30th November 2016 you emailed to say that there would be further delays.
In a phone call today (2/Dec/16) you confirmed that there are still issues with the repair process and that no further vehicles could be repaired until this is resolved

Strange, as I received a phone call from AB Crush this afternoon to say that they had now completed the roof repairs to my Cali? They've had it since 22nd November! They said last week there had been a delay due to a problem with the warranty claim, stating that VW had only authorised for the pop-up roof to be touched up. AB Crush apparently sorted this as the roof required more extensive repairs?

Strange, as I received a phone call from AB Crush this afternoon to say that they had now completed the roof repairs
Never mind Watchdog, this saga is a slam dunk as a BBC farce.

Have you checked your AB Crush repair. I understand that one was done for my local dealer but they were unhappy with the result when it arrived and was inspected and so they have delayed sending any others until this is resolved.

Have you checked your AB Crush repair. I understand that one was done for my local dealer but they were unhappy with the result when it arrived and was inspected and so they have delayed sending any others until this is resolved.

No, it's due back tomorrow so it will be getting a good going over with a fine tooth comb! AB Crush have been very reassuring on the phone. I rang them and told them I had high expectations and had taken about 100 photos of the van beforehand, so we will see.

Back