Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
What material is the bonding strap?
How is it fixed to each component?
He tried to explain it but it wasn't clear, he mentioned a stainless pad with some sort of cable clamp but didnt say how the stainless pad fixed to sign. Probably bolted on as part of the mounting I assume as you cant insulate it, so I assume its on there before it's painted. my plan was to take a look for myself at the earliest opportunity or ask him to send a photo. (work in progress)

Hi there!

Our Cali is from 2007, and it sat abandoned in a garage for the best part of 6 years. When we bought (in 2014) it had but a very tiny spot on the edge of the seal on the front panel.
Since then, with the van being used, it has gotten worse and it's now noticeable all along that edge.

My reality is a bit different from the UK, California's in Portugal are extremely rare and very few dealers have ever even seen one, let alone work on it. No one is aware of the roof corrosion issue, and being from 2007, I have no chance to get any sort of help from VW.

My question is:
What is the best method for repair, so far?

I have to get this repaired, either at VW (at my own cost) or by some other bodywork & paint shop, and I do need to explain it to them because no one has a clue.

I've been reading this thread, but I can't seem to find a clear answer on the best method for this repair. Any ideas? Anyone done repairs with any success?

Worst case scenario will probably be a regular sanding and painting of the area, but I'm really hoping for any other suggestions that can produce a better and longer-lasting result.

Thanks!

Hi there!

Our Cali is from 2007, and it sat abandoned in a garage for the best part of 6 years. When we bought (in 2014) it had but a very tiny spot on the edge of the seal on the front panel.
Since then, with the van being used, it has gotten worse and it's now noticeable all along that edge.

My reality is a bit different from the UK, California's in Portugal are extremely rare and very few dealers have ever even seen one, let alone work on it. No one is aware of the roof corrosion issue, and being from 2007, I have no chance to get any sort of help from VW.

My question is:
What is the best method for repair, so far?

I have to get this repaired, either at VW (at my own cost) or by some other bodywork & paint shop, and I do need to explain it to them because no one has a clue.

I've been reading this thread, but I can't seem to find a clear answer on the best method for this repair. Any ideas? Anyone done repairs with any success?

Worst case scenario will probably be a regular sanding and painting of the area, but I'm really hoping for any other suggestions that can produce a better and longer-lasting result.

Thanks!

1 Don't use the VW repair method it does not work.
2 Find a repair shop that are familiar with aluminium repair and repainting. Vintage cars boats etc
3 Good luck.

1 Don't use the VW repair method it does not work.
2 Find a repair shop that are familiar with aluminium repair and repainting. Vintage cars boats etc
3 Good luck.

Thanks!
One thing, is the front panel removable?

Thanks!
One thing, is the front panel removable?

The front panel is bolted and bonded onto the main body and extends rearwards above the side doors.
Have you checked under the seal on the raising section of the roof?

The front panel is bolted and bonded onto the main body and extends rearwards above the side doors.
Have you checked under the seal on the raising section of the roof?

Thanks again.
Last time I checked the raising roof was quite a while back, I will check again today and let you know, but hopefully there's nothing to report.

As for the front panel, what do you mean bonding?
I've noticed it runs 50 or 60cm further along the sides and then seems to have some kind of silicon. Can this be removed and replaced? Ideally I could remove the front panel and do the repair to it, but if it's not possible then it'll have to be done in place, which I'm not very happy about...

The silicone you can see bonds the side parts of the front panel to the vehicle. It's not just a bead around the edge it's spread all under the panel.

The silicone you can see bonds the side parts of the front panel to the vehicle. It's not just a bead around the edge it's spread all under the panel.

Well, so much for removing it then... unless I could source that silicone somewhere, but even so I'm guessing it's a tough job. Will have to the work in place then.

As for the raising section, it's hard to pull back the seal, it's really stuck on there, but I can't find anything.

For a while now I've thought about painting the van in liquid vinyl paint, the new one that's sprayed on. After the repair, do you think this would add further protection or is it irrelevant?

Well, so much for removing it then... unless I could source that silicone somewhere, but even so I'm guessing it's a tough job. Will have to the work in place then.

As for the raising section, it's hard to pull back the seal, it's really stuck on there, but I can't find anything.

For a while now I've thought about painting the van in liquid vinyl paint, the new one that's sprayed on. After the repair, do you think this would add further protection or is it irrelevant?

I have no expertise in painting aluminium, neither do VW, find a workshop that is used to painting aluminium and discuss it with them.

I have no expertise in painting aluminium, neither do VW, find a workshop that is used to painting aluminium and discuss it with them.
Well, thanks anyway.
I will do something, even if just a sand&respray and vinyl wrap/spray. Time will tell if effective or not.
In the meanwhile I'm talking to a Land Rover guy, maybe he can steer me in the right direction.

Will post updates and photos of the repair process in a separate thread.

Well, thanks anyway.
I will do something, even if just a sand&respray and vinyl wrap/spray. Time will tell if effective or not.
In the meanwhile I'm talking to a Land Rover guy, maybe he can steer me in the right direction.

Will post updates and photos of the repair process in a separate thread.
Remember this is not your usual " Corrosion/Rust " this is Galvanic Corrosion caused by having 2 dis-similar metals in close contact in the presence of an electrolyte, in this case rain water. The Body of the van and the roof strengthening is steel and the elevating roof and roof front section are aluminium alloy.
The Roof Front section is a major structural component of the cab safety cell, so not easy to remove.
Land Rover Defenders have suffered this problem since 1947 as they have Aluminium Alloy body panels on a steel frame.

Normally rub down, fill, zinc rich primer x 2 and then top coat.

You could consider a contrasting colour as trying to match a 2007 colour perfectly would be difficult.

Remember this is not your usual " Corrosion/Rust " this is Galvanic Corrosion caused by having 2 dis-similar metals in close contact in the presence of an electrolyte, in this case rain water. The Body of the van and the roof strengthening is steel and the elevating roof and roof front section are aluminium alloy.
The Roof Front section is a major structural component of the cab safety cell, so not easy to remove.
Land Rover Defenders have suffered this problem since 1947 as they have Aluminium Alloy body panels on a steel frame.

Normally rub down, fill, zinc rich primer x 2 and then top coat.

You could consider a contrasting colour as trying to match a 2007 colour perfectly would be difficult.

Many thanks for the tip, much appreciated!

Why do you say 2007 is hard to match? Because of paint aging? Or something else?
If it's aging I don't think it'll be hard, like I said, our van was abandoned for 6 years in a garage and she's only know crossing over 29k miles. She's in very good condition, like new.

IMG_7927.JPG

Many thanks for the tip, much appreciated!

Why do you say 2007 is hard to match? Because of paint aging? Or something else?
If it's aging I don't think it'll be hard, like I said, our van was abandoned for 6 years in a garage and she's only know crossing over 29k miles. She's in very good condition, like new.

View attachment 17460
Just due to its age. Paint colours change over time not just due to UV light.
Some are worse than others, but a good paint technician can usually spot re-sprayed panels at a distance if they have been done in a standard body shop because the paint is not applied in exactly the same way , or dried in the same way as it was originally.
You might be lucky and have an expert at hand.:thumb

Just due to its age. Paint colours change over time not just due to UV light.
Some are worse than others, but a good paint technician can usually spot re-sprayed panels at a distance if they have been done in a standard body shop because the paint is not applied in exactly the same way , or dried in the same way as it was originally.
You might be lucky and have an expert at hand.:thumb

Thanks!

Not that many experts where we are, mostly guys that are concearned with quick and cheap work, with no regard for quality... I've been recommended one by a couple of people now, which is unusual, so I'll pay him a visit this week if I can.
A couple of people also said that the liquid vinyl paint may also help after the repair. I'm thinking about doing the whole van in a two-tone scheme! Hopefully it can delay the process by keeping moisture at bay.

Got confirmation that mine will be going in for repair in the New Year, 60 vans in front of me so hopefully they will be well practised by the time mine goes in.......

Interestingly its getting significantly worse whilst I'm waiting, now both sides and centre of the front panel and creeping up from the rubber seal on the main roof at lots of places...

Got confirmation that mine will be going in for repair in the New Year, 60 vans in front of me so hopefully they will be well practised by the time mine goes in.......

Interestingly its getting significantly worse whilst I'm waiting, now both sides and centre of the front panel and creeping up from the rubber seal on the main roof at lots of places...

Any chance of any photos ?

I spoke to a repair shop today and got mine booked in for late Feb.
The feller said the aluminium front section is removed and replaced with a GRP unit.
He seemed to suggest that something remains underneath towards the rear which it fits over.
Total time for the repair is expected to be around 10 days.
The elevating roof is also resprayed and a new seal fitted which doesn't have the steel belt to damage the paint work and contribute to the corrosion.

I spoke to Shorade yesterday and they have confirmed they are no longer doing the roof repair. Waiting for someone to call back to find out where we stand regards rework of an already repaired roof.

I spoke to a repair shop today and got mine booked in for late Feb.
The feller said the aluminium front section is removed and replaced with a GRP unit.
He seemed to suggest that something remains underneath towards the rear which it fits over.
Total time for the repair is expected to be around 10 days.
The elevating roof is also resprayed and a new seal fitted which doesn't have the steel belt to damage the paint work and contribute to the corrosion.
Interesting, but contrary to everything I've read so far.

It would be good if VW would explain the repair to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cali was reported with the issue in Sept 14 and I was told that the only fix was a full roof replacement which would be covered by a 3 year warranty. Sept 16 I was told (after me chasing VW I might add) that my vehicle was to be booked in but that the work to be carried out was now a replacement visor but a repair on the roof and that this work is now only covered by a 12 month warranty. In trying to understand exactly what this work would involve VW have been unable/unwilling to divulge. My van was due in next Monday 14th but having now spoken to the general manager at the Nationwide repair center he has confirmed the following:
1) the visor would be replaced with a composite version and would fix the issue.
2) the repair work on the roof (and mine is a particularly bad example of this) would be rubbed down and a high grade primer be used before respray. On asking him is this would prevent re-occurrence of the issue he stated that there would be no guarantee.
This form of Poultice Corrosion which is being experienced on almost 100% of California's is near incurable on the aluminium surface and I continue to petition VW to honor their original offer of a roof replacement with a 3 year warranty. There are many examples of where VW have confirmed the issue is related to an imbalance of metals used in the original manufaturing process and for which a repair on the original roof will simply not work which is also confirmed in the fist link below where Cali's which have been repaired are seeing the same issue:

https://wildaboutscotland.com/2015/12/07/vw-california-roof-corrosion-key-facts/
http://www.thevwcalifornia.com/rustyroof/

Back