Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
We have lost around 20 x 10cm of paint now, nobody is interested in re-submitting our claim as they say it needs to be done by a bodyshop, I am still waiting for a call back to find out which bodyshop I need to go to. We have been waiting for over two years now on the main list and dont know what to do in regards to the new style repair.
I know exactly how you feel...I quote from a letter dated 29th APRIL 2013 from VW "please be assured that we are committed to completing this (repair) on your vehicle at the earliest opportunity" THAT's three and a half years ago !!!

We have lost around 20 x 10cm of paint now, nobody is interested in re-submitting our claim as they say it needs to be done by a bodyshop, I am still waiting for a call back to find out which bodyshop I need to go to. We have been waiting for over two years now on the main list and dont know what to do in regards to the new style repair.
I know exactly how you feel...I quote from a letter dated 29th APRIL 2013 from VW "please be assured that we are committed to completing this (repair) on your vehicle at the earliest opportunity" THAT's three and a half years ago !!!

Wideawake, 1 minute ago

I was advised by Heritage Bristol there is one warranty claim only and the repaired sections benefit from 12months warranty which then over-writes the 6 year good will warranty from then on. So after a repair you benefit from 12 months protection only on the repaired sections. New corrosion is then not covered.

It goes from grim to grimmer :(

It's bad enough that they won't back up their remedy for the design fault with an extended warranty but to actually void a warranty you already have (that was 6 years for precisely the same fault) is unbelievable.

Did VW void the 6 year warranty for vans they treated with the full-monty repair too or is this just something they are doing as our vans get older and only get the quicky-fix?

I'd really like to know what people treated to the full repair previously were told about their warranty.

It goes from grim to grimmer :(

It's bad enough that they won't back up their remedy for the design fault with an extended warranty but to actually void a warranty you already have (that was 6 years for precisely the same fault) is unbelievable.

Did VW void the 6 year warranty for vans they treated with the full-monty repair too or is this just something they are doing as our vans get older and only get the quicky-fix?

I'd really like to know what people treated to the full repair previously were told about their warranty.

I should have been clear, I'm one of the unlucky ones who is still waiting for a 'new style' repair (having reported it 2+ years ago). Taking Bristol Heritage at face value, it appears if I accept the repair to some sections of the roof then any new corrosion in the areas not repaired will not be covered by the balance of the 6 year 'good will' period.

At the point of accepting the repair the only formal warranty I will end up with12 months for those repaired areas, not the rest of the roof.

In my case, with a 2012 Cali I will loose the remaining 2 years of 'good will' to make any further repairs. My issue is that large sections of the main roof do not display signs of corrosion yet, but in those areas the underlying problem will remain untreated and it is reasonable to expect new corrosion to occur.

I also see that most people are referring to this as a 6 year warranty period, when it has always been verbally described to me as a 'good will' period. The two are materially different and may be the reason for the attitude above to future repairs. I.e. There is no formal contractual position.

I'd love to know if anyone has had the terms of the'good will' explained in writing from VW because it's just not clear to me. Any clarity would be gratefully received.

I've updated the overview of this sorry saga on my blog: https://wildaboutscotland.com/2015/12/07/vw-california-roof-corrosion-key-facts/.

You might find this useful in raising the issue with Watchdog and answering other questions you have. I've aimed to summarise things as best as I could but bearing in mind the original thread now runs to 146 pages (!) I may have missed something or misrepresented an issue, so please let me know if this is the case.

For info, I've updated my summary of the whole roof corrosion saga (so far): https://wildaboutscotland.com/2015/12/07/vw-california-roof-corrosion-key-facts/.

Few have the time or patience to wade through 146 pages of this discussion topic and so last year, in response to suggestions, I tried to summarise things. There have been so many twists and turns in this sorry tale so if any of this is inaccurate or misrepresented please let me know and I'll change it.

Wonder how many they need to look into the story? When does the show air?

For info, I've updated my summary of the whole roof corrosion saga (so far): https://wildaboutscotland.com/2015/12/07/vw-california-roof-corrosion-key-facts/.

Few have the time or patience to wade through 146 pages of this discussion topic and so last year, in response to suggestions, I tried to summarise things. There have been so many twists and turns in this sorry tale so if any of this is inaccurate or misrepresented please let me know and I'll change it.
Ewan, That looks like a pretty good summary to me. One thing I would add, you say look in two places, the gutter at the back of the front section of roof and the perimeter of the raising section under the black edge seal. I would add to that the front edge of the front section of roof above the windscreen - indeed all around the edges of the fixed front section of roof.

There are also reports of people having had problems with the roof hydraulics after a repair which VW have then simply said that's the problem of the garage that did the repair. I believe in at least one case that garage is no longer in business.

Ewan, That looks like a pretty good summary to me. One thing I would add, you say look in two places, the gutter at the back of the front section of roof and the perimeter of the raising section under the black edge seal. I would add to that the front edge of the front section of roof above the windscreen - indeed all around the edges of the fixed front section of roof.

There are also reports of people having had problems with the roof hydraulics after a repair which VW have then simply said that's the problem of the garage that did the repair. I believe in at least one case that garage is no longer in business.

My 2008 Cali developed problems with both front panel and main rood area in around 2011 - repaired under warranty by VW, before the present repair scheme was introduced. Bubbles and peeling paint now reappearing, especially on front panel. I am now out of both original and repair warranty, and in any case am reluctant to let VW near it again.

thinking about alternative repairs to see me through the next year or so before I sell vehicle.

The elevating roof is made of a plastic / fibreglass material. What is the front panel made of?? Seriously, I am tempted to sand it down myself, and use a bitumen product like what we used to do on rot-prone vehicles in the old days, but it would be useful to know exactly what the material is.

any ideas welcome!

Lewis

Definitely both parts of the roof are aluminium.
Have you added your experience to Watchdog?

Seriously, I am tempted to sand it down myself, and use a bitumen product like what we used to do on rot-prone vehicles in the old days, but it would be useful to know exactly what the material is.

any ideas welcome!

Lewis

I think this is the primary concern. Given the material the front panel is made from and the way it's installed on the vehicle, it suffers from galvanic corrosion.

I can't see that there is any reasonably simple/affordable fix for owners with this problem. Normally we could just take it to a body shop and they sand/fill/paint but given the design flaw, that's no longer an option as it'll simply return. (Evidence for this is the early VW repairs).

It's why VW started completely dismantling the roof and rebuilding with new materials and a modified design.

The other option that VW seem now to favour is to glue a plastic cover over it so it doesn't show when it returns. (My worry is whether it'll stay bonded as it corrodes).

In short - I think any fix you can do will fail. That's why there's a bunch of us getting increasingly desperate on this forum - since if VW don't fix it, we are basically stuffed.

Prep it, paint it and then wrap it to keep the water out to prevent the bimetallic corrosion

The problem with galvanic corrosion is that it's almost impossible to prevent by simply coating the parts. The only way to stop it is to break the circuit by insulating the two dissimilar metals from each other.

Bimetallic corrosion requires an electrolyte.

Indeed, but even the smallest amount of moisture provides one.

I have a BMW 5 series that suffers form a similar type of corrosion on one of the trim pieces. It's aluminium with steel clips that hold it in place. Almost whatever you do, the trim corrodes after about 2 years. Compared to the Calli roof it's minor, but still it's annoying and persistent.

I have logged my comments with watchdog today as below
We have a 2011 registered VW California. We bought this in 2012 as the second owner. In 2014 we reported the problem with roof corrosion to VW Bridgwater which serviced our vehicle after a friend with the same vehicle alerted us to this common problem. VW Bridgwater did nothing whatsoever about it and lost our the photos taken by their workshop and that after a 3 hour round journey to show them. We therefore went to VW Westbury who were actually doing the repairs at that time. After a prolonged period of time we were told our warranty claim was accepted in August 2015 and we should wait patiently for about 12 months to get this done. We have heard absolutely nothing so checked today to find that the full repairs have been cancelled and a new list is being assembled for a quickie repair and nobody has even bothered to let us know we need to get on to this list. The technician charged with doing this in Westbury informed me that the spreadsheet he has to fill in to get the work accepted is so complex, he is only able to input them at a rate of 2 per month.
VW have known about this common fault for a very long time but have made no attempt to contact owners and offer inspection. They have left all the onus on the owners, and whilst the early repairs all seem to have been handled to customers satisfaction, they have left us on a long waiting list and then arbitrarily changed the process to a superficial repair and not even had the courtesy to place us on this list automatically.

Wonder how many they need to look into the story? When does the show air?
Well judging by the number of posts on the other threads I seriously thought the Poll would be in the 100's by now. Especially after the Forum email.
62 members have notified Watchdog. I hope that is enough to pique their interest.

Thanks Richard - now updated.

Well, the Forum has just over 9,500 members.
The majority will have T5 or T5.1 Californias. So just to make the sums easy 5000 have T5 variants and the other 5,500 is split amongst T4 and T6 based vehicles.
If 50% of T5 vehicles are affected and only 10% of those owners contacted the BBC then we should have a Poll count of 250 +.
We haven't.
So what conclusions, if any, can be drawn.
The problem is not that widespread.
The majority of affected owners have had their vehicles repaired and are happy.
Only a small minority are having problems with VWCS.
Many owners, if they have a problem, patch it up and sell it on ASAP.

If the BBC take this up then I will be very surprised. But I live in hope.

Roof paint bubbling for the 3rd time on raising section of the roof and now paint peeling off the under frame.

Bet VW say that frame paint is not covered under the paintwork guarantee as it's not part of the main body.

This whole fiasco just gets worse and worse.

Back